The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 10-27-2004, 05:57 AM   #1
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Game renders vs the real game itself

As many of you know, companies use rendered screenshots to advertise their games nowadays. Very rarely does a game look as good on your TV (even with component or VGA connection) as it does in the official company renders. We see shots of upcoming games that look awesome like Ninja Gaiden or Gran Turismo 4 and we say "OMG OMG this gmae is gonna r0xorZ OMG OMG I cant beleeve it it looks so gud lololol!". Yes, tht is what we all say, verbatim. Then we get the game and we say "OMG this game looks like teh suXorZ!!! Teh grfx not as gud as they sed! OMG I am gunna shoot myself and my family now!"

Check out a Sony rendered shot for Gran Turismo 4:

And now check out what Gran Turismo 4 looks like on a real PS2 EXACTLY:

It should be noted that the bottom shot is a real video capture from the game. GTA4 will not even support 480p (progressive scan) so it only has an effective resolution of 240 lines at any given time. The above shot was not sized down at all, and yes, it will have the black border. Due to overscan on most TV's, you most likely will not see the black border.

But PS2 is not the only ystem guilty of this! Tecmo LOVES to do it too. Check out Dead or Alive X-Treme Beach Volleyball.

First, the render:

And now the real game on a real Xbox (in widescreen mode)

Once again this is the size of the real game image. No black borders, but also no anti-aliasing either. Just look at all the jaggies everywhere! Yuck! The rendered shot is extremely doctored.

My whole point:
Don't judge game graphics by the screens you see in magazines and on the internet. They are most likely doctored/rendered. The game will only rarely look as good as the pics you see. Yes, there are indeed exceptions. Just not enough.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 07:24 AM   #2
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Is the last picture done in 480P?
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Wow. Can't wait to see how DoAU looks in comparison to the renders Tecmo feeds out. Actually, I'll find out today. I did watch my brother play it on his OXM demo disc.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:29 AM   #4
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

G.I. Joe...American Hero....

Yo Joe! Can you explain how a company creates a rendered shot?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Nem
Smash bro!

MGS3 is also a good example of what Joe is talking about. Those Screens are just too clean.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Indeed.

However, the game still looks great and the ingame shown at TGS which looks comparibly ****ty on REAL player, still looks impressive. We shall see.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Wow. Can't wait to see how DoAU looks in comparison to the renders Tecmo feeds out. Actually, I'll find out today. I did watch my brother play it on his OXM demo disc.

He played a video or a Demo? I havn't gotten my december issue yet (those cock bites) so I don't know what's on it.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:32 AM   #8
Alistein

For the DOA the screen you showed was quite small and the game actually looks like the first screen. Also you need to check the screens well to see before making your judgements. And for most games on xbox you need to check just what version it is as in maybe standard tv ,component or HDTV.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
bemanisuperstar
Banned

Not to incite the flames of War here
but DOA U looks as good as the So Called "render"
I own the game so I have room to speak I don't have a Widescreen I have an RCA set up and even then my games look good almost as good as the so called "renders"

I cannot speak for GT4 but it would make sense it not look as good as the shots sony has been giving us. SImply becuase the PS2 doesn't have that power.

Microsoft,Tecmo and whom ever delvelops for them need not put out "Renders"

as an example Rallisport Challenge 2 looks as good as it's screen shots.

You can't just post a screen and say it looks like crap because people that own the game and have seen it in motion know better.

Last edited by bemanisuperstar; 10-27-2004 at 01:04 PM.
bemanisuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:16 PM   #10
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Quote by Joe Redifer
Quote:
My whole point:
Don't judge game graphics by the screens you see in magazines and on the internet. They are most likely doctored/rendered. The game will only rarely look as good as the pics you see. Yes, there are indeed exceptions. Just not enough.
This is his point dumbass!

It's like looking a Playboy. The pics are so doctored up they make the girls look perfect but once you see them in real life they have blemishes and mole etc... I once met Jenny McCarthy when she first posed in Playboy. Although she was very good looking in person you could tell she was air brushed for her magazine layout.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:27 PM   #11
bemanisuperstar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicviper
Quote by Joe Redifer

This is his point dumbass!

It's like looking a Playboy. The pics are so doctored up they make the girls look perfect but once you see them in real life they have blemishes and mole etc... I once met Jenny McCarthy when she first posed in Playboy. Although she was very good looking in person you could tell she was air brushed for her magazine layout.
Well I don't see a game cube example?

and I already Debunked DOA X

most games look as good as their shots.

Playboy and Games are different things (well there's that Playboy game which will suck)

I'd say 80% of games are as good looking as their screen shots.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

At least the Tecmo renders and in game shots are fairly close in quality. The GT series, the difference has always been great. I have always felt that Tecmo has released a bunch of in game shots as well, when they send out preview shots and were never trying to trick people into thinking the game looked better than it actually was.

Last edited by Havoc2049; 10-27-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:30 PM   #13
bemanisuperstar
Banned

I really don';t think Tecmo uses "renders" the games look quite good on their own.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:32 PM   #14
1337haxxor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariX
At least the Tecmo renders and in game shots are fairly close in quality. The GT series, the difference has always been great. I have always felt that Tecmo has released a bunch of in game shots as well, when they send out preview shots and were never trying to trick people into thinking the game looked better than it actually was.

is she sitting on that hippo?
1337haxxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #15
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

BlindMaphisto ~ "He played a video or a Demo? I havn't gotten my december issue yet (those cock bites) so I don't know what's on it"

Yeah, the demo disc actually sucks except for DoAU. It was supposed to come out here today but isn't coming out 'till tommorrow. Those bastards!

1337haxxor ~ "is she sitting on that hippo?"

No, Hitomi just smashed Tina's sh*t and she got slammed into it.