The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-23-2005, 06:33 AM   #16
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivenlocke
I would venture to say that is an exaggeration. While the list for best games of the 80s and 90s might be a mixed bag, I wouldn't be bold to say a good deal of these games did come from the US. For example:

Ultima 1,3,4,6, and 7
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
System Shock
Warcraft
Dune 1 & 2
Command and Conquer 1
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Starcraft
AD&D Gold Box Series
Bard's Tale 1, 2, and 3
MECH F'N WARRIOR 1 and 2
Elite (oh, my beautiful, beautiful Elite)
Wolf 3D
Doom
Starflight 1 & 2

I'm going to stop now...I could be here for a long time if I reminice too much.

You just made me cry with that list. You should add in all those other awesome AD&D related games, and especially the Forgotten Worlds ones! Back when Mechwarrior was bloody cool, and oh...oh...Bards Tale... How they BUTCHERED you today..
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:32 PM   #17
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
I'd be more worried about all the talented and creative developers/programmers who are jobless. Where are these people going to work? Will they start up more smaller game studios and, if so, where are they going to find the financial loans and assistance necessary, much less make a name for themselves via the corporate-owned gaming media?
That just leads back to what we were saying before. Yes they're getting jobs, and they've been getting them from big companies and some have started their own companies. However, the people who get positions with big companies end up making mainstream stuff (some good, most bad) and the ones who start their own companies either A) go under again or B) join themselves at the hip with larger partners (think Obsidian who is delt Bioware's scraps).
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:39 AM   #18
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Perhaps many of them go into other businesses with interests in computer programmers and other similar special fields such as CG animation.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote