The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
SuperAngelo64
They call me "Derek G. Wop"

Need PC help: Trouble with DVI to component.

I feel like I should just flat out ask Joe Redifer about this since he's the expert, but if anyone else has any input that would be just awesome.

I recently built a new computer with a Geforce GTX 460. I'm pretty used to using my HDTV as an alternate display for watching movies. I used to have an old Nvidia 7600 with an S-video port in the back, so I was very used to just running an S-Video cable between the two.

However I didn't even notice that my GTX 460 doesn't even have an S-Video port. It has two DVI ports and some mini-HDMI port... which I didn't even know existed. So I just assumed I could buy a 'DVI to component' cable and run my PC to the component jacks in the back of my TV and it would work. I guess I was wrong. I was reading that the DVI ports on the GTX 460 are DVI-I and can carry an analog signal, but I'm still getting nothing.

I have the DVI-to-Component cable running from the second DVI port on my card to my TV. When I use the Nvidia software it detects the cable as an 'Analog display' but it's showing nothing on my TV.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I feel like an asshole. I just now realized that my TV has three HDMI ports. I never noticed them before because they're hidden in a really stupid place. I was scrolling through the input selections and noticed "HDMI 1-3" and was like "Oh, you better be fucking kidding...". I might just buy a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable and forget this whole mess.

Last edited by SuperAngelo64; 12-22-2010 at 02:59 AM.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
Alucard

I lol. Theresp lenty of dvi to hdmi cables around. Look on amazon or wherever. One port connected to your monitor, the other to your tv. Now you can dual screen.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
Seraph
>:3

If you aren't in "like tomorrow" rush to get them and don't want to get $20+ raped at a BestBuy/RadioShack for the cable, check out Monoprice.com
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
SuperAngelo64

I'm thinking of getting this super cheap mini-HDMI to HDMI cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-HDMI-Vide.../dp/B004DKF6A2

Will that do the trick? I'll check out that Monoprice site too, I've never heard of it. I'm not in a hurry since I've been trying to set this up for weeks now. First I got a 12' S-video cable, just assuming my GTX 460 has an S-Video out and then raged when I realized it didn't. Sent it back, ordered a DVI to Component cable. That's not working... sooo.... looks like it will probably be another week until I can get this going.

As for getting a DVI to HDMI, would the mini-HDMI to HDMI cable work any worse? I've found that they're cheaper online.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

I've been using a DVI-HDMI cable for awhile now. It's an elegant solution.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Alucard

Same here. And looks great on a HDTV unlike shitty s-video. I'm not sure on mini hdmi ports. I figure they work the same but at the same time they're mini so I'm a bit scared to waste my time with them since the dvi is universal and theres 2 of them.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
SuperAngelo64

Okay then, I'll go the DVI to HDMI route. I checked the site that Seraph mentioned and found this.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 12-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

My gtx 260 came with a dvi to hdmi converter plug and I just use a 20 cent hdmi cable I got from amazon. Works great. I can watch whatever I want and do all my gaming from a comfertable chair. Only minor problem is sometimes not being able to easily read the text. I think I might be sitting just a hair too far away.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Alucard

Looks fine. Word of warning though, double check the dvi connector on your video card and that cable. There are some connectors that are SLIGHTLY different. The cables, not the video card slot. For some reason theres another dvi cable thing out there, I forget what its for but I swear from memory it exists. I think it doesnt have the little sideways metal bit in the top middle. Just make sure it looks the same as your video cards slot.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
SuperAngelo64

Everything checked out. I went ahead and ordered one. Thanks for the help guys.