The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Alucard

Falling Leaf Systems attemp to convert Halo2/Shadowrun to XP

Quote:
“Microsoft has, in typical Microsoft fashion, decided to launch their forced migration onslaught in full force with the release of two games that will only run on Windows Vista,” stated Thomason. “First they claim that it was impossible to implement DirectX 10 compatibility atop Windows XP, and now they also want us to believe that they couldn’t successfully launch two DirectX 9 based titles on XP either. We plan to expose both theories as patently false.”
http://www.prleap.com/pr/77567/

Should be interesting to see what they manage to do. I could care less about either game and dont plan to touch them, but if theres a good game in future that comes out that needs Vista to run despite being a DX9 game, this will be very cool if gets working.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
if someone can get a real ver. or close to it of DX10 running on XP without performance drops, HA I will say to MS.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

I actually planned to get halo 2 until I heard that it was a Vista only. Im not going to buy a whole new unstable OS for a sub-par shooter.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Alucard

Why would you want to buy halo2 when other games like counterstrike source and Battlefield 2 have way more players online and better gameplay?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
flowForth
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime
if someone can get a real ver. or close to it of DX10 running on XP without performance drops, HA I will say to MS.
Won't happen - at least not without a lot of work and at the threat of legal action from Microsoft. DX works on a very low level deep within the operating system (it's that and its proprietary nature that makes porting so difficult). If someone was going to implement it on XP, they would have to go ahead and change many of the low level innards of XP - which would probably break existing DX9 games. That's effectively re-engineering the OS (which is illegal by the way).

From reading the article, especially this bit:

Quote:
On the heels of the merger also comes the announcement of Falling Leaf Systems’ intention to provide compatibility software to allow Windows XP users to play two upcoming, Windows Vista-only titles: Halo 2 and Shadowrun.
Sounds like they're planning on a wrapper technology. Say hello to performance hits!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Why would you want to buy halo2 when other games like counterstrike source and Battlefield 2 have way more players online and better gameplay?
Well everyone always raved about the Halo series multiplayer, personally Id pick Battlefield 2142 over Battlefield 2 and I dont have Counterstrike because I cant remember the password to my brothers steam account.

I have a whole list of games I want, C&C3, SCII, BF2142, CS, HL2, NWN2: Add on, etc etc.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
Alucard

They rave about Halo because it was the first exclusive fps on the xbox with decent control. They hyped it to hell and it became popular. You'll play it then play others like BF for example and think wtf am I playing Halo for.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
Joker
not Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachalmighty
I actually planned to get halo 2 until I heard that it was a Vista only. Im not going to buy a whole new unstable OS for a sub-par shooter.
Comments like this make me angry
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote