The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-24-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
Alucard

AMD CPU prices drop

This comes as no surprise as I mentioned a couple months back that around Febuary cpu prices and most likely video card prices will lower some.

Quote:
It's now cheaper to buy AMD's top five Athlon 64 X2 processors as well as the company's Turion ML notebook processors, if you're shopping in quantities of 1,000 processors. The Athlon 64 X2 4800+ received the biggest discount among the desktop chips, moving from $803 to $643 over the weekend. The Turion ML-44 also received a hefty cut, down to $354 on Monday from $525 last week.

The list prices are only a rough guide, as PC vendors typically negotiate their own prices, and enthusiasts pay different prices for boxed processors.

http://news.com.com/Chip+prices+fall...l?tag=nefd.top

Next few months will be the perfect time to upgrade.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

seen the intel dual core chips yet??

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Yeah they are behind performance of AMD dual core, with prices ranging from about the same to 30-50 bucks more. THey had their price cuts late december though. AMD is responding I guess
Old 01-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

AMD has gotten too Hollywood
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Alucard

Intel is always more expensive and less powerful then AMD cores. Never buy intel. Thats for either stuck up yuppies or people who just dont know better.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

I do buy AMD over Intel, I just wish they were still the aggressive underdog from the K6 days.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Intel is always more expensive and less powerful then AMD cores. Never buy intel. Thats for either stuck up yuppies or people who just dont know better.
Or the junkies who think that getting an Intel chip will cut 3 hours out of Video-editing.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:34 AM   #8
Alucard

hmmm..I'd probably say intel would be the better option for that sort of thing. Though definately NOT 3 hours! AMD is the gamers cpu. Intel is the...uh..production working person doods cpu.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
flowForth
Programmer

On a side note, has AMD taken Intel to court yet over anti-competetive practices, like forcing computer manufacturers to comply to a maximum 10% quota on non-Intel purchases?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #10
Alucard

No clue to that.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:13 AM   #11
ovejon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee
Yeah they are behind performance of AMD dual core, with prices ranging from about the same to 30-50 bucks more. THey had their price cuts late december though. AMD is responding I guess
Are you referring to the Pentium d or the core duo which are primarily used for notebooks? Last I read the Intel core duo cpu is a very capable chip and it can rival AMD's X2 line of cpu in many benchmarks except for games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Well this wasn't the case a few years ago. AMD had some trouble keeping up with Intel in almost every benchmark thrown at them (even in games). It wasn't until the amd64 era that AMD took the title as "gamers cpu of choice". I also believe it was Intel?s mishap that allowed AMD and its amd64 chip to become what it is today. The Netburst design had a lot going for them when it was first conceived but later in the game the power leakage really hampered Intel's performance. AMD has the upper hand at this moment but there is a lot to look forward from Intel in the coming years.
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote