The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-12-2004, 11:51 PM   #496
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

You mean as far as graphically? Castlevania ~ Aria of Sorrow and Mario & Luigi.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:10 AM   #497
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Too bad only Japan got Dragon Force II. Tough game to play in Japanese.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:37 AM   #498
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Too bad. Well we could play it like we are playing through Ys IV! kna mean?
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:03 AM   #499
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Rare game. You pay.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:31 AM   #500
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

We'll split the cost. It's probably about $100 a piece.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:41 AM   #501
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

About Metroid Zero Mission. You mentioned that the game's map tells you where to go. Is there an option to turn that off?

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #502
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Not once you've beaten it and are using the same or copied file.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:54 PM   #503
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Here's a new special feature for you all to gander.

Are game developers as good as they used to be, or have most of them lost their magic touch?

I personally believe they've lost sight of much of what goes into making an accomplished game that steals my hours away from me for a worthwhile gaming experience. The first subject I'll tackle is Character/Series Design. Simply put - where is it? Where are all those great new and exciting video game characters that have distinct visual and gameplay traits? All I see nowadays is the usual "take X style of game and meld it with some cheesy gimmick", and then call it a new series. Let's examine, shall we?

Blinx? What the fu** was that? Good ideas? Maybe, but we'll never know how they'd be used in a good game environment because the game absolutely sucked.

Animal Crossing? No thanks - I don't care to play a bad simulator about how one becomes a slave for others. It's not fun running around talking to people and collecting things that people 'borrowed' (more like 'hoarded') from others and were too lazy to return whilce the persons that had their things taken are too lazy to go retrieve them by themselves. Whatever happened to responsibility for one's self anyway? Sorry, that game is no fun at all.

Next up - Halo. Yet another FPS. Yay. I'm so excited. Guess what people? You run around shooting things and (here's where it gets good) you get to ride around in enemy vehicles! YESSS!!! I know that's why I became a gamer in the first place. ...and then reality kicks in and I realized that all I was doing was blowing away the same stupid 7 enemies over and over and over and over and over again until my brain felt like imploding. I'll pass.

And what about old series being brought back for new installments? Some get it right like Metroid and, more than likely, Ninja Gaiden, but what of the others like Sonic? What the hell has Sega been thinking!? The last few have been terrible and are seemingly nothing more than a flashy and fast version of Mario 64 which itself has become a boring game. Good for its time, yes. But Mario 64's formula of showing off 'dazzling 64-bit environments' for Mario to jump around in collecting stars has become mundane at best. Zelda remains a class act though. Contra came out for PS2 and was a good game but didn't quite match earlier installments, but at least Konami tried. And companies like Capcom have shown nothing new of their old series except for a few titles like Resident Evil and the Mega Man Collection, but have tried their hand at creating new series with mixed results. Nothing new of a distinguished quality that matches classics like Strider or Forgotten Worlds has surfaced its head, but the winds of the future hold hope with them, I believe.

There were more great newer game designs back on the 16/32-bit systems and not simply because of technology but because of the creative imaginations those generations had wrought. The 16/32-bit gave birth to so many true gems like Pilotwings, Actraiser, Sonic, Gunstar Heroes, Axelay, Lunar, Virtua Fighter, NiGHTS, etc. etc.... all of which were so new and fresh and proved they weren't just the cheap "fun for one night" style of game like most of the games nowadays tend to be but were interesting for the long run and provided us with a gust of fresh air that was enjoyable and inspiring at the same time. Many a gamer felt they too could create something remarkably fun and wanted to partake in what must've been the dream job for many a young gamer - to become a great game creator someday. I even felt a similar resolve for inspiring gameplay in the reworkings of the old 8-bit classics which felt just as fresh on 16-bit as the first time on 8-bit.

The next aspect I think has weakened is in Overall Value. It's what I call "getting my money's worth". I paid for something and I should have the right to enjoy it, but what happens when game designers lose their cutting edge and just begin to rehash and manufacture the same game in a more glossy package? I'm not saying this is wrong all the time but when all you're ever handed is the same exact game with improved visuals and one or two new features then something must be terribly wrong. That's why I'm siding with Nintendo now because they're the only first-party with even a remote interest in trying to enhance gaming as a whole.

Meanwhile, most everybody else is surving on rehash after rehash (such as SquareEnix) and I'm getting rather sick and tired of it all. No, I won't be buying the new Final Fantasy when it comes out, and I highly doubt I'll purchase the remake of Dragon Quest V because I don't feel like paying for the same f'n games for the tenth time in a row and calling it a new experience. I've done Final Fantasy to death and wouldn't mind never touching another new one as long as I live. I'd go so far as to say it's pissing me off if I wasn't in the right mood (and I'm not as I trust you can tell ). And the abomination about all of this is that game magazines are constantly hyping these rehashes like they're brand new products and giving them super-high ratings all of the time. And then they'll go on some tangent about how games have evolved staggeringly and all they can cite as examples is technical wows and stupid EyeToys that I don't give a rat's ass about. Man, that bugs me.

I could go on forever about other things (when's the last time I truly played something that's innovative, fun, and has longevity, or why has the sound quality improved but the compositional structures suffered as a result, etc.) but I won't. I just wanted to get on a soap box here and rile up the crowds. I think I made some good points. I just hope that the Sony style of commercializing crap goes out the window in favor of something more favorable (and most of this is their fault).

Nintendo, someone, anyone: here's a distress call from a real gamer and not some casual dufus...

Please,
Give us back good gaming.

Sincerely,
--Icarus

Last edited by Icarus4578; 02-29-2004 at 03:38 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 03:29 AM   #504
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Please,
Give us back good gaming.
Amen. While many of todays games are fantastic, they just don't seem to have the lasting power with me that older games did. I still play Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero GX a TON. But I also still play older games on the Genesis, etc.

It will be interesting to see how we look back on this generation of games TWO generations from now. Very interesting indeed.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:53 PM   #505
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Well I'll bet that when we look back at this generation of gaming we'll find very little that is still worth looking at. Most game developers have adopted a commercial approach to the development of their games, and so they almost always perceive game creation as more of a business venture rather than a chance to try and give the gamer a memorable experience that is long-lasting and rewarding. I pay $50 for a game now and it lasts one or two days and then I don't ever want to touch it again. But I can name tons of games from the older generations that I still can go back to and have fun with. I've used my PS2 more as a DVD/CD player than for playing video games, and I'm an experienced gamer too. That says a lot. And with the X-Box I've put over 1,400 songs into it and use it to play my music so I don't have to pull out over a thousand CDs, plus it makes a great DVD player. I'm not saying I never play either system but it's been awhile since I have and will continue to be until they feel like releasing games like Ninja Gaiden and the like. Hell, Dreamcast murders both the PS2 and X-Box so far, and it's dead! My GC/GBA combination is the best system of the three, and I know I'll always remember Nintendo's works because they still know how to make a classic.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:53 PM   #506
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

While I agree with most of what you say Icarus(especially about the GC/GBA being the best system of the current generation of consoles). I still find games that seem mundane fairly fun. Like say Jak II. It's a rehash of GTA where you do missions for a handful of different people but it's still entertaining. The storyline is fairly well written and it actually has some decent comedy from that little shit daxter. It's a basic style game that has been used hundreds of times before run around and jump, blast open containers and collect the goods, fight enemies, rinse and repeat. Granted the crappy titles far outweigh the good titles. And I'm talking outweigh on probably an 80/20 scale. If you look back at the NES, SNES, Genesis, Turbo etc the scale isn't quite as bad. I'll bet it's more like 60/40 bad/good. It's the same situation today as it was back then. Wait for the good games to come out while you completely overlook the crap. But today people are buying the crap(matrix) and encouraging developers to keep dishing it out. It's almost as if developers have hit a wall and can't think of new styles/types of game engines so they are re hashing older ones that have worked for others.
People keep saying that the amount of good games this generation don't match up to that of others. But one thing................we still have 2 years of this generation left. There's still going to be some real gems that come our way.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:02 PM   #507
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Vicviper wrote:
But today people are buying the crap(matrix) and encouraging developers to keep dishing it out.
That is an excellent point. The gaming market has really grown since the ol' days of yore. More people are buying videogames. Now any and every company wants to get in on the action with as high as a return as possible. They don't spend much on making the game itself, hoping to increase their profit. You see this mostly from certain US and UK game developers, though it seems to happen with the Japanese as well. But with more people buying games, the crap makes a profit, and the companies don't feel the need to really compete. They'll take the scraps of the "big boys" like Mario and Metroid anyday.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #508
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
The gaming market has really grown since the ol' days of yore. More people are buying videogames. Now any and every company wants to get in on the action with as high as a return as possible. They don't spend much on making the game itself, hoping to increase their profit. You see this mostly from certain US and UK game developers, though it seems to happen with the Japanese as well. But with more people buying games, the crap makes a profit, and the companies don't feel the need to really compete. They'll take the scraps of the "big boys" like Mario and Metroid anyday.
Making crap liscensed games isn't a new fad. E.T. probably sits high on as the king of crap. Games that spawned from the marketing appeal of their cinematic counterparts are actually getting better. It all really depends on the designer. Capcom was able to capitolize on the Disney craze with Rescue Rangers and Duck Tales back in the 8-bit days. And now EA is able to capitolize on the Lord of the Rings phenom. While all those games aren't instant classics, they are solid games that are of a much higher calibur than games like Enter the Matrix (which was done by Atari who also did...E.T.).

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 05:21 PM   #509
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I agree, Dunkin' Savior, but I wasn't specifically referring to liscensed games. Just crappy games in general. Let's blame Vicviper for mentioning a liscensed game in my quote. Sounds good.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:06 PM   #510
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Hey it's not my fault! Anyways you won't see Atari throwing millions of copies of Enter the Matrix in a land fill somewhere like you saw with E.T. It goes to show that people back in the day knew crap when they saw it. Either that or the gaming population has increased times 10.