The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #16
Seraph
>:3

then why is this guy calling these little expansion packs HL3? (the point of the thread)
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #17
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

seraph, you seem to have a big misconception of what Half Life 2 is about. Gordon Freeman is the main character, but he never speaks or appears in any cutscene. You "become him" in this way because all of the game's story takes place in-game.

I know you are probably not be interested by FPS storylines because it's usually just a pretext to kill a ton of monsters. In Half Life's case, the game's story serves to immerse you in what's going on in the game. It's done pretty seamlessly, and you never feel like you're being jolted out of a game and into a story sequence.

In any case, I hope they get these episodes out more frequently than once a year. That would be lame.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #18
Seska
Slurp

Supposedly next episode is due end of the year. Knowing Valve, it will more likely be beginning of next, but thats fine. Like most people, I prefer a polished 6 hours of gameplay every 6-8 months than 20 hours every 5 years.

Besides, episode content is meant to be only 3 eps long. After ep 3 they will probably dive headfirst into HL3, and well be waiting for the next 5 years again.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #19
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
What happened with this game? I thought it looked interesting. I'm too lazy to do any Googling myself, so you can do it for me.
They claim itll be out this year. I say vaporware like duke nukem. ITs gotten so old it doesnt look impressive anymore.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #20
Seraph

lol, guys i like gordon freeman. hes a wuss, but hes still the hero, i think thats pretty cool.

im just not a fan of any FPS story. i stopped playing HL2 single player when i got to the part where you get those pods that control the antlions. The story just didnt grab me in like a MGS or FF does. I didnt care what happened, and at that point shooting guys was getting kinda old so i just stopped. Now since then ive played multiplayer HL2 and loved it.

Shooting guys, throwing objects, breaking just about everything. That stuff was all awesome. storyline? not what i consider one of the "fun" parts of the game.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #21
Alucard

People actually played HL2 because of the way the stages were laid out and the gameplay. MGS3 had CRAP level design. So technically you are choosing story over gameplay/substance.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #22
Seraph

ive never played MGS3, and i generally dont like MGS gameplay. I wont lie, i play MGS for the story and story alone.

im not saying HL2 was a bad game because of its story. Im just saying the story isnt what grabbed me about the game.

im not chosing one over the other, i like it all.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #23
Alucard

No I'm just confused by your point of view. I mean I consider FF to have some of the weakest stories and character development of any rpg series. The reason most people play it is because of the same battle system and the over marketed FF name that makes you want to buy the next one, not because the last one was good but because its an FF game.

HL2 had excellent levels, great gameplay, originality, a brilliant engine, and a fairly solid story. I mean even if you tuned out of the story, you should of been able to keep playing easily. Especially at the insect area. Controlling the swarm of insects to kill people was damn fun.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #24
Seraph

well post FF7 i havent enjoyed a FF story. Its why I think square has lost it. but 4,5,6,7 all sucked me in. I actually at one point in 7 was bored with the Magic>Fire3>All>Confirm>Watch-FireCG-for-the-500th-time crap. The only reason I kept playing the game was beacuse I wanted to know what happened. Thats what a good story should do. halflife never made me feel that way, the only reason i kept going in that game was to have more guys to shoot.

I really dont play RPG's for their "gameplay". since you basicly need the strategy brain of a 5 year old to beat them. I like games that require skill.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #25
Seska
Slurp

But.. HL2 requires skill!!

Error!Error! Does not compute!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #26
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

So, Half Life 3 guys?
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #27
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
it's never coming out!! NEVER!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #28
Alucard

EEEVEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #29
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Screw Half Life 3, I want Half Life 2: Episode 3.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #30
bujeezus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
considering i cant stand "the epic single player content of the gordon freeman tale" id rather have a new halflife3 in 5 years.

so this basicly means the HL series is done being cool? in 5 years when we see games like UnrealTournament 2011, halflife will only be at "Halflife2: Episode 5!!".

I hope im not right, i was really looking forward to what Valve would come up with in the future.
funny bringin this old thread back up. episode 5 indeed...
bujeezus is offline   Reply With Quote