The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Rubeus

Official Xbox Series X and S 1TB Expandable Storage Drive Costs $219.99

This is crazy expensive and Seagate is not a good make either.

Quote:
Official Xbox Series X and S 1TB Expandable Storage Drive Costs $219.99

The 1 TB Game Drive is the only drive currently capable of replicating the Xbox Velocity Architecture.

Microsoft has revealed the price of its proprietary expanded storage cards for Xbox Series X and S, which will start at $219.99 for 1TB of extra space.

As spotted by The Verge, a listing for the 1TB Game Drive for Xbox Series X and Series S appeared on Best Buy's website, confirming the pricing. According to the product overview, this is "the only available expansion card that replicates the Xbox Velocity Architecture - providing faster load times, richer environments, and more immersive gameplay." As we've heard previously, it will only be used for next-gen games.

With the Xbox Series S sporting a slimmer 512GB SSD, the expandable drive may have been seen as a means of boosting the console's usefulness. That may be less of an appealing option now, given that the price of the extra storage brings that console up to around $520, more than the $499 cost of the more powerful Series X console.

The Verge reports that Microsoft has said that, while this drive is currently the only one to interface correctly with Xbox Velocity architecture, other manufacturers may release their own expandable storage at a later date that could potentially help to drive down prices.

The 1 TB Game Drive will allow players to "seamlessly" play Xbox Series X games from the drive "without sacrificing graphics, latency, load times, or framerates." The drive has been developed in partnership with Seagate and will come with a three-year warranty.

External 3.1+ USB hard drives will also work with the consoles as standard, but players will only be able to run Xbox One, 360 and OG Xbox from the external drives. According to Microsoft spokesperson Larry Hyrb, "Games optimized for Xbox Series X & Velocity Architecture need to be run from the internal SSD or the Expandable Storage Drive."

The Xbox Series X and S will launch on November 10, 2020 worldwide. We've already got our hands on an Xbox Series X, so stay tuned for more preview coverage as we approach the console's release date.

https://www.ign.com/articles/officia...ve-costs-21999
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I'm pretty comfortable juggling games between a cheapo external usb 3 drive and the internal. A very unnecessary purchase I'd say.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
Rubeus

If the games are between 100-150GB each, the XSX hard drive will be full after installing about 6 games.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
If the games are between 100-150GB each, the XSX hard drive will be full after installing about 6 games.
A vast majority of games won't be anywhere near that. Even some games like CoD which are notoriously bloated are so bloated because they use a lot of redundant files to speed up hard drive transfers on traditional hard drives. They could clean that up with SSD's being standard.

I think 40-60 is going to be the most common for big titles with some outliers.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Probably the only games that will go over 100 GB of HD space will be games that are true 4K+ resolutions. Most will probably just be upscaled still. Like when the 360 and PS3 first came out as "HD" consoles, most of the games were only 720p or slightly different res in the beginning till later on than they became 1080p for almost all games.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Proprietary

It's like we're back to the 360 days lol.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote