The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #16
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephilim
I dont believe moving gaming on to a OS, which is 99.9% piracy thu emulators is a good idea for the gaming industry

With decent spec computer at the moment, u can easly run games like fear at 180fps on high with a computer for 1000US
I dont think optimising it, for ppl with crappy amd2600's is what the industry needs
I strongly dissapgree. I have what one considers a gaming PC. Its stronger then your everyday "decent" PC and there is no way on this side of Earth does fear run in 180fps on full detail. My unit was $1, 500 and can't do that. How much would a decent computer be to get those kinds of benches?

At any rate, piracy is something you'll never escape. best way to combat it is lower prices. How? Eliminate the needs for greedy publishers. To do that release a iTunes like store for video games. It gets rid of the middle man which means prices needed to make up the losses are lower and games can sell for less right up front.

Last edited by Reality; 03-11-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #17
Alucard

They're already doing that but slowly. Look at Valves and Stardock's online distribution networm. Some amazing stuff going on there. Plus alot of other devs sell their games from their websites. Give it a couple more years and this system should be far more popular. Heres the links just to get an idea of some titles listed

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index....nitial=1&cc=AU

http://www.stardock.com/entertainment/

You'll notice they dont only just have games but little micro transactions for desktop stuff and even books/shirts/etc. I'd put my vote in and say Valve probably made more from HL2 then Epic did from Gears of War.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #18
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Online distribution is coming along but it sadly doesn't aid in the bigger problem.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #19
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Biggest problem. Windows only games.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #20
flowForth
Programmer

I think it is quite evident from half-a-decade's worth of declining sales for the PC platform that the PC platform is in a state of trouble. And a recovery of 2% in 2006 is nothing to get excited about.

I blame the growth of MMORPGs for hogging far too many damn players (far too time consuming).

I blame Microsoft for leaving the platform to fend for itself while they are off glorifying their 360s despite the fact that they are in a position to leverage their power for the betterment of the industry.

I blame Microsoft and many hardware manufacturers for failing to enforce a standard to alleviate development and user headaches.

I blame the fact that the PC platform has no unifying voice dedicated to competing with the consoles on the platform level in a way that advertises the advantages of PC gaming.

I blame developers for abandoning the platform as soon as they saw that consoles were spinning all the cash - thereby driving even more gamers from the platform.

And finally, I further blame developers and hardware manufacturers for pushing far too many video card improvements too quickly (as well as making them mandatory), leaving many gamers frustrated at the platform.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:30 AM   #21
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

1> Sims currently holds more than ahlf of the Top 10 PC games sold right now.

2> PC QA is not good enough atm. Games are being rushed out with giant bugs that could have easily been stomped before release lowering customer appreciation.

3> MMORPGs are racking up so much cash, that sales figures don't account for, which indicates that the industry isn't dying, its just moving more towards massive online structures.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:08 AM   #22
Alucard

I blame publishers who dont want to be adventurous on the PC anymore and just want to support the same old rehashed ideas. I mean how many post apocalyptic game settings do you see out there like Fallout? All the really good developers keep getting shut down because they dont make generic crap that seems to sell pretty well on the consoles.

What they really need to do is find some common ground between video card/cpu manufactures about releasing their hardware ALOT cheaper and making up the money through other means, like consoles do with games sold. Something needs to be done there.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:15 AM   #23
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

I blame the PC gamers that keep on buying the same fucking games. If no one bought them, then they wouldn't sell and we wouldn't have to play the same Diablo II clones.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:00 AM   #24
Alucard

Theres hardly that many diablo 2 clones around. Might aswell complain that the console gamers buy nothing but GTA clones.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #25
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
How can the PC platform compete with next gen consoles? Hilleman sees gaming gradually turning into a service industry, rather than one of boxed product. "PC gaming is in a state of transition," he said, adding that companies are starting to cater to niches rather than continuing to create wide-ranging blockbuster titles. Gaming, said Hilleman, is "a bunch of different things to a bunch of different people."
I don't see where he gets away with saying that when console gaming has sucked so hard for the past several years that it's unbelievable. Wide-ranging my ass! You've got your me-too RPGs which all look and play the same, all the FPS with minor additions but never a drastic change gameplay-wise, sports games which have been getting even worse in some circumstances, rehash action games all trying to be like DMC, Resident Evil 4, or Zelda, and a few offbeat titles like Guitar Hero and Okami (similar to Zelda but unique in its own right -- btw, it didn't sell up to expectations, so there goes that argument).
Old 03-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #26
Antipilor
Predating Jesus by 1 mil.

I'm addicted to FPS games. That being said lately fps's have been FAR too easy. I played through fear in about 3 days on the hardest setting with little problem. Without any challenge I have no desire to play through the game again, so I don't bother to buy them. Sure I'm part of the problem... but I'll be damned if I'm putting $60 down for 3 days of play.

Now if we can just get another elders scrolls out, I'll certainly pay... but no way am I paying for mini expansions.
Celebrate relentlessness, Menace to society
Antipilor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #27
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

I thought this was a 100% Alucard opinion thread. I got scarred and was about to check Alucard into a mental health clinic.

And even though I don't play many games on my Mac (duh?), I still think there are too many dorks out there playing games on *snicker* PCs to keep it from getting A+ software. Some games just can't be done on consoles without a lot of change....

...but perhaps the Wiimote can change this?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #28
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Valve questions Microsoft's PC gaming initiative

Valve marketing manager Doug Lombardi has questioned Microsoft's new commitment to PC gaming during a recent interview with GamesIndustry.biz. "Right now it seems like [Games for Windows is] part of the marketing push to help Vista," criticized Lombardi, adding, "To really back a platform is a sustained effort over years and years, so we'll see if in two years Microsoft is still spending money to put Games for Windows sections in retail, and having PR people preach that message that the PC isn't dying".

But this isn't a desperate call for loyalty. Lombardi appears confident that the PC gaming industry will continue to flourish with or without Games for Windows. "If you took World of Warcraft, Steam, PopCap and added it to the PC pool, all these huge revenues -- just WoW by itself, right? If you took WoW's 2006 revenues and the 360's revenues and compared them, even then you would say I don't think the PC's really dead."

Lombardi's remarks are a reminder to Microsoft that PC gaming has apparently thrived without a "team" name. While not quite threatening, there's an aggressive overtone in Lombardi's words; a "check yo'self" sorta vibe. Valve's marketing manager is certainly not alone in his skepticism of Microsoft's motives. There's no denying that Games for Windows is being used to promote the launch of Vista -- but will the commitment last beyond the initial push? The answer to that seems obvious: As long as the money is good.
Agree? Disagree?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #29
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Perhaps. But the demo they are targeting knows that Windows dominates the market share and thus most games are made for Windows, yea?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #30
Joker
not Seraph

PC gaming will NEVER die. It might go through highs and lows but the PC itself will not get "hurt" by a lack of quality games (I am looking at you PS3). The problem with consoles is that they become instantly dated the moment they are released into the market. Can you upgrade the memory or the video card on X360: I don't think so.
We will always have nay-sayers every time there's a slump or a transition going on in PC gaming.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote