The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-03-2005, 04:50 PM   #1051
gearhound
Versus the World

how can you say that a racing game has better graphics than a action game? that just doesn't make any sence.

also, joe, you said halo 2 doesn't have dolby digital... are you sure? my decoder says otherwise, and it certainly sounds like dolby to me
Old 01-03-2005, 08:18 PM   #1052
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It looks better to my eyes, it paints a prettier onscreen picture. Just because a game is an action game means it should have its graphics regarded higher? I think not!

Halo 2 does have Dolby Digital. I would never say anything so stupid that it doesn't. It's a given. However Halo 2 doesn't have a discrete subwoofer. Instead it expects the user to route his/her mains through a crossover (easily setup in most receivers, especially the weaker ones) so that the lows from those speakers go to the subwoofer. Bungie truly does not know much about proper 5.1 sound mixing. I do. I do it all the time. In fact, Halo 2 can't be regarded as a 5.1 game. It is a 5.0 game.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #1053
gearhound
Versus the World

oh, ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
It looks better to my eyes, it paints a prettier onscreen picture. Just because a game is an action game means it should have its graphics regarded higher? I think not!
no, but wouldn't it sound dumb if some random person said that ninja gaiden's graphics aren't as good as outrun 2? i guess that's just me...

Last edited by gearhound; 01-03-2005 at 10:01 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #1054
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well if that's the case, how can ANY game be rated as having the best graphics in any given year? There are many genres of games, and one must be chosen by the person doing the picking. The graphics of the game that wins is compared to every other game released that year, not just games of the same genre.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #1055
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah

but i still don't think outrun 2 looks better than NG. nothing looks better than NG
Old 01-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #1056
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Final review tonight ~ Illusion of Gaia.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #1057
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Icarus Editorial #6 ~ New year, same bull

Man, is EGM pathetic or what? The new issue is supposed to be about the new portables (its feature), and what do they do? On the cover, they placed the PSP dead center and above all the others with a shot of Metal Gear Acid on the screen (which got low ratings in Famitsu, or so I heard). Castlevania on DS is over in the lower right-hand corner with about 1/3 of the screen cut off. I guess they've already picked their favorite. Oh wait, they already did that last year with their E3 coverage wherein they showed a drawing of a DS beaten to a pulp by a "victorious" PSP. Wow! What audacity!

(Who here actually believes that MGA on PSP will actually stand a chance of being half as good as CV on DS?)

If you turn past the absurd amount of two page ads, you'll come to the Contents page which also has Shoe's editorial (I've heard that Shoe is actually Sushi-X). And on the top of the page...? Another shot of all the portables in a pile, with the PSP--once again--in the center and situated in front of all the others. Now keep in mind that throughout the entire magazine, any time there's any comparison, article or anything else being done about each of the first-parties, Sony is always mentioned first. It's almost always been this way for the longest time. Look at their Review Crew section. What's the first platform that gets covered, aside from multiplatform? Why, it's the PS2! Again, look at that paragraph on the Contents page directly beneath the pile of portables. What's the first one mentioned? Sony's! Horray!!!

Now turn to their Press Start section. There's a feature where they interview every company. Guess who's placed first? A-ha! None other than SCEA president Kaz Hirai! That crazy funster! But before going any further, take a good look at that illustration on the page opposite the Sony interview.... Who's that mustached plumber that's about to get decked by Jak and being shot at by Master Chief? Oh, it's just Nintendo's mascot Mario, that's all. It looks like Nintendo is losing the war. Poor Mario.

Turn to page 26. What console's games are placed on top? Why Sony's, of course. And Nintendo....? Placed on the bottom. To add insult to injury, they chose to showcase the DS'es lineup with an early shot of a Kirby game and.... Mario Baseball? Surely, they could've put Resident Evil 4 and another title in their places. After all, they clearly picked three of the PS2's and Xbox's biggest upcoming games.

Turn to page 32 for EGM International to check out what's currently happening in the Land of the Rising Sun.... on the PS2! Naturally, because I mean nobody would be interested in what's coming out in Japan for the GC and Xbox. And feel free to pull out EGMs from the previous year to scope this same section for much more PS2 import software!

Of course, they've gotta do another huge feature on Halo 2, because nobody has played that game before..... And they've gotta run previews for PS2 and Xbox software. I mean, who wants to see any GC games previewed? Nobody.

I need not go any further into their 10 best consoles of all time feature because I've already done so in the appropriate thread.

The rumor mill has nothing to say about Nintendo.... but Sony? Microsoft? OF COURSE!! And check their sidebar "In the Hotseat" where you can always be sure to read about a pro-Sony/Microsoft game developer's opinions!

On page 72 begins their Year of the Portables section. (Pop quiz: Which handheld is first in the spread above? If you picked PSP, CONGRATULATIONS!!) Turn the page to view (what else?) the PSP with a mock-up photo of a game not running on the system! And what does EGM have to say about Sony's entry into the portable arena? That the PSP is the "clear favorite" in the brewing war!!! I guess that we don't need to make up our own minds about small things like our personal opinions because EGM has made our minds up for us! THANK YOU EGM!

And that concludes my rant.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-03-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #1058
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

this whole Sony push by EGM is getting rather old. It did not bother me at first, but the more I read EGM i started getting tired of it. I bet 100 bucks Icarus that when it gets close to the PS2 release of RE4, EGM will do massive coverage on it and probably even give it better scores then the GCN version. I miss the old days of EGM, but unfortunately now they are Sony's whore and will not give XBOX or even Gamecube the coverage that they are due. Pathetic I say, pathetic.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #1059
Joe Redifer
Olé!

So why are you complaining here? You should also either e-mail them your comments or send a link to that post. They'll read it.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:29 AM   #1060
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

SavedFromSin, I actually doubt that RE4 on PS2 will get huge coverage, simply because by that time it will be old news and there will more than certainly be other big titles coming out on the system by then. They should've changed their cover feature title to "Year of the PSP" because, in their own words, it's the "clear favorite." And the DS? The Virtual Boy 2 (read in the back).

Joe, why bother? I've written them before (twice) and never received a reply. I don't care about sending them letters because it doesn't change anything anyway. They're a mainstream magazine and there's just no getting around it. Writing a letter to them is the same as complaining to Sony themselves.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:49 AM   #1061
Nindalf

Icarus's leaving, eh? My Tingle Tuner hasn't informed me of this. Surprising, considering I'm here all the time. Well, see ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
I need to re-review TMNT and Super Mario 64 because I don't think I did them justice.
And I think you are right. Now run along and write a nice little praise of Super Mario 64.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:06 AM   #1062
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:42 AM   #1063
Nindalf

By the way, you gave Rock N' Roll Racing an 8 on the first page of the thread but you actually gave it a 6 in the review. I'm such a nice person so I wanted to point that out, although 8 would be a much more accurate score for such a masterpiece. But then again you seem that have a thing for 6s.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:37 AM   #1064
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Everyone's entitled to their opinion of a system, and the guy who joked "Virtual Boy 2" in EGM was told that he would eat his words in the next paragraph. Is the magazine not supposed to say anything negative at all about Nintendo? But saying something negative about Sony would be fine and objectional, right?
Old 01-08-2005, 03:57 AM   #1065
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

"I destroyed their digestion with a poisoned marsupial pie." ~ Lola

Illusion of Gaia - SNES - Rating 4
Ho-hum. Here's a game that would've been well-served staying in development for another three or four months. I never got around to really playing this back when it first came out in 1993, so I was looking forward to it. I had heard so much about this game, about how it was the perfect compliment to A Link to the Past and such. But I just can't shake the feeling that this is an average game with mediocre production values. Oftentimes, I'd be running along when suddenly a message window would appear onscreen out of nowhere, and I'd miss what was said because by pressing a direction I'd close the message window (I was too busy trying to play the game). It's as if Enix/Quintet had built a machine for mixing games, threw in a copy of Zelda, Actraiser and RPG Maker, pressed the mix button and all hell broke loose. I say RPG Maker only because Gaia has a cheap, amateur feel to it and I'm not exactly sure why.
One thing is for certain: if you think this is akin to an adventure version of Actraiser, you'd be wrong, but just a little. Many of the sound effects, such as when you connect with an enemy, are ripped directly from Actraiser. But AR is far and away the superior game. In fact, AR looks better, has better artwork, enemy/boss design and challenge (Gaia is a pushover), has a far superior soundtrack (thanks to Yuzo Koshiro, no less), and feels much more professional in every sense. So why couldn't Gaia be as good? I just don't understand it.

The story revolves around Will and his search for his missing father who disappeared a year ago. Will's a headstrong young lad who is followed by a gang of misfits (sorry, that's what I call them) that want to share his adventure to prevent a world disaster. For instance, Princess Kara is a selfish girl who runs away from her father, the King, to join Will on his quest. Even when she's told not to do something, she usually winds up doing it anyway. In this regard she's stubborn and pretentious. Eventually, she begins to develop feelings for Will. Although there's some character development, it doesn't matter that much because most of the cast is forgettable. But at least there's witty, humorous dialogue every so often to keep the mood alive. (This game was translated by Nintendo for US release.)

The quest is linear and you don't get to roam around the world at leisure like you get to in a Zelda title. Not that this is a bad thing but since, in this regard, it is very much like an action quest I expected a little more bang for the buck. The enemies are almost always pushovers, even the ones which have a lot of health. The dungeon designs range from acceptable to downright boring and pathetic. For instance, the Sky Garden is a good dungeon design which has a backside, a reverse version of the normal areas with stronger foes. When you accomplish something on one side it usually affects the other. In that respect, this is very much like Metroid Prime 2.... just over ten years ago! But I was put-off by other dungeon designs such as Mu because, in that particular instance, I often found myself aimlessly running around --there's no map to collect! I had to drain water from the area (twice), find out where the boss was, then run back and search for a save spot (Gaia) where I could transform to Freedan which, in this area, was set waaaaaay back! The save spot near the boss room doesn't allow you to transform. That's annoying. :annoyed:
The bosses are jokes. Most of the time, I'd simply sit there wildly attacking them and, so long as I didn't make body contact with theirs, I'd win the battles easily. And this is what people consider to be good!? Although some of them are designed well enough, some of them are stupid, including the final boss....? How could Enix take 16-MEGS (double Zelda ~ LTTP) and make a game that doesn't look as good? Oh, and I should bring up the puzzle elements: there are some nice moments but for the most part the focus is on the action, which I wouldn't have a problem with if the game presented more of a challenge. Seriously, at one point I had so many herbs I had to start discarding them!

The game plays similar to Zelda but less complex. Will can use either his flute or, when changed to Freedan, a sword to attack. Later on, he can change to another form. Also, he can use dark powers once acquired, has the innate psychic ability to draw distant objects closer to him (use L or R trigger), etc. etc. The controls feel awkward because of how easy it is to accidentally start running forward with a double-tap. Your mission usually involves finding some said statue or artifact in order to place it in some location, or, to find a song to play on the flute in a certain place. Speaking of the flute songs, the first one you get, titled "Lola's Melody," is a blatant ripoff of the melody to the famous Christmas tune 'Sweet Little Jesus Boy.' Have a listen for yourself sometime if you don't believe me. Anyway, instead of collecting Triforce pieces, you're searching for six Mystic Statues. How exciting.

So from what I understand, this is actually the sequel to Soul Blazer and the sequel, Creation of Heaven & Earth, also known as Terranigma, was never released in the US. I have no idea whether they're better or worse than Illusion of Gaia, so I will refrain from commenting.

I find it amusing to no end how in virtually every adventure/RPG game you can nonchalantly walk into a stranger's house, take their belongings, have a friendly conversation or two, and then walk out like nothing happened. Not that there's a lot of stuff to find in people's homes in this game, but isn't this just a tad unrealistic? Ah well. It's a video game; it's not meant to be realistic.
The graphics and animation are adequate but average. There are some nice touches here and there, such as the way the wind visibly blows on Will in specific areas. Overall, though, the game is weak in the special effects department. To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything special seeing as this was released about midway through the console's lifecycle, but it could've been better. Take a look at Actraiser 2 or even Terranigma and tell me I'm wrong.
Let's talk about the music. ....Actually, let's not. What does Crusader of Centy, Landstalker, Alundra, Zelda, and Neutopia all have in common (aside from being better games)? They all have much, much better soundtracks. Really, this soundtrack defines mediocrity. Much to my nonsatisfaction, there are--literally--zero memorable songs throughout the entire game! None! It's not even funny. And the sound effects are, for the most part, borrowed from Actraiser, as I mentioned before.
It's a shame, really, because Actraiser was such a high quality epic, and with half as many MEGS. I wanted one of two things from Illusion of Gaia: Either an epic adventure that could stand on both legs or an edge of your seat, bonafide action/adventure with similar quality production to Actraiser, or even both. I found it to be neither. How so many people can raise such a ruckus over such a sad effort is beyond me.

Here's a site with tons of stuff about Illusion of Gaia ~ http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/snes/iog/

Last edited by Icarus4578; 01-08-2005 at 04:19 AM.