The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-28-2005, 06:18 AM   #1
Seska
Slurp

Half Life 2: Lost Coast

The damn thing is out AT LAST! Fire up your Steam client and grab it, its worth downloading.

For those who don't know what it is, Lost Coat is a bonus level for Half Life 2 which Valve made in order to showcase HDR technology that didn't make it in the HL2.

Basically, HDR is the next step in bloom effects - its a technique by which a game will visually recreate the behaviour of your iris in reaction to light. In bloom, the "blurry light" effect is always constant, no matter which angle you look at the light source from. HDR changes that, depending on your location and your distance to the light source, and any objects between you and it.

For example, if you standa distance away from a brightly lit white wall, in real life, it would be a huge strain on your eyes since all of the wall is catching the sunlight. IT would be like a blur of white, until you walk up close, and you could make out the details like cracks in the wall, individial bricks, etc.

Likewise, if you are in a dark tunnel and stare into the brightly lit end, all you see is a wash of white, until you actually step out and can begin to make out what is outside, as your eyes are adjusting to the bright light. HDR simulates this - when you step out of a dark room into a brightly lit area, you are momentarily blinded until the brightness levels ease down to simulate your eyes adjusting to the light.

HDR also allows for specular reflection on surface to make them more realistic looking - wet sand reflects sunlight in a very pretty manner, without HDR, the sand looks rather plain.

Lost Coast also features running commentary, which you can choose to switch on or off - usually theres places where you wiull find a speech bubble, which you can activate to hear the comments on how some parts of the game were made.

Well worth downloading, even if the extra level is rather short at about 30-40 mins worth of gameplay time.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
Alucard

I ALMOST saw it on my friends system. Sadly his video card is acting up and the game exploded his system before he could run it. Oh the joys of not having a working PC for me
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Nindalf

MY PC works.

WHAT GAMES SHOULD I PLAY TODAY?
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Alucard

Shut Your Rancid Mouth!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Seraph
>:3

Mine dosent T___T. I cant figure out whats wrong with it either.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:23 AM   #6
Nindalf

It's probably broken.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Seraph

I think its overheating. How hot should the insides of a PC be? I have a window fan, a top fan, and a rear fan. But when I put my hand over the top fan it feels really warm.

Since i thought that was the problem, i took the side off my PC, got my huge window fan, and pointed it straight into my PC. Its been running fine since i did that. Ive even tried to get it to lock up (running all night bot games of UT2K4 at max res with 32 bots). But its been fine for a whole week with that fan there.

So does it sound like an overheating problem? I have flippan more fans than my old PC did. Or do big time videocards/processors/ram run hotter than normal everyday parts?

I do have a temprature gauge on the front of my case. Im not sure where to tape the little thermometer sensors to (i have 3 of them) but I could use those to help diagnose something if somebody would help me. And by somebody i meant the PC king.

When it locks up usually i hear a loud "click" like my hardrive thrashing hard for a second, and then video will slow down to like 5FPS. Sometimes it wont lock completly up and i can exit back out to windows. Although nothing i do will make the thing run normal agian at that point, except for a restart. When i get back out to windows, task manager shows my CPU usage at a constant 80%.

HLP PLZ
Old 10-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
Alucard

Tha sounds weird. Generally I always keep the side of my case off, but thats me. But what most people do is buy a proper heatsink and fan for the cpu since the stock one is pretty gutless. I dont know about that ticking though. The thing freezing would generally be overheating, especially if its not doing it after you remove the case. I'd say buy a fan for your cpu. What do you have again?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #9
Seraph

AMD 64 3200
Corsair 1GB dual channel ram
Radeon X800 PRO 256
200GB SATA primary
160GB IDE slave
MSI 939 Motherboard (dont remember exactly what one)

Something is making that unsettling thrash noise. Its only for a second when it happens. I had my PC looked at by the technician here at work and he said he could see some condensation on my Motherboard. not sure what that means, but T__T.

Should i buy bigger fans? Im not sure how else to cool down the inside of my case.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #10
Seska
Slurp

IF you have a decent mobo, it should be able to check the temperature of your CPU. PErsonally I recommend you check Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Also, you have an A64 - are you using the Cool 'n Quiet features?

On idle, qith Cool 'n Quet enabled, your CPU should be something between 28 and 36 degrees Celcius. depending on your ambient temp.

With a heavy load (running an intensive game or compressing DivX for more than 5 mins) your temperature should be somewhere about the 52C mark. I use a stock heatsink, and temperature on load never goes over 56.

IF you are getting temperatures above 60-65, thats where youe peoblems probably come from.Also check your graphics card and make sure tis clean - I recently had a lot of dust on mine, and it was climing up to 96C, making my system freeze or reset. Cleaned it up, now it doesnt rise above 60.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #11
Alucard

Go and see if you can get your hands on this heatsink

http://www.systemcooling.com/thermalright_xp-90-01.html

Its brilliant and will cool down your 3200 like nothing else. Also if you can find a panasonic Panaflow fan to clip ontop of it, that would rock more. With that combo you will hardly hear the fan and it'll keep the cpu really low in temp. If you go ahead with this I recommend you get someone else to install it for you. Its not tricky, but if you havent done it before you run a high risk of cracking your cpu. Seska knows all about that!

Keep the fan on and leave you rcase open and play away and see if it happens again. If it doesnt then problem solved. If it does, then at least you have an excellent fan and heatsink.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #12
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

my heatsink

Im probally gonna get a fan on it sometime If i find games bring it really hot. So far it idles at 36-40c (though boot begins it at 50c) and goes to about 55c while playing games on full for about 2 hours. But its silent, and my PC is almost silent as well.

This is on a AMD64 3700+

Id recomend good case cooling though
Old 10-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #13
Hepheastus
I Rule You.

I just got an extra stick of 512 today, so it came perfectly on time.
Played it for about 5 minutes but had some crazy lag.

I'll do a better synopsis later, I have to go to bestbuy babah!
They got scared and they put me in, they got scared and they put me in.
All the lies run around my face and for anyone else to see,
I'm alive.
Hepheastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:50 PM   #14
Anthrax

HL2: Lost Coast looks pretty good. HDR on some of the beginning scenes are sorta low compared to Far Cry HDR. Other than that, the source engine did a good job showing off HL2 and HDR. Personally I think the only thing that's holding Source back are the low poly count on the character models. Doom3 and Unreal 3 engine are coming hand and hand when you look at Prey and Unreal 2K7.
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #15
Hepheastus
I Rule You.

Eh, just beat it within 10 minutes.
It's more of a HDR demonstration than anything, felt like a E3 demo infact.
I'm going to go through it with the commentary, but I doubt it will make the game worthy of the wait.

I'm broke, but I'll be buying a Zalman 775 All Copper heatsink, got some good reviews for such a small heatsink.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118114
They got scared and they put me in, they got scared and they put me in.
All the lies run around my face and for anyone else to see,
I'm alive.
Hepheastus is offline   Reply With Quote