The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-13-2007, 04:03 AM   #31
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

PCgamer did a report about this ... pretty interesting. I'll type of some of its 'better' quotes.(alucard if this is what you where quoting this is going to be a shit post)

"In 2005, NPD group market researchers who chart the sales of everthing from shoes to food additives-- reported a 14% decrease in the sale of PC games at retail, year on year. Its important to not that those NPD tallies didn't includ monthly MMO subscriptions, Digital Downloads/distribution, or online 'casual' game, where a huge chunk of the PC gaming action is now taking place. Even so, this year, NPD is singing a differnt tune. Its 2006 numbers showed something worthy of everyone's excitement. Sales of PC games at retail are on the rise. NPD's report concluded that 2006 was a record year for the video game industry overall, which ran up an impressive 13.5 billion in sales. Boxed PC games sold at retail represented 970 million of that total, up more than 9 million from 2005."

I guess the 'NPD group' said they have tried counting in Digital Distribution titles. But i count it as Bullshit

"I remain skepitical, since reps from Valve Software contacted them about tracking steam sales since sometime in 2004."

"PC gaming isn't just alive and well, its thriving"
Old 03-13-2007, 05:49 AM   #32
memory to zack

PC gaming will not die, at least in the near future. In the opposite it will expand and at the same time console gaming will expand. We have to undestand that both in the pc and console areas things are changing a lot. Before most of the games people used to play were offline and bought from retailers, nowadays its different. We are at the point where gaming is really becoming someting mainstream. Both console and pc market will benefit as a whole and hopefully hardcore gamers too seeing their beloved games selling bucketloads. And right now, I don t believe that console and pc gaming are rivals, because each one of them offers different games for different markets. As long as there s a console type gamer and pc type gamer, both markets will still exist. On the other hand its frustrating to see that many developers are making games only for consoles/pc and never even bothered about the rest gaming world.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:14 AM   #33
Alucard

Basically I'm seeing a pattern. PCs a while back was lots of FPS games and stuff and console gamers made fun of them saying PCs had nothing but FPS games and its a dying gaming platform.

Fast forward a generation or so and console gamers are playing...FPS games. They're becoming almost the most popular genre on the consoles. Now console gamers are making fun of PC gamers saying all there is are MMOs and thats all the PC has and its going to die cause they just play crappy MMOs.

I predict by the end of this generation of consoles, MMOs will suddenly become very popular on the consoles. And then they'll make fun of the next big fad that the PCs will be using untill they catch up and suddenly decide its cool because that type of game is cool on the console sometime later.

You see what I did? I called console gamers BACKWARD!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #34
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Aside from consoles and PCs, what else besides handhelds (already have major support) and arcades (still going in Japan) is there gaming-wise?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #35
Alucard

Thats probably about i when it comes to electronic style gaming. After that you gotta go OLD SCHOOL and grab some awesome pen and paper rpgs and board games.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #36
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Haha! Yeah! Wanna hear something stupid? We used to draw our own stages with enemies and all and then, using just our fingers, navigate through them and hit enemies on the way. Between stages, we even made cinemas! So stupid!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #37
Alucard

haha! Thats amazing! And Stupid! Where would you plug in the controller?!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #38
ATMA
Gamer junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
You see what I did?
ATMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #39
nerfmenow

I think that PCs has a leg up on consoles currently cause of the emerging free mmorpg market. I love my 360 but I can't get any free games for it. Gears of War is great, but games like Shadowbane, Ultima Online, and Corum Online are free to play now, which I think is a huge advantage over consoles.
nerfmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #40
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Im an avid pc gamer and I dont see it dying at all. Thats because I buy a pc game every 3 months and they keep me occupied for that long. Oblivion, NeverWinter Nights 2, Neverwinter nights, Dungeon Seige, Sword of the Stars, and many others have modibility and thats why PC gaming will never die.

The End
Old 03-14-2007, 01:38 AM   #41
memory to zack

PC and consoles games are different to me, at least. I don t see any correlation between console and pc games except for the universal crappy multiplatform games. And do the console really have FPSes or are they more Third-person-shooters? I think the latter. And arcades are not dead, you still find a quite a lot all over the world. There are genres that don t even exist in the pc market and vice versa. And, fundamentally, games of the same genre are really different for PCs and consoles. It a matter of taste really.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:07 AM   #42
flowForth
Programmer

I said earlier that one area the PC gaming industry could improve upon is by having a unified representation that both extols the advantages of the PC platform but also properly sets a course for PC gaming to compete with the consoles. I should expand on this.

The PC platform (when considered an individual platform opposed to the Wii platform, the 360 platform, the PS3 platform and so on) has no unified direction. It is more like a collection of camps (which is further subdivided into tribes) which represent their own interests. At one end you've got the hardware manufacturer cams (which is further split into graphics card manufacturers, sound card manufacturers, so on and so on), at another you've got the developers (further subdivided into the individual devs), at another you've got the publishers (who are mostly after profit, so they're already inclined to jump over on the consoles), and at another you've got the OS manufacturers (largely dominated by Microsoft).

These camps are not always cooperative with each other and they don't share the same interests. Hell - the individual tribes within the camps aren't always cooperative with each other either as well. The hardware manufacturers often aren't cooperative with each other (meaning standards are not always met or even ignored) and this then causes developers trouble as they have to go to further pains to make sure their games work on the widest possible set of hardware. The same problem is further exarcebated by OS' - as one game designed for a particular OS may not run very well on another - if at all (which is most often the case).

This is where a unified body that represents the interests of the PC gaming industry and works together with the individual camps to ensure everyone's interests are met in such a way that the industry improves overall would really be helpful. This would be a huge boon for the PC platform - and the individual console platforms already have something similar in the form of each console's manufacturer (Sony behind the Sony consoles, Microsoft behind its own and so on).

Right now, the closest thing the PC platform has to what I'm saying is Microsoft - however, I don't believe they have the interests of the PC game industry in their mind at all - especially judging by the fact they've largely ignored the platform in favor of their 360s (though, I will give credit where credit is due - and the direction of DX10 they've chosen is favorable for the industry).
Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #43
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
haha! Thats amazing! And Stupid! Where would you plug in the controller?!
There is no controller; we just used our fingers to navigate through the stages, climbing ladders, attacking enemies, etc. Above each of their heads would be their HP to show how many hits each took. There were even power-ups! We also created fake game systems and fake controllers (on paper, of course). Our ideas were very simple: Make it 1,000 bits and the controllers would be arcade-like with a hundred buttons! YEAH!