The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #16
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Yeah, I was going to recommend Medieval Total War 2 as well. There are a variety of things you can do. You might get annoyed with the constant excommunication from the church that you will face for conquering other christian nations, however. But there are alternatives. You can train an assassin and kill the royal bloodline causing the nation to fall into rebel status, rebels can be conquered without issue. You can assassinate popes and flood the pool with your own cardinals, giving your actions more tolerance. You can always just attack non-christian nations as well.

The nice thing there is that you can choose to manage your battles or not. I generally auto resolve because I get tired of it. (Auto resolve always makes you lose more than you normally would, but your general never dies unless your army cannot retreat. I always fight out battles to the enemies favor, however. Since I can almost always come out on top.

You can send a diplomat to try to buy cities once you have enough economy. Or if you are at war and you make a good enough truce deal you can buy up some cities that way.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #17
welshfreak
: )

Nin should have mentioned he's a Total War nut already. (And rightly so, they're top of the range for their genre). Although my only criticism would be you can do so much, that it can become a little too thinly spread as far as options go, not enough depth within each option. Still a fantastic set of games though, no doubt.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #18
Nindalf

Already got all the Total War games, except the expansions or the first Medieval. While I think that Total Wars have a superior system when it comes to war and conquering new lands, the diplomacy and resources are more lacking (or completely absent) than in Civilization IV. I also don't like the fixed borders thing, though I prefer it to Civilization's weird culture borders. There should be a way to occupy chunks of enemy territory without actually taking their main cities. Not to mention I hate the naval battle system of Total War games.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #19
welshfreak

Don't get the first Medieval either, the battles are just a whisked meal of cat sick pixels shifting in the middle of the screen. I made the mistake of zooming in once and vomiting.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #20
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshfreak
Don't get the first Medieval either, the battles are just a whisked meal of cat sick pixels shifting in the middle of the screen. I made the mistake of zooming in once and vomiting.
The pixels looked like your vomit too. I guess Welshfreak can make shogun total war next!
Old 03-18-2007, 05:15 AM   #21
Diavle

I have never been into these type of games but wouldn't mind giving them a shot, to the ppl that like them, what do you like about them?

Is Civilization 4 a good place to start?
Diavle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:28 AM   #22
Nindalf

As good as any, I suppose. Depends on what you like. If you're more for diplomacy and managing an empire, Civilization IV is a good place to start. If you're into massive combats and more military based strategy Total War series is probably the best. I found Rome: Total War to be more accessible than Medieval II, though. Could just be because I prefer the Roman era to the Medieval era.

I just wish you could choose how to treat different parts of your empires in these games. Completely ridiculous that I'm expected to treat my African or American colonies like my own country. What's history without some good exploitation?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #23
Diavle

Which of these types of games is your personal fave?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:35 AM   #24
Nindalf

I prefer Total War games to Civilizations. At least for me Civilization IV doesn't really peak without online multiplayer, where as Total War is a great single player game. To be honest I got bored of Civilization IV's single player pretty quick, but it's always fun online. Total Wars are just all kinds of awesome, though I've always found the games' money management to be quite flawed.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:36 AM   #25
Diavle

I'll check out Rome: Total War then as I too prefer that setting and am geared more towards single player, major thanks man.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:40 AM   #26
Nindalf

if you like it you should totally try shenmue lol
Old 03-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #27
Diavle

I would but 'unfortunately' my DC sang its last hoorah last week
Old 03-18-2007, 05:58 AM   #28
welshfreak

I know my opinion doesn't actually matter, but Diavle, I seriously recommend Rome Total War.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #29
Diavle

It does, no wait, it doesn't cuz I'm already in the process of acquiring it lol.

Anything good out there centred around Ancient Egypt? And I mean actually good, not because its there. Always loved that part of history.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #30
welshfreak

I've never played Pharaoh but I have friends who at some point have been addicted to it. It's about 8 years old though.

welsh's Rome total war review
Nindalf's Rome Review

Last edited by welshfreak; 03-18-2007 at 06:15 AM.