The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
Vegetto
Alive

After playing the demo I started penumbra, need to play this before I get amnesia (loved the demo)
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #17
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Got Penumbra, been trying it out, and it's okaaaaaay. Probably first time Amazon delivered on time too. Gonna download the demo of Amnesia once Metro 2033 is finished downloading and give it a go before considering buying it. Need a genuinely scary game, not wasting my money on something not scary.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:16 AM   #18
Vegetto
Alive

i'm quite enjoy penumbra so far.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
Alucard

Quote:
GamerNode - 5/5
I can't say for sure whether Frictional Games has matched the achievement that was the company's second game, Penumbra: Black Plague, but Amnesia: The Dark Descent most certainly reminds us how interactivity, perspective, and player disempowerment can be highly engaging, and that a slow creep of fear with abrupt spikes of terror is ultimately the essence of the horror experience.

GameArena.au - 9.5/10
The developers have done an amazing job of using sound and visuals to further increase the tension and feeling of terror. Daniel’s teeth chatter and his heart beats loudly as he becomes more frightened and your vision blurs and swims as you lose your grip on reality. The music is eerie and unsettling while you explore the areas of the castle and builds to a crescendo when a monster is searching for you.

Game Informer - 9.25/10
I'm not ashamed to admit my fear. Amnesia is terrifying. Slow footsteps and ragged breathing might be part of the ambient audio track – or they might mean that a nightmarish creature is behind the next door. A door flying open could be a clue to where you need to go next. It could also be a precursor to a horrible monster charging at you. I literally jumped out of my seat several times per hour. Developer Frictional Games has discovered a strange alchemy that mixes pacing, interactivity, and presentation into pure suspense.

Telegraph.co.uk - 9/10
“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself,” Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, before being misquoted in just about everything. If Roosevelt were still alive, I'm sure he would've made an addendum to his inaugural speech to include Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Or maybe he wouldn't have. Amnesia is about fear, after all. It's the central premise. Pure, unadulterated, terror. Chill, icy fingers clawing at the back of your neck kind of terror, that of the creeping dark and Cthulhu, Hesselius, the House of Usher. It's a Gothic supernatural tale of crumbling castles, ancient artefacts and evil from time immemorial.

PC Gamer UK - 88/100
Amnesia does Lovecraft in the purest sense: it understands that the imagined far outweighs the known in its psychological punch, and it gives you enough audio and visual cues to imagine a very carnival of horrors. From the twisted brainpipes of Frictional games, the guys behind the Penumbra series, this is every part the worthy successor, with considerably higher production values, bags more atmosphere, and a deeper exploration of the parallel themes of horror and insanity.

IGN - 8.5/10
This is one of the scariest games in recent memory. The loading screen recommends you turn the lights off and play with headphones, something I'll strongly echo. Amnesia: The Dark Descent's puzzles aren't especially impressive and the voice acting can range from convincing to goofy, but the atmosphere Frictional has infused into the experience is as powerful as they come.

Eurogamer - 8/10
Still, fans of horror gaming should definitely have Amnesia: The Dark Descent in their lives. It's a brave experiment in the genre, a more solid package than the Penumbra games and stops at nothing to make you truly, deeply uncomfortable. And after a hard day at school or the office, isn't that all we really want?
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/57...eview-Round-up

Some super awesome reviews. If this was an xbox exclusive it would be getting 9.8s everywhere.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #20
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

It would be better on Xbox, you say? Alucard, you turncoat!
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
Alucard

Dont make me slap you!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:12 AM   #22
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Ok, I was gonna wait for this to maybe go on sale. I just watched the trailer on the Steam store page and fuck me, that looks scary as hell. When he's running away from the the massive thing and jumps in the closet.

Yep, buying this with next paycheck fo' sho'
Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #23
Vegetto
Alive

I just beat penumbra but it ends on a cliffhanger (doh at having to get the others)

think i'm just gonna get amnesia asap
Old 09-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #24
Vegetto
Alive

started it up for the first time and ended up playing it for 4 hours.

This game is just down right awesome.

plus I haven't been this scared in a game since the original Silent hill, freaking terrifying.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #25
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Good demo, I just downloaded it last night and got to play some of it right now.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #26
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Yeah this game is pretty good. Pretty damn scary.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #27
Vegetto
Alive

I watched DS play it for a few hours last night, he streamed it on livestream.

I was grinning ear to ear at the scary parts, since i've already played the parts he was playing.

oh was he freaking out
Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #28
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Want this game even more now. Trying to watch no gameplay at all so that none of the scares get fully ruined. Not played a genuinely scary game since the first Resident Evil, but that was probably just the fact that I was younger.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #29
Alucard

RE1 was only scary if you were a big girl.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 AM   #30
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
Want this game even more now. Trying to watch no gameplay at all so that none of the scares get fully ruined. Not played a genuinely scary game since the first Resident Evil, but that was probably just the fact that I was younger.
You should try Fatal Frame that is creepy. Don't thing I've ever played a really scary game though.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote