The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-16-2005, 12:57 PM   #16
Anthrax

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2484 - Good read if you're interested in Dual Core.

I built my computer last week and it's running great. I've been doing video encoding and play games most of the time on this PC. The biggest advantage is of course multitasking. I can do full 2 hours video encoding from mpeg2 to xvid in 20-35 minutes while playing Battlefield 2.

DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
BFG 7800GTX
SeaSonic 600W
4x 512mb Mushkin XP4000 Redline 3.4v 2-2-2-6
2.4 Terabyte Total HD Space
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #17
Seska
Slurp

Athlons melting down was back in the day when Mobos didnt have any overheating protection functions. In particular, I rememebr a Toms Hardware video wehre he had Quake 3 running, and showed the effect of removing the HSF on a Pentium, and on the Athlon. In the case of the Pentium, framerate would crawl down to 1FPS or soemthing like that, while the Athlon just FRIED a hole into the mobo.

Since then, AMDs have gone a GREAT length to ensure heat security for Athlons: the latest Athlon 64 CPUS are both hard-encoded in the CPU to shutdown the moment they reach critical temp, and MOBOS are also prepare to cut it all off if you reach past that point. In fact, some of the newer cores run even cooler than their PEntium counterparts.

Intel are going to be releasing a new CPU soon though, they are boasting its the next gen since its supposedly lowering the heat output by a very great deal. Well have to wait and see, last time they heralded the "next gen" of CPUs, all they did was present multicores.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:38 PM   #18
Seraph
>:3

If I post some parts I picked out will you guys help guide me? I don?t want to accidentally pick out incompatible things or buy something that looks good on paper, but performs like garbage
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #19
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Yes we will help you. We have done so for many members in the past. And once you build your first computer, you will probally never buy a pre-built again. Its only a 3-5 hour process building yours, and you will see such a performance increase. Plus you can be proud of your own work, unless you consider ordering it from a magazine or website work.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:41 PM   #20
Seraph

im not really concerned about performace increase, more about cost than anything else.

Since im ordering all my parts from newegg.com does anyone know of a cool case they sell? I would like to get one with a window and a front drive door, but everyone i look at looks really gaudy. anything that screams sleek and not "OMG,ICANTSQUEEZEANYMORELED'SINTHISTHING"
Old 08-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #21
ovejon

When it comes to building a computer a good case is important. If you have plenty of money to spare consider a lian-li (aluminum case) with a fortron or antec psu to power the pc. It will cause you less headache, trust me on that ;)
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:29 AM   #22
Seska
Slurp

I disagree, cases aint that important unless you plan on keeping them shut. Leaving them open is always better for ventilation andheat management. BEtter off spending the cash on a really good HSF or even Water cooling instead of an expensive aluminium case. :p

Also important is your monitor - are you using your old one? If not, what type are you getting? LCD is comfortable and space saving, but not really recommendable for the Gaming PC - you get crisper picture quality (lower dot size), higher resolutions and refresh rates from CRTs/Flat tubes, not to mention they are generally cheaper.

I recommend a 19" Mitsubishi Diamondtron. Lovely flat-screen monitor. I was used to a rally crappy brand before this one (Hansol), and didnt realize how bad it was till I tried the Mitsubishi. Now when I look back at the quality displayed on my old monitor, my eyes scream in agony. :p

Last edited by Seska; 08-17-2005 at 07:32 AM.
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #23
Seraph

Im keeping my old monitor, and holy crap! its a Dimaondtron! your a psycic! i love that monitor, it goes up to 2000 something by 1500 something resolution and i love it. the only problem i have is that if i turn it off, the next time i turn it on it takes a LONG time to warm up, and while its warming up the right side of the screen is cut off (like id have to adjust its screen position). I think thats just because its old though.

I looked at Lian-li cases, but i dont get it. whats the big deal about them? why do they cost so much? they are just plain generic black cases. a side window isnt that important to me, but i would at least like the front of my case to have some kind of accent or flare. And i really like those bay doors (the ones you can close the door on your drive trays/power button and lock it)

is there anything else i should be considering for a case other than cosmetics?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:09 AM   #24
Daos
One Tainted Donut

I'm actually building my first computer!
Since I've never done it before, I'm going on the cheap side, getting an ECS Socket 739 mobo and an AMD 64 3200 for $169.99. This way, if I screw up, it won't be as much money as screwing an AMD FX52. That would hurt!
Anyway, overall I'll be spending about $500. In another couple of months I'll spend money on a better system. But for now, this is just a learning experience.

I actually have a Fry's Electronics store around where I live, so that's a one-stop shop for me.

I wouldn't get a dual core. There's no need for one now.

As for the whole AMD vs. Intel, I'm definately going with AMD. I love my AMD! Though it's a little too old right now.

As for the case, you should look at fans and the power supply (if it has one).
Daos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #25
Alucard

739.. Dont you mean 939? Make sure the board you buy is extra spiffy. The better it is, the more it'll support and wont need to be replaced for a good 5 years.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #26
ovejon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
I disagree, cases aint that important unless you plan on keeping them shut. Leaving them open is always better for ventilation andheat management. BEtter off spending the cash on a really good HSF or even Water cooling instead of an expensive aluminium case. :p
Well you make a good point there seska, I recommended an aluminum case because of preferance and becuase i've found that aluminum cases are better built than steel. The way the case is built and laid out can ease the process of building a computer. Having a removable mobo tray makes things a lot easier. You also have to consider the drive bays and see if they are screwless or not and if they have other things like noise dampening. Another thing to consider is portability. Do you plan to take the computer to your friends house or to a lan party? Having an aluminum case is a lot lighther.

seraph, people rave about lian-li cases becuase they are well built, they have good ventilation, and they're made with aluminum. problem with aluminum case is that they're more expensive than steel case. Then again, any well built steel case will cost around $100.

Ohh as for HSF, I recommend thermalright hs (XP-90) with a panaflo fan. Watercooling is a bitch to work with for a first timer.
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #27
Anthrax

If you like Full towers, I recommend Cooler Master Stacker. It has 11 drive bays and good cooling from 3x 120mm intake, 1x 120mm exhaust, 1x crossflow, 2x 80mm from side and top.

As for cooling, stock heatsink and fan works fine with a good airflow case. I'm running stock hs/f @ 220mhz (2.2ghz to 2.42ghz) and my idle temp is 34, full is 43C. I think Lian-Li cases are overrated. But whatever fit your shoes.
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:31 PM   #28
rgmxp
That-whats-his-face-guy.

Meh to all the tower cases...next PC I'm building will go inside a server rack!
rgmxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:48 PM   #29
Seraph

I dont like the cool master stacker. To big, and too expensive, i liked how it looked though.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:44 PM   #30
Daos
One Tainted Donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
739.. Dont you mean 939? Make sure the board you buy is extra spiffy. The better it is, the more it'll support and wont need to be replaced for a good 5 years.
Oops. My apologies, I meant 754. I was thinking of 754 and 939 at the same time and that's what popped out. My mobo is good, not great. This is my first system, so I'm going cheap. I don't expect to use this for more than a year. This is just a project. Anyway, I'm about to install my cpu on my mobo, something I've been dreading for quite a while. I have never installed a cpu, applied thermal past, nor attached the heatsink before, so wish me luck! If Atlanta blows up, it wasn't me .
Daos is offline   Reply With Quote