The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #46
Anthrax

ToE Online?! Badass. But i don't think it'll hit the states. I was hoping for Front Mission Online to hit the states as well.
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:58 PM   #47
Alucard

That depends on if the retarded people making the game have any plans to bring it over. I doubt either will.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #48
Seraph
>:3

Although i have to admit, while im intrigued, the thought of Tokimeki Memorial online is VERY scary.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #49
Alucard

Ask Seska about the game when its done. I'm sure he will import it and play it on his PC since he's japan speak tongue fluent. I hate him...
Old 01-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #50
Seraph

Seska Speaks Japanese!?!?!?!?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #51
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
I totally agree Alucard. The console crowd is just as guilty when it comes to thinking outside the box.

The only 1-up I think consoles have is Nintendo (this is purley my opinion). While the other console companies and PC community just seem to be getting more hardcore and running the same type of games into the ground, Nintendo is out there trying to do something new (like the DS and Revo).

Its becoming quite apparant for me how sick im getting of same old same old. When I was a little kid I think I played Doom2 on my computer every afternoon and probably have dumped over 100 hours into it. It was fun, it was new.

I played Doom3 this summer. While I was wow'ed for a while, i think I played it about 5 hours before i just got bored of shooting guy after guy. Never touched it since.How the heck did you get that out of two F's?
It's because Doom 3 is more like an adventure game and Doom 1/2 has that addictive shmup quality to it. That's why you play through Doom 3 once or twice and never want to touch it agian, but Doom 1/2 keeps you addicted and coming back for more. I've heard game designers talk about the pshychological reasons why people get addicted to good shooters. There's like this primal urge in humans, especially men, to confront chaos(baddies on the screen), destroy what is causing the chaos(shoot the baddies) and bring order to your surroundings(the game world). The designer of the hit shmup, Asteroids and a bunch of other hit games, talked about it in detail one time. One of the lead designers of Halo, Jamie Griesemer, talked about how they nailed that addictive shooter quality in Halo 1. It's why you hear people talk about playing through the single player Halo 1 campaign numerous times and they don't get bored. Most companies these days though, they try to focus more on the adventure aspects of the FPS genre.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #52
Alucard

Quote:
Seska Speaks Japanese!?!?!?!?
Speaks, reads, writes, translates, and even craps japanese. He was a japanese to english/spanish/etc translator for SquareEurope for a time.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:30 PM   #53
Seska
Slurp

I remember the only reason I played PSO was to chat with the japanese people on the Dreamcast. They were all so nice and helpful - till word got around and greedy foreign devils joined JApanese teams adn spent all the time PLX GVZ LEWT K!?!?! MONY PLZ?!?!

Once in a japanese group one of the guys who joined was like that and we belittled and mocked him in Japanese and he was like SPK NGLSH PLZ!!1!!1!

Ahh good times.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #54
Seraph

My goodness, i learn a new thing everyday!

Whats your first language Seska?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #55
Decado

After reviewing the list more carefully, here's my take on PC gaming:

Pros:

- Smaller, online based devs seem to be doing rather well (Battlefront, Shrapnel etc.). Good news for those who like their games complex.
- There are a lot of promising strategy titles (both mass-market and "hardcore")
- Econ/building sims seem to be getting a boost
- RTS games seem to be getting more depth
- simulators seem to consist of a small, but promising selection
- the Adventure (proper) genre seems to be continuing its revival
- the mod scene looks stronger than ever
- Valve could really help PC gaming with their Steam service

Cons:

- turn-based titles (every genre) are few and far between, and those that exist don't seem terribly promising
- Over abundance of high maintenance MMOGs squeezing the talent pool
- the RPG genre just looks pathetic. Particularly the "hardcore" subgenre. Upside: Looks better than last year.
- Can't see a single FPS technology killer-app exclusive for the PC. All the major tech/engine devs have gone multiplatform. EA has their hands on whatstheirname.
- Already rumblings about some of the more ambitious titles being dead in the water (STALKER, the cool looking space RPG etc.)
- Action genre in general looks to be falling on hard times. Some pretty titles, but the talent behind them is questionable, and too much multiplatforming.
- Technology continues to be underutilized in most genres

Overall: Things look better than I feared, but my favorite sub-genres seem to be having a tough time of it. Big, money hungry publishers are dragging PC gaming down, while small indie devs, modders and online/small publishers are trying to prop it up under increasing weight.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:03 PM   #56
Alucard

Hey Decado, did you look into that Space empires 4 game? I think that was the title. Out next week, unless thats the demo. Pretty sure it was turn based. You can grab it through Steam. And about STALKER...dont be too surprised. They fired the original dev team for being completely and utterly beyond help. It'll come out, just dont be in any hurry for it. And aside from the FEAR engine and Unreal3, dont expect too much more tech wise as those are doing a pretty excellent job as is of pushing hardware.

Two biggest rpgs I want, Gothic3/Dark Messiah. Obviously Oblivion too but those two are higher on the list.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #57
Seska
Slurp

Quote:
My goodness, i learn a new thing everyday!

Whats your first language Seska?
Spanish. No taco jokes, please. :p

As for Decado's comment about lack of high tech - PC sees plenty awesome engines, but they mostly go by unnoticed. X3 is amazing, graphically, and looking at games like Conan, Titan Quest, Oblivion, Divine Divinity 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Rise of Legends - I think that is PLENTY in the non-multiplatform eyecandy department (Oblivion discounted), and that aint even counting Unreal 3.

Last edited by Seska; 01-30-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #58
Alucard

No burritos just tacos no [x4]
no no no no...
can i have a burrito? no
can I have an enchilada? no
one fajita an 2 quesedillas? no no no
no no no no...
no enchiladas, no tostadas, no quesedillas, only tacos
no burritos just tacos no, no burritos just tacos no
no no no no...
a lamer la colita (?)
Americano esta bailando,
Peruviano esta bailando
Nicaraguenze esta bailando
Never heard of it stop bailando
no burritos just tacos no [x4]
no enchiladas, no quesedillas, no fajitas, no tostadas
Only Tacoooos
a lamer la colita
doot doot doo doo doo doo doo...
no burritos just tacos no, no burritos just tacos no
can I get a cheeseburger? No
can I get a...faaa.. no
Can I get anything? no
No no only tacos?
No no Tacos
No burrtios just tacos no
Only Tacos! [x4]

Sorry sir we're out of tacos [x6]
Old 01-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #59
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Hey Decado, did you look into that Space empires 4 game?
I know of it. Space Empires 5 is coming out pretty soon, so I may look into that. I'm more of a tactical gamer than a pure strategy player. I like a strong mix, when available (almost never). The 4X game I remember really looking forward to a while ago was Starsomething Nova. Got canned, I think.

As for 'STALKER...the developer seems to lack focus and talent. I'm getting less and less interested. Being ambitious is no longer impressive to me. There is a lot of crap that started out as being ambitious.

Quote:
Two biggest rpgs I want, Gothic3/Dark Messiah. Obviously Oblivion too but those two are higher on the list.
Gothic 3 is probably the big one for me, too. I'm playing Gothic 2 right now (not the greatest game, but at least it attempts to be an RPG). Dark Messiah simply doesn't look like an RPG. Not even remotely. I look forward to it simply because I haven't seen the "medievil/fantasy" style action game done well on the PC since Severence. That said, I think the focus on multiplayer will drag the game down. Maybe bargin bin material, when patched. Oblivion just keeps sounding (and, now, looking) worse and worse. They should change the name to "Oblivious" and make it an Xbox360 exclusive.

The Witcher looks pretty interesting. Too bad a European developer with no publisher is behind it.

As for tech...is there a single game besides FEAR and its expansion using the FEAR engine? Unreal 3...that is not an engine I want to see popular. With the exception of Sony/M$ funded games, there won't be a single exclusive game made with it, I bet (almost certainly no PC exclusives).
Old 01-31-2006, 01:50 PM   #60
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
As for Decado's comment about lack of high tech - PC sees plenty awesome engines, but they mostly go by unnoticed. X3 is amazing, graphically, and looking at games like Conan, Titan Quest, Oblivion, Divine Divinity 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Rise of Legends - I think that is PLENTY in the non-multiplatform eyecandy department (Oblivion discounted), and that aint even counting Unreal 3.
X3 does look nice...but none of those game engine are going to spawn much, or really boost the PC gaming industry (which is really what I'm getting at). Personally I think there are many better looking games than those coming out on the PC, or even consoles. But, like those, they're not really going to drive technology forward and get licensed out to other developers.

Side note: NWN2 looks weak and the video for Titan Quest looked horrible.