The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #16
Alucard

So 8gig it is.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

12GB master race.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Next year or a bit later than that, I'm going to build a more powerful computer cause that's when PCI-E 3.0 is supposed to come out, sure they are more expensive, but I'm going to build a powerful computer instead of a normal one. Been saving the pennies for this one. Coin saving really adds up if you don't touch them, my brother in one year had 3000 dollars in coins. He had 150 dollars in pennies alone.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Question: Why Windows 7 instead of XP? I thought that XP had the clear edge in terms of software compatibility.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
Chronos
fuggit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578 View Post
Question: Why Windows 7 instead of XP? I thought that XP had the clear edge in terms of software compatibility.
Never had any comparability issues , but with windows 7 you get the latest DX version, which makes a big difference in most games, and physx support. Also 64 bit windows xp supports a meager 4gb total system ram; that's with gpu vram included.

As for ram just get the fastest non overclocked ram your motherboard will support. Non oc'd is important because the oc can be unstable even right from the manufacturer. Heat sinks are a useless gimmick on memory, so don't spend more for it.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #21
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Ah, that I didn't know. Thanks for the education. I wasn't aware that different versions had ram limitations.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #22
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Never had any comparability issues , but with windows 7 you get the latest DX version, which makes a big difference in most games, and physx support. Also 64 bit windows xp supports a meager 4gb total system ram; that's with gpu vram included.

As for ram just get the fastest non overclocked ram your motherboard will support. Non oc'd is important because the oc can be unstable even right from the manufacturer. Heat sinks are a useless gimmick on memory, so don't spend more for it.
yup, I need it for Battlefield 3, it only supports Vista and 7.

That is why I'm getting those rams, they are the best for the price, I have fans pointed at the memory anyways, the heatsinks are just there for fun

I don't overclock, it's not worth it lowering the life of my parts when they heat up more and kill it faster.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:03 AM   #23
Alucard

To be fair even if you get pci3 next year you'll still be waiting a couple generations worth of boards/cards before they actually get much use out of them. Unless they lift their game from the very start which I dont believe. But even if you buy a super pc this year you'll have it for the next 3-4 years loving stuff. Same as if you bought the pci3 next year, you'd get the same lifespam. Only difference is you'll put up with a little shit till you buy it. Go hard son. Do it now!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
spider-prime

I went from a AGP slot computer to PCI-E 2.0, there was a huge difference lol

But I've settled to put a little more into the new 3d card and I am going to get the ASUS GTX560 Ti.

Does anyone know how much wattage it needs? my PSU is 600 watts. It's probably enough, I just want to make sure.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
darren
... lol

700 watt tbh .. The Asus is not the coolest of cards compared t the gigabyte or msi
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
spider-prime

the DCII series of Asus cards have large fans and better heatsinks with heatpipes on them and with my motherboard which is ASUS, it auto controls the power going to each part so they don't over heat.

My computer the way it is now idles with really low heat and wattage. But the EPU system only works with ASUS products, which sucks, but oh well, I like their new cards, the only complaint I've heard about it is that it's a longer than the average 560 Ti. Which is fine for me, I'm going to move the stuff around the case to better reroute the PSU cords.

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...i_DCII2DI1GD5/
Old 07-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #27
darren
... lol

yeah nice card .. it was a toss up between that and the gigabyte i finally went for.. basically the day i bought one the gigabyte had 40 off the rrp which made it a few quid cheaper than the asus

you getting a new psu or sticking with the 600

..ohh btw i was talking about the msi and gigabyte 560ti cards being a lot cooler not older ones .. Alucard sent me some url with some stats on it the other day .. i'll dig it our for you

/edit/

heres the link only a few degrees in it tbh

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...te-msi-19.html
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #28
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

If the 600 PSU is a good make like a Corsair, it'll be more than enough for a 560 ti rig.

I've always gone for Gigabyte or EVGA cards personally. I just get attracted to them.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #29
spider-prime

ooo didn't know about the MSI one, MSI it is now, it's even cheaper too.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #30
darren
... lol

Handy .. The gigabyte 560ti was cheaper than all of them here as dab.com had 30 of itvand it came with a free copy of Operation Flashpoint Red River as well