The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #16
Catharsis
FURIOUS Dan FTW

I would sugest for someone that isnt all the well versed in PC assembly to just guy a new PC. The work is harder then it may be worth for someone that isnt handy with that sort of thing.

Armory Link
Catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #17
Alucard

Buying is only good if you can specifically choose all your custom parts. You can always have someone put it together for you. But whats a real waste is paying for stuff that you could either get ALOT cheaper elsewhere or better parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
How long do you think it will take for Vista to get the major bugs and compatability issues ironed out? If I recall correctly, every OS M$ comes out with takes a while to be patched into stability. I don't want to get all hyped over DX10 if not a lot of games are taking advantage of it for a while AND Vista won't be ready until a year after its release. I'd rather get a higher end system now and wait to upgrade.

Besides video cards, is there anything else we have to look out for when "buying to upgrade" (something i've never successfully done)? Will the RAM I buy now become useless? Will I have to get a new mobo and powersource?
I think XP got patched in its first 5months and was perfectly stable and good. I think MS is probably getting more used to doing stuff unlike the wretched win95 days. XP was actually pretty good. With luck Vista will be pretty good from day 1 but I'm waiting till around june/july to see how it goes. As for ram, that all depends on whether you stick with AMD or go the Intel Core Duo way. Then yeah it'll matter.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #18
Decado

I'll probably wind up with Intel Core Duo. Seems like the best value now, particularly with the upcoming price drop.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 04:41 PM   #19
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

so is it safe to go ahead and get the 7600 then just take it out when i get my new pc?
Old 12-26-2006, 12:55 AM   #20
Alucard

Yeah as long as you order the correct card and not the pci-e version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=48

Theres an example of the cards you can choose on. I'd recommend the XFX 7600GS for $129. Very good card. Will play alot of games at high detail. Though I need to stress that your powersupply be over 400. If its under then you're gonna have issues.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #21
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

the pc that i mentioned i built myself some years back so i had to get what was cheap and i wasn't exactly working full time so i got what was handy. but now since i got my cash rolling again i'm gonna splurge a little.

now i need a good mobo recommendation because the new pc i'm building is going to kinda be my new gaming hub i sort of moved away from consoles because they cost too much now and not to have any good games screw pretty graphics i need a game that's actually fun to play and the games for the new consoles also are too expensive.

i like consoles fine but until they come down in price i guess i'll be pc gaming for a while. and the power supply that i have is a 680 watt.