The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #31
Seraph
>:3

Console games give us everything from Kirby Superstar to Mario Party to Street Figther 3. You just dont see games like that on PC's.

Most (note, that dosent mean all) PC games are, like sharky said, cut from the same mold.

EDIT: anyone notice that RE4 is coming out for PC? Way to be a whore capcom.

Last edited by seraph830; 01-30-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #32
Alucard

Full of complete s-h-i-t to think all PC games are the same. I look at consoles and all I see are sports games and rpgs with semi fantasy and technology in them, all copying off each other. Hows that for generic?
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:42 AM   #33
Seraph

Not to say consoles dont have a thousand street crime, platformer, ect clones.

But on PC its like MOST developers cant think outside the RTS/FPS/MedevilRPG box. To my knowledge ive never seen a big name company do something like Katamari Damacy or Street Fighter.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #34
B.B. Gambini
Banned

nice find, ive never seen so many previews for pc games outside of first person shooters, some of them look really interesting, surprisingly
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #35
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
Not to say consoles dont have a thousand street crime, platformer, ect clones.

But on PC its like MOST developers cant think outside the RTS/FPS/MedevilRPG box. To my knowledge ive never seen a big name company do something like Katamari Damacy or Street Fighter.
Really... Its true that theres alot of medieval games on the system. But you need to remember in the 80s majority of the D&D players all were interested in PCs. Those games are hugely popular. We have D&D and orcs, you lot have gangsta's.

And nothing big thats different? Perhaps The Sims could be considered 'big' and 'different'. Maybe even 'Spore'. MMORPGs were a HUGE gamble when they came out. Ofcourse on the consoles we have alot of rehashed stuff like Street fighter for example. Console developers take LESS risks then the PC side if you ask me. The thing here is the type of audience thats on the PC. I hate to use the term, but they're an older, possibly more intellectual crowd. While the consoles are more aimed at teenagers and younger people -mostly-. Example...

Popular console game genres-

GTA - crime gangsta swearing yoyo genre.
Tony hawk - sports and sports
Fighting games - beat you up with juggling combos
rpgs - mainly fantasy with technology.
platformers Mario style- jumpjump till you can jump no more

Popular PC game genres-

MMORPG - kill your friends and people you dont know for phat lewts
simulators X3/Freespace - go fly your plane in the air or in space
Economy/life simulators Sims/The Movies/Ceasar - Take care of a family or grow your city/village
FPS/RTS/TBS- you know the popular ones
rpgs Elder Scrolls/Gothic/Fallout/Baldurs Gate - Gimmie orcs and MAGIC MISSLE or sod off!

Basic list of the two. Completely different types of gamers.Just because theres alot of one type in your eyes doesnt mean the gaming system should be ignored. Like me for example... GTA pfffft, tony hawk pffffft, FF stands for fucking waste of time in my eyes. Dont mean I'll be ignoring all the rpgs just because I have a preference for orcs. I'm not sure whats sillier, trashing games because of their style or trashing them because they suck? Which side of the fence are you actually on with your generic labelling? Think on that for a moment.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #36
Nindalf

Leave Mario out of this, punk.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #37
Seraph

I totally agree Alucard. The console crowd is just as guilty when it comes to thinking outside the box.

The only 1-up I think consoles have is Nintendo (this is purley my opinion). While the other console companies and PC community just seem to be getting more hardcore and running the same type of games into the ground, Nintendo is out there trying to do something new (like the DS and Revo).

Its becoming quite apparant for me how sick im getting of same old same old. When I was a little kid I think I played Doom2 on my computer every afternoon and probably have dumped over 100 hours into it. It was fun, it was new.

I played Doom3 this summer. While I was wow'ed for a while, i think I played it about 5 hours before i just got bored of shooting guy after guy. Never touched it since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
FF stands for fucking waste of time in my eyes
How the heck did you get that out of two F's?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #38
sharky~
Out Run Master!

Although your right alucard with your whats popular on console thoughts I just
find there is a lot more choice on console.

Most PC developers choose to develope eather
MMO,RPG,RTS,FPS or Point and Click Adventures
Which isnt bad becuase these games work best on PC
But considering that most of them are eather
Knights/Orcs or Space/Robots/Aliens or War based games
it kind of gets a bit repetitive.

Where as on Console you can choose from all of them, ok so there not as good
but you can also get 2D and 3D fighters, Japanese games like RPGs and Puzzles
Action Adventure type Sonic/Zelda/Otogi type things.
and all the wacky odd games like Feel the Magic / Katamari / Bomber Man ect
no to mention Arcade games work much better on console.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #39
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
I played Doom3 this summer. While I was wow'ed for a while, i think I played it about 5 hours before i just got bored of shooting guy after guy. Never touched it since.How the heck did you get that out of two F's?
Doom3 was nothing special. In fact it was pretty average. And the two F's...well...I cant two swear words that fit together and dont sound retarded that start with F!

Sharky, theres ALOT of stuff on the PC. More genres on a PC then on a console. We have plenty of whacky stuff. I think what you're trying to say is you prefer japanese games to western games. In this sense then yes, consoles are for you. But like some people get tired of orcs, some others get tired of the same fantasy with guns and technology. How many square rpgs does the main character have a sword thats really half a gun or something? Gets old. Its GOTTEN old. Its just fantasy with a twist.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #40
Seraph

Not even Doom3, FEAR was the same way. I think FEAR is a fantastic game, yet it didnt take long to get bored with it.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #41
Alucard

Dunno, I'm one of the lot who enjoyed FEAR alot because of the excellent level design and gameplay. I just wish there were more scary parts through it.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #42
sharky~
Out Run Master!

I hate final fantasy with a passion and most things that Square put out.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #43
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Nintendo doesnt think outside of the box as much as Sega does. Its just nobody (aside from Sharky) reall appreciates Sega here.

Game wise, their series are all so far apart

From Sega, to Shining Force, to Phantasy Star, thats victory.
And aside from stupid WW2 games, PC is definetly more broad in category. Unfortunetly, the games that get the most press time are the ones that seem to be closely related.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #44
Alucard

No different to GTA and 50cent
Old 01-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #45
Seraph

So anyways, back to this list.

So i shouldnt expect games like Tales of Eternia Online and Tokemeki Memorial Online to hit the states?