The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 08-21-2019, 02:24 AM   #1
Rubeus

Spider-Man's MCU Future Is In Question, But Sony Disputes Report

Quote:
Spider-Man's MCU Future Is In Question, But Sony Disputes Report

Shortly after Marvel revealed its Phase 4 slate of Marvel Cinematic Universe films and TV shows at San Diego Comic-Con, a major shakeup is being reported that could very well change the future of the MCU. It would also impact the Spider-Man franchise of films Marvel Studios co-produces with Sony.

According to Deadline, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will no longer serve as a producer on Sony's Spider-Man films. The news comes after a new agreement between Sony and Disney was reportedly unable to be reached. As Deadline claims, a dispute between the two companies has been going on for months.

What this means for the future of Spider-Man and the MCU is unclear. Spider-Man: Far From Home was the official end of the MCU's Phase 3, setting the stage for what's to come from the universe of films. With Feige no longer being involved, it's possible that the Spider-Man franchise could instead exist outside of the MCU. Sony has already been building a non-MCU Spider-Man universe thanks to the film adaptation of Venom, as well as the upcoming Morbius movie, in which Jared Leto stars as the titular living vampire.

As sources tell Deadline, there were already two more planned Spider-Man films starring Tom Holland as the web-slinger, with director Jon Watts expected to return.

The MCU, meanwhile, is already without characters like Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) and Captain America (Chris Evans), following the events of Avengers: Endgame. However, Marvel Studios has a loaded slate of films that will introduce new characters--like the Eternals, Shang-Chi, and Blade--as well as new installments of the Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor franchises.

Speaking to io9, a Sony representative clarified the situation a bit, noting they believed the issue at hand was over Feige receiving a producer credit on the films. According to the representative, negotiations between the two sides still in progress. It's also noted that Feige has contributed creatively to other films based on Spider-Man IP without receiving a producer credit from Sony. What the source didn't make mention of is any implications this would have on Spider-Man's future in the MCU.

The situation could always change and the two studios could come to an agreement. Deadline, however, noted it would take something "dramatic" for that to happen. For now, an extended cut of Spider-Man: Far From Home will hit theaters on August 29.

Updated to include Sony's comment to io9.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sp.../1100-6469265/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 02:35 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
lol and the MCU will die when it's all the shitty 3rd tier characters.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

LOL Disney walked in and demanded half and Sony was like "Uhh...we technically can just walk out and take the fim franchise back with Holland and Watts onboard so....we're gonna do that."

Disney got greedy as fuck (no surprise) with no bargaining chips on the table and Sony called their bluff. And frankly, I'm fine with that.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Rubeus

Well Disney still has X-Men and Fantastic Four, there's more than enough characters to add into MCU.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:30 AM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
The thing is, their recent movies will hurt the MCU versions of them cause some people might be stupid and think it's still the old stuff.

Spider-man being in Civil War, I think, helped Spider-man homecoming even tho it didn't make that much, but it would have done worse without it and Ironman in it.

and Spider-man Far from home mostly did great cause it came right after End Game. It was the epilogue to it, really.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

Disney was greedy, but truth be told, disney/marvel is the reason why homecoming and far from home were a hit and why Spiderman is a sucess once more.

It is unlikely Sony will manage to do something good on their own. Venom didn't flop cause it had Hardy, but otherwise it was pretty meh. Ok but nothing amazing.

I didn't know that all it took for rights to revert to marvel was for Sony to not make a spidermen movie in a 3 year span. Disney should never have helped them tbh. Rights would revert soon enough. One way or another spiderman will revert to marvel cause i don't think Sony can make good live action movies.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Guardians of the Galaxy(when James Gunn is at the helm) and Deadpool. That's all we really need.

Edit, And Wonderman played by Nathan Fillion

When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote