The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #46
Alucard

Like I mentioned before ram is extremely cheap. Theres really no reason why you cant go 8gb instead of 4. Having enough and having more then enough pretty much lets you decide what you can and cant do with your system. For example running games and recording with fraps. You'll find that works better with 8gb. I play with my games in window mode so I can keep an eye on my chat programs and other things so 8gb is good for me during that. Some games and programs at times have memory leaks which can screw you. I remember firefox being a right slut of a whore and killing my system if opened too long when I had 4gb. With 8 I've never had my pc suddenly grind to a halt because of that shit program. You basically get more leeway when working with your system. I mean the purpose of a pc isnt just load game, play game, turn off. You do so much with it and everyones different with what they do. I mean whats the difference in price from 4 to 8? Like $20?
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #47
Zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I mean whats the difference in price from 4 to 8? Like $20?
an extra $90 shipped according to the OP. ddr2 is really expensive now. his motherboard doesn't support ddr3, and new motherboards don't support ddr2, so this ram will be useless if he ever upgrades his cpu/mobo. (which he needs to do.. his cpu won't be enough for witcher 2 or bf3)

that's why i recommend a cheap AM3+ (amd) or even a sandy bridge (intel) setup instead of wasting all that money on 8gb of ddr2 for an old mobo. these motherboards will be upgradeable (at least amd's new bulldozer cpu will be b/w compatible w/ AM3+) for a few years. you'll also be able to buy 8gb of ddr3 for like.. $40?

Quote:
For example running games and recording with fraps. You'll find that works better with 8gb. I play with my games in window mode so I can keep an eye on my chat programs and other things so 8gb is good for me during that. Some games and programs at times have memory leaks which can screw you. I remember firefox being a right slut of a whore and killing my system if opened too long when I had 4gb. With 8 I've never had my pc suddenly grind to a halt because of that shit program.
yeah, if you're recording with fraps in windowed mode while aim, skype, firefox, and tons of other shit open at the same time 8gb is an advantage. iirc frapsing uses a TON of memory.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #48
Alucard

Yeah I mentioned he should just upgrade fully but he's dead set against it so what can you do. I cant load up witcher 2 at the moment without frustrating myself at its performance. Useless cpu has failed me. I'll probably order an upgrade in a few weeks or so since I stop working in 2 more weeks and will have time to screw around with the pc. I actually hate the upgrade process which is why I get slightly stronger parts then needed.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #49
Zack

i2500k is the way to go
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #50
Alucard

For sure. Best cpu for price/performance.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #51
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
upgrading fully up here is still buying a new computer basically, the only thing from this computer would be the HDD/PSU/Case and the fans inside it.

and prices up here aren't cheap, it's still going to cost me another 900-1200 dollars to get the setup I want. So I rather wait for the better stuff to come out to get a really good upgrade from this computer.

Right now I just need more ram and a new 3d card.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #52
Alucard

I thought a card and extra ram would be enough for me too. Turned out I wasnt completely accurate. The cpu is the prime slut of my system.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:53 AM   #53
Chronos
fuggit

Quote:
Yeah I mentioned he should just upgrade fully but he's dead set against it so what can you do. I cant load up witcher 2 at the moment without frustrating myself at its performance. Useless cpu has failed me. I'll probably order an upgrade in a few weeks or so since I stop working in 2 more weeks and will have time to screw around with the pc. I actually hate the upgrade process which is why I get slightly stronger parts then needed.
Ya from what I read Witcher 2 runs like crap on dual cores no matter what u do. Dual cores=dead. BF3 I'm pretty sure has quad core amd/intel cpu as a recommended req., if not minimum spec.

Currently replaying TW2 siding with iorveth this time, now that they have full screen 1920x1200 fixed with patch 1.3. Even with my new card (GTX 570) ubersampling absolutely kills perfomance. With everything on ultra/ubersampling on I get 20ish fps, turn off ubersampling and it's 40-60 constant.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:57 AM   #54
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
k fine! I will listen to you guys, I'm just going to put the money aside for now, instead of wasting 400 dollars on just upgrades, I will wait for a good sale and get the parts I want and build a new one. Usually a good sale will save me over 200 dollars for most parts.

I only need to upgrade to play BF3 anyways since it will be the only game I will have that will require windows 7, so I will wait till November at most till a good sale comes up.

edit: Hmmm, I was looking at dell for whatever reason and I noticed that the Alienware computers are on sale, like 300-1000 dollars in savings and pretty much, the exact same computer I was going to build is the same price at alienware, but with dual 560 Ti and Watercooling and it's already overclocked to 4ghz i7 2600k CPU.

Does anyone think this is a good idea to get, I mostly would do this also for the warranty, which is one year for the whole computer.

Last edited by spider-prime; 07-31-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:02 AM   #55
Alucard

wtf would you need something that strong. Waste of money.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 AM   #56
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Stay away from Alienware. An Alienware with a 560 ti and 6GB of RAM is about 1600. You can build a rig with a GTX 590 and 8GB of RAM for around the exact same price. So I wouldn't go for Alienware at all, regardless of sales.

And yeah, don't think there's any point overclocking a CPU like that, a 2600K is strong enough as is. Warranty is fine but if you've built it yourself and know it's all good quality, it'll last way longer than a year.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #57
Chronos
fuggit

Quote:
wtf would you need something that strong. Waste of money.
I think it's a good investment to build as strong as possible, but within reason. Like right now the i5-2500k is the intel cpu to get, no questions. Pretty much anything else in the price range is inferior or arguably equal, and anything more is a waste of money for gaming. As far as gpu's are concerned, I recently got a GTX 570. Fits my needs. Almost sprung for a GTX 590 but decided against it at the last second...kind of regret it...I love the nvidia 2 in one cards since my motherboard is single pci-e x16. If spider wants to get into SLI it can save $50-100 depending. Just check tomshardware.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #58
Alucard

Yes, but he was mentioning the 2600 and 2 560tis in sli. Which is crazy talk.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #59
Chronos
fuggit

Quote:
Yes, but he was mentioning the 2600 and 2 560tis in sli. Which is crazy talk.
Yeah if i were ordering parts today, I would get an i5-2500k, zalman cpu cooler, gigabyte motherboard, 8-12gb ddr3 1333, and a gtx 570, 580, or 590.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #60
spider-prime

it's only 1200 dollars! But from the sound of alucard, it's a good idea, but don't waste the money.

Our taxes up here are pretty insane and they make us pay for a recycling fee on all electronics, so it ends up being the same price.