The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #31
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by someTHING
my dad doesn't want any game that will make him pay monthly to play

Dont worry about your dad. Practically all the mmo's allow you to buy prepaid cards. So just hop over to EB or wherever and say you want a prepaid card for city of heroes or something. They usually come in like 2-3month cards or something. Just enter in the serial key it has and you're set to keep playing as long as you have them.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #32
SuperAngelo64
They call me "Derek G. Wop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Dont worry about your dad. Practically all the mmo's allow you to buy prepaid cards. So just hop over to EB or wherever and say you want a prepaid card for city of heroes or something. They usually come in like 2-3month cards or something. Just enter in the serial key it has and you're set to keep playing as long as you have them.
Oh yeah, forgot about that, when I bought the game I wasn't aware you got your first month free. I also got a 3-month time-card from best buy.

So I basically got off with not using a credit card for a good 4 months
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #33
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinAngelo
I will probably see you on the Test Server once Issue8 heads there =x, I cant wait to get Angel Wings on my Broadsword/Regen.

I usually keep the draw distances for the world details lower than usual, but keep the character details pretty high. I only lag horrible in places like Grandville, which is a lag nightmare:

I also noticed you have a Claws/Ninjitsu/Soul at 50? I'm leveling a Katana/Ninjitsu and thinking about taking Soul Mastery from Ghost Widow. Is it actually a good set of powers or does it just look really badass?
Yeah, Grandville gets lag mostly because 90% of the stuff on the map uses HDR effects. Grandville is mostly video/ram lag. But yeah, it can get really bad, especailly with a lot of people active.

Soul Mastery is alright. Last I checked, it was bugged in PvP and would not let people use break frees to escape it, which was a huge perk once I found that out in Recluse's Victory. I took Widow because it looked cool and it was one of two that fit with my concept (I do RP with my toons sometimes). Given the chance, I'd probably take Black Scorpion now. Sure he has the double redraw, but that isn't too bad. His attacks have a chance to knockdown (like a few of my claws attacks) which is better than the 10 second 5% accuracy debuff Widow's give. The only reason any stalker should take a Patron Power is for the hold and for using it on large groups as an extra placate (taking another enemy out of the fight). This is crazy helpful against groups of 5 or 6 enemies, especailly those that can see through hide like Knives of Artemis, which you'll eventually have a contact putting you up against. The Black Scorpion hold tends to be better than Widow's too, which is crazy since she is the dominator. Her's looks really cool, but in PvP just does a very insignificant DoT damage. Black Scorpions gives -fly and -jump even if the hold effect doesn't take. So it's still useful on those with mez protections.

In PvE, Mako is probably the better choice. His hold is just as nice in terms of PvE (the secondary effects of holds don't matter since they pretty much never make a difference) and he has water spout instead of the snipe, which is a great power for causing chaos and keeping enemies bouncing around instead of attacking you. In PvP, it's Black Scorpion, hands down. Regardless, the Patron Pools kind of such. The ranged attack is weak, even if it crits from hide, as is the snipe. The snipe also has a crazy long rooted time. You can cut back the interrupt time a good bit, but the animation will still take forever. Most the patron powers are just novelty it seems. I took the snipe simply to get to the hold, I use the hold fairly often. I only use the snipe to double a corruptor/dominator snipe, or to pull for a group without one. Sometimes when there is an enemy like a Rikti Drone I'll use it to take them out to prevent them from seeing through my hide when I go in to AS the LT in the group. I'll also use it to pull from groups that are tight together, or to take out one Knive of Artemis before they blow my hide. Hide will be back up by the time they get to me and I can get a second crit with focus, because unless there is only one of them, I probably won't get off an AS due to their seeing through stealth. Snipe, with Build up and a critical out of hide is sometimes enough to one shot an even level minion, sometimes they have a sliver of HP left. Yeah, like I said, it's pretty weak and doesn't get used much. The standard ranged attack is the same. It's about as strong as the second weakest attack in my claws build. Nice for doing damage that is less resisted, but still very poor damage.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #34
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
HOLY CRAP! He's back and he speaks!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:06 AM   #35
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

I might have a key for 2 weeks free of COV if anyone wants to try it?
Old 10-12-2006, 01:11 AM   #36
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

Quote:
would they costs as much as just paying for it online?
Old 10-12-2006, 01:26 AM   #37
Alucard

That depends on if the store is having any specials. I think its slightly more but not really by much. They're good priced cards really.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #38
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

slightly more? oh and no matter what i say, he'll never change his mind and he almost bought it with my new PC too....... but he also almost bought WOW.

eh, my FREE MMORPG'S, Half Life games, Serious Sam 2, and my consoles should last me until i get a job
Old 10-12-2006, 01:55 AM   #39
SuperAngelo64

@ Iori.
Yeah I run through Grandville on 512mb of RAM.. I've got totally raped by Arachnos soldiers between frames when lagging.

Anyhow..

The main reason I was going to go with Widow is because the -accuracy from blinding powder mixed with the -accuracy from the dark powers, along with Ninjitsu's evasion/defense can be pretty insane I hear if slotted correctly (I'm building my stalker more for 1v1 duels). I didn't know they 'fixed' Soul Storm's effect in PvP, does is still do that awesome 'spin your enemy over your head' animation in PvP? Black Scorpion's crap does sound nice, especially with that -jump hold, but that redraw just doesn't sound good. Besides, Katana can do Knockback and Knockup with Soaring Dragon and Golden Dragonfly Techniques/Powers. I personally think Scorpion is the most badass Patron though; He's like a Mexican version of the Juggernaut with am Arm Cannon and a japanese girlfriend, how ****-cool is that?

I was thinking of slotting the snipe attack like
(DMG) (DMG) (DMG) (ACC) (-ToHIT) (-ToHIT).

It just sucks I can't 'try and compare' since these damn Patrons for Villains are permanent. I do agree they feel kind've novelty, but they sure look cool! I get some use from 'em, don't get me wrong. My SuperStrength/Dark/Soul Brute with his Fury built up can two-shot entire groups of +1's with a Foot Stomp/Dark Obliteration combo. I was hoping the Stalker snipes would be as awesome as that, but from you say I should prepare myself to be bummed =\.

Just curious though, how do you have the Snipe slotted?

EDIT: Does anyone really take the 4th tier Arachnos summon powers from the Patron sets?

The ONLY one that looked cool was Black Scorpions where you summon a bunch've little tiny robot spiders.

Bee Tee Dubya, what's your global?

Last edited by PaladinAngelo; 10-12-2006 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:26 AM   #40
Alucard

When I say slightly more I mean like $2-$5 more. Nothing huge. But thats just me covering myself because I really dont know how much they go for in your stores. Here they're roughly the same as a credit card. By roughly I mean like $1 out. Go check up the cards if you're curious.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:04 AM   #41
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinAngelo
@ Iori.
Yeah I run through Grandville on 512mb of RAM.. I've got totally raped by Arachnos soldiers between frames when lagging.

Anyhow..

The main reason I was going to go with Widow is because the -accuracy from blinding powder mixed with the -accuracy from the dark powers, along with Ninjitsu's evasion/defense can be pretty insane I hear if slotted correctly (I'm building my stalker more for 1v1 duels). I didn't know they 'fixed' Soul Storm's effect in PvP, does is still do that awesome 'spin your enemy over your head' animation in PvP? Black Scorpion's crap does sound nice, especially with that -jump hold, but that redraw just doesn't sound good. Besides, Katana can do Knockback and Knockup with Soaring Dragon and Golden Dragonfly Techniques/Powers. I personally think Scorpion is the most badass Patron though; He's like a Mexican version of the Juggernaut with am Arm Cannon and a japanese girlfriend, how ****-cool is that?

I was thinking of slotting the snipe attack like
(DMG) (DMG) (DMG) (ACC) (-ToHIT) (-ToHIT).

It just sucks I can't 'try and compare' since these damn Patrons for Villains are permanent. I do agree they feel kind've novelty, but they sure look cool! I get some use from 'em, don't get me wrong. My SuperStrength/Dark/Soul Brute with his Fury built up can two-shot entire groups of +1's with a Foot Stomp/Dark Obliteration combo. I was hoping the Stalker snipes would be as awesome as that, but from you say I should prepare myself to be bummed =\.

Just curious though, how do you have the Snipe slotted?

EDIT: Does anyone really take the 4th tier Arachnos summon powers from the Patron sets?

The ONLY one that looked cool was Black Scorpions where you summon a bunch've little tiny robot spiders.

Bee Tee Dubya, what's your global?
The accuracy debuff from Widow's isn't that great even when slotted. I use blinding powder with three acc, three recharge. It comes up about every 60 seconds. Actually, I might have it with 3 acc, two recharge, one debuff. The recharge would only be 4-6 second difference I think. I recently respeced to do some tweaking and I'm not completely sure about how I have it slotted now.

The knockup/back on your powers (much like the ones on my claws) won't be good for anything that has knockback resistances. Acrobatics will be enough for anyone to be a pain in your ass. There are blasters that I can't knockdown in Siren's Call because they took acrobatics with their SJ/CJ. However, with Scorpion, at least in Recluse's Victory, you can prevent an enemy from jumping away (this includes jumping around you for jousting, you can prevent then from flying, and can knock them out of the air if you don't have air superiority, and it even slows down their recharge for 10 seconds or so by 25% or 50%, I can't recall.

You can always copy over to the test server a few times and try them out that way. If you intend to do any serious PvP in RV, especailly if you plan on going 1 vs 1 without being energy melee (**** EM). Then you want black scorpion. The double redraw is a very minor issue for the ability to keep enemies pinned. You can -jump/-fly them and then very easily nail them with caltrops for added slow, tick damage, and keeping them in place for a while as you hop back and forth striking them. You can placate outside of the caltrops and then hop in with an attack and hop out before they can follow and get some extra critical damage that way. At most, they can hit you once as you move in, or twice if they have something like laser beam eyes. But unless you go in, they are completely limited to ranged attacks.

I know there are a few dominators that take Sirocco's pet power. He has a heal other that he uses. It is fine for some who prefer not to waste a power slot to get aid self. They simply take their shield, the massive end drain/refill, or the AoE ranged damage attack, and then a pet that heals them as well as adding more damage.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #42
SuperAngelo64

Bah, I'm really starting to get sick of EM. I hope they nerf it soon =P (atleast the negligable HP 'drain' from Energy Transfer). Not that I am jealous or anything, I have a lvl 45 Fire/EM Tanker that kicks total ass in PvP.

I usually don't think with RV in mind much, I think more in terms of base raiding (when they fix the damn CoP). I admit, I do want Soul Mastery to fit my character's 'theme', but Mace Mastry from Scorpion is looking damn good now.. I think I may roll a 'fotm' Stalker for the heck of it and get Mace then.. I'm stuck on using my few remaining slots though.. the devs said they are releasing 10 new powersets in 07! I guess for now I will stick to PvP on my Broadsword/Regen/Body... but thanks for enlightning me on Scorpion's Patron set, I will definately be taking that in the future (-jump = sitting duck for most people's PvP builds).

I guess the Darkness from the Patron sets pale a little compared to Heroes' Epic sets. I have Darkness Mastery or whatever the hell it's called on my Broadsword/Invuln and the debuff surprisingly works in PvP and PvE. 'Fearsome Stare' is awesome for unsuspecting people who dont think Scrappers have any Hold attacks.

It's so hard to find any good info on the official boards for Patron Power sets.

Oh and what's this about Scirocco's set giving a Heal other?! That sounds awesome. I have a Psi/Psi dom who I've had planned to take Mu Mastery. I thought the first power was end recov, not hp, did they change it?! If so I'm going to be playing my Dom later on! (I haven't played the game at all this week.. lawl, I need to lvlupzzzzzzz!) I've been having waaay too much fun with my Brute (I replaced 'jab' (minor damage) with the Fighting Pools 'Boxing'.. same animation.. but moderate damage.. he combos like a muthafucker, I was in Bloody Bay (Newbieville) trying to get a plaque and some Scrapper tried to sneak up on me (He was something stupid like a Martial Arts/Dark Armor), so with his Martials arts combos and my S.Strength combos going off.. my Fury meter reached 70% in like 8 seconds. Wow.. kinda went off topic there..

Man I am a total dork for this game. I really thought it was going to be dumb, my girlfriend at the time convinced me to buy it. The bitch spoiled me with her lvl 50 Empathy/Psychic/Power Defender.

Last edited by PaladinAngelo; 10-12-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #43
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

I must not have been clear. I mean that many dominators plan on taking Scirocco's Patron Pool because of the pet. There are four powers, the "meh" AoE attack. The very nice shield giving 20% resistances to smashing, lethal, and energy damage. That energy damage resistance is nice. The PBAoE attack is an endurance drain. In PvE for every enemy it hits, you gain 25% endurance. If you hit four enemies will it, you can refill your endurance completely. (I haven't seen or tested that one, not sure if it's totally accurate). The pet has a variety of powers, but the reason many take it is because the pet will fairly reliably use Heal Other on you (or teammates). It's the only pet that does something aside from damage with a secondary effect of -acc, slow, or something like that. It does the attacks with end drain and will fairly reliably use heal other.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #44
SuperAngelo64

I hear the 'pet' summons don't last very long though, like 5 minutes or something. I'll still probably pass on it.

(When you typed "Scirocco's pet power" I read it as "Scirocco's patron power", my bad.)

I still consider myself a bit of a newb with the Villainside stuff, and make stupid mistakes... like 3 slotting Kuji-In Rin, crap like that.

Last edited by PaladinAngelo; 10-13-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #45
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

Quote:
When I say slightly more I mean like $2-$5 more. Nothing huge. But thats just me covering myself because I really dont know how much they go for in your stores. Here they're roughly the same as a credit card. By roughly I mean like $1 out. Go check up the cards if you're curious.
i might check if i got pre-order a wii....... that is if my Gamestop has any and if they arent low on wii's.