The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-02-2005, 09:08 AM   #1126
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well I still have the passwords for Y's 1, 2, and 3 (had to remove old saves to make room for other games) so I can go right to the last boss and watch the end credits to be sure about the music, but I know Ryo is specifically mentioned. On another note, I had my TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM system powered off for over a year before, and when I turned it back on my game saves were still there. The manual says the battery dies in 2 weeks. All of my game saves are also still on my Sega Saturn Backup RAM carts, which are only supposed to last 5 years or so.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #1127
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

It's amazing what old technology can do. I imagine that in the distant future people will find our "ancient technology" and be in awe to find that this stuff actually works without having to be replaced within a few months.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #1128
Paper exe
Pwnd

I bought Ys VI The Ark of Napishtim because of your review
I played it now and it is realy good game
Note:this is the second game that I bought because of your review and both turn out to be good :cool guy:
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:15 AM   #1129
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

since Ys has just been made, I would like to see the Soul Blazer series be continued in the same fashion as Ys. Playing Ys reminds me of the good ol days

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:13 AM   #1130
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Paper exe, way to go! :cool guy: It's perhaps my favorite game of this generation, thus far. Ys VII is in development, thank God.

SavedFromSin, Enix/Quintet has been rather quiet recently, haven't they? I wonder what they're up to....
Old 03-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #1131
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

You... a wannabe ninja?

Tekken 5 - PS2 - Rating 6
The sequel you've all been waiting for is finally here, and I'm not sure why but I couldn't possibly be any less excited about it. I went into this game bearing no expectations, so you would think that Namco would catch me off-guard with a stellar offering. ....Nope. Remember that tremendous feeling that you got when playing fighters such as Virtua Fighter 2 or Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the first time? You won't find that feeling here. Do you recall how the overall experience of games such as Nightwarriors and Samurai Shodown took you by storm? Invert those experiences. Are you wanting for another unforgettable fighter with quality in all aspects? Yeah, well, forget about it. Tekken 5 underwhelmed me in almost every single way. The only thing Namco got right is the graphics, and even here it is not without disappointment.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but, regardless of whether or not you actually enjoyed them, Tekken 1 through 3 were definitely quality productions, especially the home conversions which featured original and arranged soundtracks, new openings and FMV CG endings, and many new features. Indeed, Tekken 5 includes the arcade versions of all three of these titles, and arcade perfect ports at that. My brother got it right when he said that this is the game that Dead or Alive Ultimate should've been, and for that I'll raise the rating one point from a Rating 6 to a 7. That aside, though, and you're left with Namco's newest entry in their long-running 3D button masher. And yes, it is still a button masher through and through. Although there's definitely more strategy involved than in, say, Dead or Alive Ultimate , it remains largely the same game as Tekken 3 gameplay-wise which, arguably, is the best in the series. Problem is, I've played Tekken 3 to death (over 700 playthroughs with Law alone!) and need something new to reinvigorate my interest in the series.

Sorry if I sound a little too harsh but I really could care less about mere graphical improvements and a few new characters, none of which are engaging, save for Raven and that's because Namco is blatantly copying Wesley Snipes' character from the Blade trilogy. I must confess, the character graphics are extremely well rendered, very similar in quality to the Dead or Alive 3 renders. And even though the backgrounds are 100% better than those found in Tekken 4, many of them still leave a lot to be desired. Some of them are quite impressive, especially Moonlit Wilderness and the Secret Garden. This is the game Tekken 4 should've been, at the very least asthetically. Tekken 4 sucked. The animation remains largely the same as ever, but I couldn't help but notice that whenever characters would converse there'd be some strange frame jumping for some reason. To this day, Namco has yet to surpass Soul Calibur's fluidity.

Now that I've gotten past the graphics, I'll take a moment to mention something about the opening FMV sequence. Although it is well rendered (as expected), the song which plays during it made me want to eject the game from my PS2 and never go near another Namco product again. What in the world were they thinking!? You hear some horrible grunge/rock band playing some atrocious, agonizing, unsuitable, lousy, hurtful, sickening, insulting, abominable piece of aural garbage!! Makes me SICK! It's not hard to imagine the song: Take every WWE opening song, whether it be for RAW, Smackdown or any choice PPV, condense them all into one song and then play it in your head. Here's an approximation of what the lyrics go like ~ "GET UP! GET UP! GET UP! GET UP!" At least I know what to write Namco~

"Hello,

Please leave the video game industry.

Sincerely, Icarus"

I'm serious. The opening is beyond bad and approaches cruelty. Getting to the game....

The gameplay remains largely the same as before, with all the same blocking, rolling, parrying, and evasive tactics; the same bag of tricks. Tekken veterans know how the game works by now. The string combos are back, as are most of the move sets for returning characters. Wall combos make juggling all the more cheap, and it's rather strange how when you knock an opponent up into a wall they'll just stay there, like they're stuck to the wall for a brief moment. :annoyed: The new characters are, as I said, unimpressive, with Raven being the sole exception. Raven uses Ninjitsu, but Yoshimitsu seems to think of him as a poor imitation. I guess what they say is true: if you're not Japanese, you are not really performing the right moves. This is akin to how many Spanish folks seem to believe that if you are not Spanish and you play a Spanish piece of music on the Classical Guitar, you're not really feeling the piece. Bunch of stuck-up bullsh*t if you ask me. In Namco's neverending quest to hope to mimic the 'success' of Rage Racer's Reiko Nagase comes Asuka Kazama, one of the most agitating characters I've ever witnessed in a fighting game. Think of Virtua Fighter 3's Aoi combined with the younger look of Street Figfhter Alpha 2's Sakura and you'll get some idea. Better yet, just look at all the characters for yourself here. Why are characters like JACK 5 still allowed to exist? Why hasn't Namco gotten rid of all the filler? I don't know. I just don't know.

You can look forward to all the usual modes being present: Story, Arcade, Time Attack, Survival, and so on. In Story Mode, each character's story is presented with great artwork in an opening epilogue narrated by the same dude who did the narration in Tekken 4. Then, the game begins. After seven rounds, you'll inevitably have your first run-in with Devil Jin, depending on which character you've chosen. Can we give the whole 'evil, dark version of the character' gimmick a rest? Thank you. But afterward you'll be presented with Jinpachi, the cheapest last boss to ever disgrace a Tekken. You'll long for the days of Ogre and Devil/Angel. Don't believe me? You will should you ever fight him: he has ridiculously cheap moves like a fireball he spews which can potentially deal 50-70% damage. Grr! You can avoid it by sidestepping. However, sometimes my character would duck or jump instead of sidestep, and since the fireball is unblockable I'd wind up getting hit. Grr! He can also bring your character into slow motion, leaving you defenseless so he can squash you. What is this, friggin' Mortal Kombat? Grr! To add insult to injury, he can perform a life-sucking move to heal himself while dealing damage to you.

Grr!x100

The FMV endings are good to decent for the most part. Some of them are humorous such as Paul, Law, Lee, and Ganryu, to Namco's credit. But some of them felt like a waste of time, such as Julia's. Arcade mode is Namco's attempt to mimic Virtua Fighter 4's Kumite Mode wherein you move up the ranks slowly against psuedo-real opponents and earn money for purchasing new costumes, colors and accessories per character. The other modes need no explanation save for The Devil Within. This is an absurd beat-'em-up where you have to take Jin Kazuya through several maze-like areas filled with platform jumps, hidden breakable walls and floors, and mindlessly beat generic enemies to a pulp. There are five stages total and you are ranked on how well you do overall. However, the only reward that I know of for beating this mode is more gold. If it opens up Devil Jin in the standard game, I don't know because I had opened him up beforehand, anyway. The camera controls flat-out suck during this mini-game but the controls are adequate. It's worth it just to hear the crazy third stage song. By the fourth stage it began to drag on and on. Thus, lower my rating a point for wasting my time. :thumbdn:

Those of you hoping for a similarly excellent aural experience to Tekken 2 & 3 need to look elsewhere. I found none of the songs to be compelling, special. It just sounds like if you took the original Ridge Racer soundtrack, mixed in a heavy dosage of guitar riffs and.... presto: Tekken 5's soundtrack is done. There isn't even an arranged version to select from. Weak. By the way, you can listen to the soundtrack and watch the openings/endings in Theatre Mode as you earn them. The sound effects and voice acting are the typical Namco quality, i.e. some good stuff. The way they make characters such as Mokujin, Panda and Bear converse with each another is a skilled touch. I found it quite interesting that characters would speak in different languages and still have no problem understanding one another.

If you've never played a Tekken before, this is the game to get. It has Tekken 1, 2, 3, and 5 included, plus StarBlade is hidden as well. For those of us who need something new to energize our interest in the series.... that's another story. Here's the bottom line: If you've played Tekken 2 and/or 3 to death, you don't need this game.

Case closed.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-03-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #1132
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Updated the YS VI review with cheats at the bottom.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #1133
Meticulous
the world wide web

So, "Mr. Reviewer", when do you plan on doing a review, like you said, for "The Minish Cap"?

I'd like to hear it myself. ;)
Meticulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #1134
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You forgot to mention that Tekken 5 supports widescreen AND progressive scan. Don't forget to mention that Devil May Cry 3 also has a Dolby Digital 5.1 opening sequence when you review that one.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #1135
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
SavedFromSin, Enix/Quintet has been rather quiet recently, haven't they? I wonder what they're up to....
The Soul Blazer series (including Illusion of Gaia and Terrinigma) are perhaps my favorite series from the SNES days. Unfortunately Terrinigma was never released here in the states, but what the emulated version i played was mighty fun and in english. I would like to see a new sequel, but in this age of gaming I doubt we ever will since gaming has become to commercialized and the public wants more "Halo" type games.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #1136
blueskied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
It's perhaps my favorite game of this generation, thus far.
Wait until you play DQVIII. Ys VI is a good game, but if you think that's great you'll be blown away by the old-school goodness of DQVIII.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #1137
gearhound
Versus the World

damnit!! i want my DW VIII!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #1138
blueskied

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
damnit!! i want my DW VIII!!!!!!!!!!!
In the magicbox news today it's reported DQVIII will hit america "very soon", though no date has been given. Maybe by May? That would be cool.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #1139
gearhound
Versus the World

yes, it would.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:23 AM   #1140
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I also can?t wait for Dragon Quest 8. It would rock if it comes out at the end of the year.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote