The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
ovejon

Holy Sh*t! Apple goes for Intel Cpu

It's confirmed, Apple is switching over to x86 and they're choosing Intel as their future chip supplier.

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. (Nasdaq:AAPL - news) on Monday said it will shift to using Intel Corp. (Nasdaq:INTC - news) microprocessors in its
Macintosh computers, severing its long relationship with International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM - news), which had supplied chips to Apple.
ADVERTISEMENT

Apple said it will begin delivering Macintosh products using Intel microprocessors by this time next year and will have all of its all flagship Macintosh computers using Intel processors by the end of 2007.

Apple has publicly expressed frustration with IBM as a supplier in recent quarters. IBM had problems producing enough working versions of its PowerPC 970 chip, which Apple calls the G5. Also, IBM has yet to produce a version of the G5 that consumes less power and would be suitable for use in Apple's laptop personal computers.

"This is not going to be a transition that happens overnight. It's going to happen over a few years," Apple co-founder and CEO
Steve Jobs said.

The move by Apple, which has been the subject of speculation for more than a decade, is a high-profile win for Intel, the world's largest chipmaker, and a blow to IBM, whose PowerPC chips are used in Apple's desktop PCs, and Freescale Semiconductor Inc.(NYSE:FSL - news), which provides chips used in Apple's laptop PCs and the Mac Mini.

Apple has a near 2 percent share of the global personal computer market, but after years of decline it is now gaining on its rivals as its iPod music players re-establish the firm as a trendsetter in design and software.

Apple also said it expects Microsoft Corp.(Nasdaq:MSFT - news) and Adobe Systems Inc. (Nasdaq:ADBE - news) to create future versions of Microsoft Office and Creative Suite, respectively, for the Macintosh that support both Power PC and Intel processors. Adobe is the maker of document-sharing software that is the near-standard on PCs.

The switch to Intel chips will be expensive, complicated and could cost Apple some of its share of the global PC market, analysts have said.

"It could cost hundreds of millions (of dollars) of re-engineering. It's not easy work. It's deep work at the base of the (software) kernel," said analyst Brian Gammage at research group Gartner.

Apple share were down 2 cents at $38.22 on Nasdaq. IBM shares were down 44 at $75.35 on the
New York Stock Exchange. Intel shares were down 17 cents at $27.16 on Nasdaq. (With additional reporting by Spencer Swartz and Lisa Baertlein in San Francisco, Lucas van Grinsven in Amsterdam, and Joseph Giannone in New York)
Source

There it is guys. And here I was hoping that Apple would jump to AMD's camp rather than go with Intel.
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I would have always thought it be cooler if they went to AMDs. If Intel doesn't work out, who's to say they wont? Well just see. Apple has been making some good moves lately, maybe this one is a winner too.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:07 AM   #3
Alucard

Its more plausible they would go with Intel since their chipset is better when it comes to apps and other work related stuff. Its weaker in games to the AMD. So since AMD is direct opposite of that, and the Apple isnt really known for its countless games and more to do with work related stuff, Intel was the better choice. The more EXPENSIVE choice sadly, and Intel is going to make a crap load of money from this.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:15 AM   #4
Thunder Force 6
No longer ironic.

Well I'll be God-damned. Though I must agree that AMD would seem the wiser choice.

Surely this is in the Book of Revelation somewhere...
Thunder Force 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
ovejon

I've been reading some more about this and the reason Apple chose Intel is becuase they can offer chip that uses less watts. That strikes me odd becuase the Pentium 4 dissipates a lot of watt and heat compared to the Athlon 64 by AMD. Either way Intel has a lot of products that Apple can use in their computer and I'm pretty sure the first thing they're going to do is update their laptops with Pentium M processors. This is something they've been wanting to do, they've waiting for IBM to release a low watt chip of their g5 processors. Things like this leads me to believe that choosing Intel over AMD was a good decision.
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

From what all I gathered after talking to other Mac guys, Intel seems to be the choice for the new Macs because, as mentioned above, they are good at making chips for laptops. Apparently Apple is not all happy with IBM because they are not improving the PowerPC tech to great or something. Intel is also a large chip company who can offer a wide range of chips under 64bits, but have been testing 64 bit chips for a few years now. Right now to me, this info doesn't seem to ground shaking. I mean, it's just a chip right? Its no like Macs will be a buggy as Windows from it.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

What, Apple doesnt want to use the CELL!!!!??? There is also a class action lawsuit against Apple because the battery inside the first generations of the ipod didnt last as long as they said. I heard something like it would cost them $50 for each customer who bought a first gen ipod.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Reality
Sin and Punishment

The first and second gen iPod really. I wonder how it works though. I suppose it only applies to those who registered theirs. I don't think I did mine.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #9
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Apple is staying in the 32-bit world with the Intel chips. That's right... they won't be using Intel 64-bit chips!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote