The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Alucard

Ubisofts new copy protection

Boots you from the game if you dont have an internet link. SUPER!! So you get kicked, lose all your progress. If the ubisoft servers re down for any reason, you cant play your game. Assasins Creed 2 will be the first to have this then everything else after. While I could give 2 shits about AC2, games like Settlers 7 will upset me some. Wonder if they'll figure a way to crack this. Oh well THANKS UBISOFT

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53...onnection-Drop
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Seraph
>:3

Yeah I heard about this.

Corporate Management is such a big mystery to me. The people making these decisions much be doing something right to have the jobs they do, yet when they do things like this it makes me question how they were put in charge. How can they be so out of touch with the consumer? Or with their competitors are doing such as Steam?

Hopefully people wont stand for it and the sales reflect that. Thankfully I don't play Ubisoft games.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I don't mind them doing something to stop piracy. I don't wanna pirate any of their games anyway; but I have no idea who thought that this would be a good idea. Getting kicked out of online games because of connection is bad enough, but the entire game itself? At least let you save, or stop being retards and just not do this in the first place.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

This will likely encourage people to get pirate versions just so they won't have to worry about loosing there progress.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Joe Redifer
Olé!

^^ Exactly.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

wait so if someone doesn't have net (which means they're amish) then they can't play it? I'm sure someone will find a way around this. Perhaps changing some files so that it doesn't have to connect to ubisoft's server in order to get updates?
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
grave450

well i was thinking about getting ac2 even though ubisoft doesn't put any time in doing proper ports of any of their console games. However the announcement that its going to sell for 60$ and is going to have this drm system, I won't buy or play Ubi game for either console or PC
grave450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Alucard

I discovered today that last years Settlers game got a recent patch that removes dvd checking, which was very cool since I want to keep my sims disc in there. Hopefully they'll do stuff like that.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Seriously considering killing my AC2 preorder and just pirating it.

And I'm getting the game for $45.00 because Amazon got caught with their pants down....I still might walk away.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Seraph

If I couldn't play a single player game I owned because my internet connection got unstable for a minute, I'd refuse to buy that game.

Even if it were something huge to me like MH3.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Wow. No offline mode. What are they thinking?

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Alucard

Quote:
What's the problem this DRM is trying to address?

Ubi are increasingly concerned about piracy on the PC. "It's a huge problem - you know it, I know it, other people know it. It really is a very important issue that all serious companies need to address," says their spokesperson. But they also believe that their online services will make PC gaming better. "The real idea is that if you offer a game that is better when you buy it, then people will actually buy it. We wouldn't have built it if we thought that it was really going to piss off our customers."

Are Ubisoft trying to kill PC gaming?

One theory states that piracy is such a problem on PC that they'd prefer to move their customers to the Xbox or PS3. Their spokesperson disagrees. "No, we're not trying to kill the PC market. Are we frustrated by the PC market? I think everyone is. In the end it all comes back to one single truth: piracy is a big, huge, hairy problem. It's a market that suffered a lot because of piracy, and we're all just trying to figure out what we think is the best way to deal with it."

Do Ubi believe this DRM is unhackable?

They accept that it's all DRM's fate to be eventually hacked, explaining that internally, they've already talked of a timescale for how long their games will be protected by it. But, they believe that it's secure enough for them. "We wouldn't do it if we didn't believe in it. The guys who designed it believe in it. Do we think that it's the one system that God has sent onto earth that will never be cracked by anybody ever? We can't guarantee that, but we believe in it."

Does this mean that Ubi are dissatisfied with other online rights management platforms like Steam?

There's a hint of that, although Ubi are keen to praise Valve's online platform. "We think what Steam has done is amazingly valid, but aren't Steam games cracked amazingly fast? It's not a question of dissatisfaction, it's a question of 'we've got another idea, another way of implementing it, and we're going for it'."

What happens when it becomes economically inefficient to run the servers for these games? Will Ubisoft take the servers down? And will that mean we can't play the games we bought?

The first point Ubi makes is that they intend for the servers to stay up. "Say in 5 years someone who bought Assassin's Creed 2 wants to go back and play it, the hope is, the plan is that we'll be on Assassin's Creed, I dunno, 3, 4, 5, and the servers will still be there to serve those new games," explains their spokesperson. "They'll also be able to serve the old games." But Ubisoft have the ability to patch the DRM out of their games. "If for some reason, and this is not in the plan, but if for some reason all of the servers someday go away, then we can release a patch so that the game can be played in single-player without an online connection. But that's if all of the servers are gone."

Will Ubi make a firm commitment to removing the DRM if the servers are to be taken offline?

PCG: What I think a lot of us would really like is a firm commitment that you understand our worries that the servers are going to go down and suddenly we've just got some trash data on our hard drives that we've paid for.

Ubisoft: The system is made by guys who love PC games. They play PC games, they are your friends.

PCG: So you can commit to saying that those systems will be patched out?

Ubisoft: That's the plan.

PCG: It's the plan, or it's definitely going to happen?

Ubisoft: That's written into the goal of the overall plan of the thing. But we don't plan on shutting down the servers, we really don't."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...35596&site=pcg
Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
Seraph

I actually feel bad for some of these PR guys.

Could you imagine your bosses making such stupid decisions, and then you have to figure out how to play it up as a good thing?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
Alucard

Would be a bit of a nightmare for sure.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Reality
Sin and Punishment

The PC market is good for gamers and bad for developers. Its like a union for the work force. Gimmicks like free launch day DLC, which would be $8 any other time, would not work on PC. The players simply have to much power and know how to get that content for free. Even if they do buy their games new/used.