The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-22-2004, 07:23 PM   #961
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

I'll say that Japan has been very commercialized as of late, and very few games come close to the quality that was found in the ps1 and saturn days and before. I personally think that too many people are looking for games from Japan to play and not looking at the great games that the US has. Even if thier sports, sensless violence and fps', they still had what it took to out perform Japan's games this gen. The video game was created in by the US, Japan only elaborated on it. I also think that localization in foriegn countries and ports play a part in the way video games are recieved nowadays.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:39 PM   #962
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Japan may not be as prolific as they once were, but they are (mostly) still quality. It is true that Capcom has really fallen in quality for the most part and Konami isn't what they used to be. But when you can only make one game a year because the current systems take so much effort to program for, it appears like they are underperforming by great margins.

I don't get your Sega comment. personally I still find them quite awesome. Sure, Sonic Heroes may not be the best game around, but Sonic was pretty much always hit and miss from Sonic 2 on. Let's look at what Sega has done this generation so far:

Panzer Dragoon Orta
Super Monkeyball 1 and 2
F-Zero GX
Feel the Magic XX/XY
House of the Dead III
Virtua Fighter 4
Shinobi
Nightshade
Gunvalkyrie

That's 10 in-house made games right there, and all of them fantastic in my opinion. This does not even count the games that Sega published but did not program themselves such as Otogi 1 and 2, Astro Boy for the GBA, etc. They are still good, in my opinion, and I am happy to be Sega-biased!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:28 AM   #963
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Todays games are crap compared to your list Icarus. You just reminded how far we have come from the quality that was gaming.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:34 AM   #964
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Panzer Dragoon Orta ~ Didn't enjoy it
Super Monkeyball 1 and 2 ~ Haven't played them, though I know how fun they're supposed to be
F-Zero GX ~ Not as good as the original in my book, but decent
Feel the Magic XX/XY ~ Haven't played (or, should I say, touched) it
House of the Dead III ~ Light gun games, while fun for awhile, tend to die out rather quickly
Virtua Fighter 4 ~ Good game, if a little dry
Shinobi ~ As good as the previous outings? Nowhere near....
Nightshade ~ Haven't played it, but I don't like the looks of it
Gunvalkyrie ~ ...No thank you

Here's what Sega's lineup should resemble~

Sequels to Space Harrier, a true sequel to Phantasy Star (those remakes better make it stateside), Shenmue 3, NiGHTS 2, etc., and some cool new games that don't look like more of the same, cookie-cutter material.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:36 AM   #965
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

SavedFromSin, there's a few games that come along every year that are worth it. But the amount of fun, quality titles today is in short supply.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:45 AM   #966
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Why should Sega's lineup only involve sequels? They still have more good games this generation than any other company in my book. Sega seems to be doing quite well. Also you cannot be considered a true gamer if you have not played Super Monkeyball. It is in the 10 Commandments written by God and edited by Jesus Hisself..
Old 11-23-2004, 02:50 AM   #967
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I didn't say that every game should be a sequel, did I? Show me where I said that? But even so, should Sega just give up on their good series? I don't think so. There's more than enough room for both types of games (sequels + new titles).
Old 11-23-2004, 03:12 AM   #968
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well considering that they have already made some "cool new games" that don't look like cookie-cutter material, I reckoned you are disappointed in the lack of sequels of particular games. I agree, sequels to those games would be great, but I'm still happy. Sega doesn't forget their old series very easily. I mean they recently arranged some music from the SMS game "Rambo II". They remember. But if they do sequels, I want them to be GOOD and not half-assed efforts like the recent Sega Ages series for PS2.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:59 AM   #969
Mr.Fantastic
Banned

good effort! that's fantastic! :yawn:
Mr.Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 12:16 AM   #970
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

You forgot Outrun 2 Redifer! Or did you not like it?
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:02 AM   #971
Joe Redifer
Olé!

No I did not (forget, that is, I definitely liked it). However the Xbox version of Out Run 2 was ported to the console by Sumo Digital, so I left it off the list of games for "this generation" directly programmed by Sega. They did do the arcade version though.

<--- still trying to figure out Mr. Fantastic's post.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:34 AM   #972
Mr.Fantastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
No I did not (forget, that is, I definitely liked it). However the Xbox version of Out Run 2 was ported to the console by Sumo Digital, so I left it off the list of games for "this generation" directly programmed by Sega. They did do the arcade version though.

<--- still trying to figure out Mr. Fantastic's post.
you should review 'new zealand story' and 'faery tale' for the amiga 500. they are sexier than david hasselhoff.

Mr.Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:49 AM   #973
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Ah, must be somebody sent from EGM. Welcome.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:08 AM   #974
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Mommy! Make it stop sucking the life out of me!

Metroid Prime 2 ~ Echoes - GC - Rating 4
Whew! Within just two years we've gotten not one but two great GBA Metroid installments (although I could've done without the added stealth mission in Zero Mission...), and two more for the GC. Nintendo knows what they're doing, I'd say. For starters, they made 100% certain that those endowed with the mega-hit franchise (Retro) would get the job down on a satisfactory level. Since Nintendo wanted to bring the series into full 3D from a first-person perspective it's no wonder they chose an extremely talented American company to do the job. The result? Metroid Prime: a FPS that I can sink my teeth into.
Lo and behold, Nintendo/Retro pull yet another tag team effort just two years after the original with Echoes, the sequel to the original Prime, which has upped the ante in the FPS genre with even more challenging foes and bosses, more power-ups, a world with two faces (light and dark), and just plain old more Metroid goodness. It doesn't pretend it's a movie. It's not trying to be a striking novel or anything else of the sort. What Echoes is is visceral-filled action gaming through and through. Gamers don't go to game stores looking to purchase new novels or movies--they just want to purchase games. Good games. Games that rock. Games that rule. Games like Metroid Prime 2.

Now imagine that. Gamers.... going to the game store.... looking to purchase video games. What a concept!

The first thing you'll inevitably notice about Prime 2 is it's more grim, dark atmosphere and architecture. Right from the get-go you'll be treated to an almost Resident Evil-esque welcome on the planet Aether as deceased soldiers--called Dark Troopers--reanimate to life and attack Samus. Old technology and eroded sceneries mesh with orgasmic life forms and dark inhabitants hellbent on syphoning the life out of the planet's natural light side and transferring it into a dark realm. And the guilty party is the Ing, a new menace which Samus must contend with. Metroids, while present, take a backseat here, playing a less-significant role other than the fact that the Ing are fascinated with them and that Samus must eventually confront them. The Ing are dark creatures with nasty abilities such as being able to possess other creatures and make them even worse than they were in their original state.
The world of Aether is divided into two sides: Light and Dark Worlds. Samus must navigate between both sides via portals located all over the world. You'll need to go back and forth from time to time in order to solve puzzles, acquire items and so forth. This isn't just a cheap gimmick, either--things which you do on one side often affects the other, and the Dark World isn't simply a "dark version" of the Light World, though they often share similar characteristics. Think Zelda ~ Link to the Past and you'll get the idea ...sorta.

Prime 2 is chock full of huge areas, claustrophobic corridors and a few water-based areas. Although there's just four major locations on the world map--both light and dark versions--and one tiny area (Great Temple), this game seems to cover more ground than the original Prime did (and that's a lotta ground). Yeah, it would've been cooler if there was one or two more areas but.... I'm still wondering how in the world they managed to cram such a huge world inside such a tiny disc. What effects! What great enemy encounters! And all with such astounding detail! A brave new Metroid offering, yours for the taking.

How do you say it in Italian.... Come sei bella?

The enemies are more formidable than ever before. Dark Pirates can camouflage themselves so that you can only see them with the Dark Visor and they're meaner than ever before! New mechanic creatures such as the Ingsmasher add an intimidating punch (though they're a cinch once you get their patterns down). The various Ing are also pretty menacing, at least while you're still relatively weak. There's a noticeably larger amount of Sub Guardians and Bosses, and they're even harder than the first Prime. Wait until you see some of these things! There must be almost 100 different creatures throughout the game (*note* I didn't count, though it does keep track of them all if you analyze them; I'm just taking a random guess). Comparatively, other FPS don't even come close to offering as much. Now that I've played this series again in 3D, it reaffirms by belief that other FPS titles don't even come close to touching Metroid's sheer majesty. Prime 2 is, to this date, the FPS to own. It's so much better than Halo 2 that I'll never go back to that game ever again for as long as I live, effectively knocking off three points from my original Rating, reducing it to ultra-mundane status, alas, exposed for the sorry joke that it is.

Bungie = Frauds.
Retro = Gaming goodness. 'Nuff said.

How come no Rating 8 for Echoes? It's a great FPS game and, yes, cetrainly, a great Metroid game. But I don't think I could ever love a 3D Metroid like the 2D ones. Make no mistake about it: the Metroid Prime series gets the job done the right way, a genuine transition from 2D to 3D if ever there was one. Most other series which have undergone similar transitions (Castlevania, to name but one) have not been satisfactory. You have my word that Metroid Prime 2 is Metroid through and through. You get stellar controls, incredibly varied room designs literally brimming with solid puzzle solving elements worthy of the series, all the morph ball goodies such as the spider ball executed to brilliant effect, the screw attack (YESSS!!), light and dark beams/an annihilator beam + charged combos, etc. As for the various visors, let me tell you, they add so much to the experience, and all of them are useful; don't be fooled by a few bad apples in the mainstream "game" media who make a living by inventing reasons to bitch about Nintendo products, then go out of their way to give absolutely crappy, thoughtless sequels with no gameplay and contrived stage design (*wink*) perfect scores across the boards -- games which nobody is gonna touch a couple years down the road. And that's that.

That ugliness aside, I think it's obvious by now that Metroid looks and plays fantastic. But what about the sound? The music is that undeviatingly familiar Metroid stuff, though it kinda sits behind the sound effects much of the time. However, I was pleased with the creepy music for the last form of the final boss, 'final' being a subjective term here. ;) If you wait after the credits, when the Mission Final screen comes up, you'll hear a familiar tune reworked. I'm unhappy that they still haven't incorporated the familiar item fanfare tune heard in previous outings. ....Um, why? The sound effects are excellent and there's Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround support, as well as Stereo/Mono, of course. 2D Metroids still have better soundtracks overall.
I've only gotten 88% complete my first time through because I wanted to bring you this review as soon as I had beaten the game. It's worth noting that I opened Hard Mode and several art galleries (I've opened galleries 1, 2, 3, and 5 thus far). Good stuff. There were a couple of parts where I was just beside myself with angst, wondering what to do next. It wouldn't be Metroid without a few tough areas, now would it? Echoes offers a 20-25 hour quest filled with intrigue and suspense in a large world with two faces. If Nintendo keeps taking their Retroids then we'll probably meet our friend Samus again, perhaps on the Revolution. I can't wait.

:cool guy:

EDIT ~ I've lowered the rating because I don't feel that it is the kind of game that's worth going through more than once.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 01-08-2005 at 05:13 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:05 AM   #975
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

So why rate the bulk of Halo 2 (or at least spend the time talking about it in your review) on the first player mode when the real meaty part is the online multiplayer? BTW, good review of Metroid Prime 2, but you didn't have a single bit on the multiplayer? Is it just not that good or what?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote