The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Holy antitrust batman! AMD + Nvidia

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36258

Nvidia, AMD accused of conspiracy to keep graphics pricing high

Antitrust litigation pours in

By INQUIRER staff: Friday 08 December 2006, 18:23

A FLURRY OF ANTITRUST CLASS actions (code 410) has started in the USA against Nvidia, ATI and AMD.
It never rains but it pours, but this is a blizzard of people with many joining in an antitrust action accusing the firms of manipulating prices.

Summons were issued by one Trong Nguyen on behalf of himself and others against Nvidia, ATI, and AMD. Lots of other plaintiffs have joined in, following news that ATI and Nvidia received summons from the Department of Justice (DoJ) for unspecified reasons, as we reported on the 1st of December, here. Intel did not receive a subpoena from the DoJ. It does not make discrete graphics processor units and hasn't done for quite a while.

The allegation is that Nvidia, ATI and AMD conspired to manipulate graphics card pricing, while the filing seen by the INQ said the DoJ has demanded a heap of data going back to the late 1990s.

The allegations cite sources saying that the price points of graphics cards are practically always the same - at around $500 for the top end stuff.

The allegation is the defendants and co-conspirators "have engaged in a contract combination, trust or conspiracy, the effect of which was to raise the prices at which they sold graphics processing units and cards to artificially inflated levels."

Executives of the company are also alleged to have had meetings and conversations to discuss pricing of graphics processing units and cards in the US.

Further, there are allegations that the defendants concealed this behaviour, which would constitute a cartel, if a judge or the DoJ found against them. UK reps of the firms concerned could not be contacted at press time, as it is after 6PM on a Friday here.

* THE IRONY continues, here in the AMD versus Intel antitrust case

-----------------

I wonder if we wait long enough if all the high end cards will be cheaper after this is settled
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Hahah beautiful. If we are lucky maybe we will see some major price cuts.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
Alucard

I'm not exactly sure how its an antitrust issue since you basically charge what you want for your product. But it definately would rock if they were forced to lower the prices. Dont see it happening though.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

300 for a gtx= huge erection.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I knows! I'm actually going to wait after I read that, cause you never know, I would laugh if something of a price drop does happen, even if it's of 100 bucks, still good enough to get that.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
flowForth
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
I'm not exactly sure how its an antitrust issue since you basically charge what you want for your product. But it definately would rock if they were forced to lower the prices. Dont see it happening though.
Basically, when you release a product, you give it an initial price and then thereafter you let the market decide just what it truly is worth. For example, if demand for the product is high and supplies are low the value is raised. If it's in excess and sells poorly, the price drops. In the market, a price isn't supposed to be fixed - at least not normally.

However, some businesses may collude to fix prices at an artificially high level all the time for maximum profits. That's price fixing and pretty much results in price gouging for customers.

Personally, I don't find this surprising if the allegations are true.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
shinobi00
Hyper Ninja 100%

I find it kind of funny that the 360 uses an early version of the R600 and the entire 360 package is cheaper then what the R600 card is going to be(sans the dx10 of course).

Prices have to come down some. This is pretty unbelivable. It's like they didn't mind competiing with each other because there was more money it for both of them. Big business always trying to get over on the consumer.

Last edited by shinobi00; 12-11-2006 at 08:12 PM.
shinobi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
Alexander
I speak with codes.

This seems very likely and if it turns out to be true, I can definitely see some price drops, because that would be a

and those are illegal, bub.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote