The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #871
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

UPDATE ~ I've beaten KoF~MI with every character and completed 39 out of 40 missions. The only one I can't seem to figure out is how to pull off a 30+ hit combo. :???:
Old 10-22-2004, 02:37 PM   #872
gearhound
Versus the World

man, i was hoping this would be a good fighter. i'll pass. sony is so pathetic making them change the names/voices to english. DAMNIT I HATE THAT ****!! i really wish they would go away.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:21 PM   #873
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Why would they make them change the names/voices to Engrish when there is Japanese ALL OVER Katmari Damacy? There is even a lot of Japanese singing.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:21 PM   #874
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Probably because they take exception to SNK games. They've given them a hard time releasing games here. As for Katamari, I don't think SCEA would dare to damage their relationship with Namco. And besides, Katamari's $20.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:10 AM   #875
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Probably because they take exception to SNK games. They've given them a hard time releasing games here. As for Katamari, I don't think SCEA would dare to damage their relationship with Namco. And besides, Katamari's $20.

They could've released it for more, but to be totally honest no video game should cosr more than $30. I'll shell out for $40 and rarely $50 games, but video games should seriously be $30 brand new, no matter what game they are. That'll be my best asset as a game developer in the future, make awsome games at awsome prices.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:01 AM   #876
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Heh. Don't we all wish. If every game costed $20 game sales would skyrocket, unquestionably.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:43 AM   #877
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Ride the lightening

Lightening Force ~ Quest for the Darkstar - Genesis - Rating 9
Also known as Thunder Force IV, this game is one of the finest example of the shooter genre that you'll ever find anywhere. Sega manages to get more out of their 16-bit console than most others could ever dream. What you're seeing is perhaps the standard Genesis shooter, the one to top all others. Whether there is a better shooter for the system, I cannot recall. But few others have come close to it since, and that goes for all subsequent shooters on every platform. Killer visuals, breathtaking action, stellar enemy and boss designs, cool music.... It's all here: LF is the complete package.
I'm not going to say "These graphics are great," like you might expect me to. I'd much rather call it by its real name: Art. Utterly... fantastic... art. Plain and simple. Am I right? Take a look for yourself ~ Screenshots Other shooters can only dream of ascertaining similar resplendency. And to see it in motion makes such a huge difference! If I sound a little too enthusiastic, that's because I'm trying to rub some of that energy off on you. When you start up the game, you are presented with four stages, and you can select the order in which to tackle them. Make Strite your first choice. No, really, go ahead. You are greeted by your ship so make sure you learn the controls which should take no more than a few seconds. As you'll witness firsthand, this game moves at a brisk speed with a tremendous amount of parallax and line scrolling. Everything is super-detailed, from the exceptionally realized stages to the wild assortment of enemy ships and bio-mechanical creatures. You will say to yourself "This game rocks," and your preconceptions may never be the same again.
Veteran shooters and Thunder Force afficionados will immediately take pleasure in wiping the Cha-Oss Legion a new one. Shooting is fast and frantic, as expected. The enemies are awesome, often HUGE, and never seem to stop coming. If you set this game to Maniac difficulty in the options screen, you will be overwhelmed by how startlingly difficult this game can be. Even to the best of my capacity I've yet to unveil the ending on this difficulty, though I'm certain that I could if I worked at it long enough. Heck, I beat Galactic Force on Hard before, and that was a challenge worthy of this game -- a challenge which I will not soon forget. The bosses in LF, well.... let's just say they put other efforts to shame. Just when you think you've beaten Strite (Stage 1), you haven't. Your ship plunges underwater and you're still fighting strong. Once you've completed a stage, the game moves seamlessly into the next one. Everything feels right: You can select different engine speeds anytime you please, you can store up to five weapons (be careful about dying because you can lose them) and each is selectable at anytime, and the freedom of motion is second-to-none. Whereas in other shooters you spend most of your time just moving around the screen while the game dictates the screen's movement (e.g. Lords of Thunder), here you'll often be presented with the opportunity to move up/down across several screens. This is a rather rare luxury for a 2D shooter and is done to great effect here.
Later stages are wickedly intense, one of which acts like a multi-routed area wherein the choices you make determine how easy or difficult the progression is. There isn't really much to say. The reader should experience things as they come instead of having a review describe every facet of the game. Just know that these are ten of the best stages you'll ever get out of a game.
The music rocks, literally. Expect to hear plenty of rock-inspired tuneage throughout. There's a tremendous amount of songs, and there's even voices whenever you pick up a weapon/power-up. For example, get the Claw weapon and it sounds like the game says "CRAW!" I don't recall off the top of my head but I think these same voices may've been used in previous Thunder Force titles. Sound effects are above average for a Genesis game.
Lightening Force doesn't just look yummy but tastes delicious too, so dig in and enjoy. Games of this magnitude only come around on special occasion. Axelay (SNES), Darius Gaiden (Saturn) and this here Sega treasure are about as good as the genre gets, so if you don't own any of 'em, please, don't wait any longer and give a shooter a place to call home. It may wreck your social life for a day or two but that's a rather small sacrifice for this much quality, is it not?

Here's a review from the Classic Review Archive, for your enjoyment. Also, here's some more screenshots from Moby Games.

Yes, Sega of America intentionally misspelled "lightning." ....Didn't they?

Last edited by Icarus4578; 02-25-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 05:07 AM   #878
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I think it would have been easier for them to spell "Thunder" than "Lightning". They had a very popular franchise going and in typical Sega of America fashion, they decided to change something for absolutely no reason. I guess they thought that name recognition was overrated. Maybe they should call the next Star Wars movie "The Revenge of Lixwax" and just drop the "Star Wars" name all together. I am amazed Sega of America didn't make Spencer Nilsen create a new, calmer, more Jamaican soundtrack for the game. I truly hope that all employees of Sega of America that worked there around that time are unemployed, homeless, begging for scraps and having a miserable time due to their stupidity.

Thunder Force IV is a great game. I think I'm probably one of the few who loved the hell outta Thunder Force II and didn't whine constantly about the overhead stages which were hella fun. TF2 offered a good challenge. Thunder Force III came along (which I imported from Japan, which is a country where a few Asians live and some of them make video games) and I loved what they did with the graphics and music, but the game was exceedingly easy. But then Thunder Force IV comes along and obviously TechnoSoft was compensating for how easy Thunder Force III was. They must have really been panned for that game's difficulty, because when Thunder Force V came along they made it even HARDER than Thunder Force IV! I still have not beaten Thunder Force V. By the way the PlayStation version of part 5 sucks ass.

TechnoSoft used the same whorebitch for the voices in each game. They weren't the same samples. They were new recordings for each game, just the same whorebitch. After the recording session she gave all of the programmers BJ's. She was a whorebitch and still is to this day.

Sega of America pisses me off.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 10-23-2004 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:14 AM   #879
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

HAHAHAHA!!! "I truly hope that all employees of Sega of America that worked there around that time are unemployed, homeless, begging for scraps and having a miserable time due to their stupidity." That's too funny!! And, "TechnoSoft used the same whorebitch for the voices in each game. They weren't the same samples. They were new recordings for each game, just the same whorebitch. After the recording session she gave all of the programmers BJ's. She was a whorebitch and still is to this day." Classic stuff. :cool guy:
Old 10-23-2004, 01:13 PM   #880
Vert1
Banned

Ack...I think I saw that game and was in deep concentration of whether I should buy it but picked up SplatterHouse2 instead.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 07:36 PM   #881
gearhound
Versus the World

joe, why do you think the PS version of thunder force V sucks? the saturn version isn't really that much more impressive. do you not like the voices or what? what's the deal? thunder force V is one hell of a shooter.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #882
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I know, Thunder Force V is great! The main reason the Saturn version is better than the PS version is the audio. All of the audio. Also the intro is worse (big deal), and there seems to be less depth in the graphics (fewer scrolling screens) than the Saturn version. The graphics are certainly no better than the Saturn's and are in fact worse due to the diminished depth. I am not one to settle for an inferior version of any game when a better version exists. I can videotape the Saturn version for you.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #883
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

The saturn sucks at handling 3d, Wipeout, Resident Evil, Raystorm, Shilouhete Mirage, Grandia, and Castlevania: SotN have major slowdown and really bad graphics. There are some oddities like DoA and Thunder Force V which have better graphics and sound than on the ps1. I have Thunder Force V, but I have yet to play it, due to the fact that my friend has my brothers' saturn. Damn, now I want to play Sonic Jam and Rockman 8, thanks a lot Joe.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:58 PM   #884
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I don't recall any slowdown in Sillhouette Mirage. Castlevania:NinM has slowdown because Konami sucks as a company and just ported the game instead of reprogramming it. Since the PS1 couldn't handle sprites, they used two triangular polygons to form a square/rectangle and then they mapped the sprite image on that. If they would have just taken those same images and put them on real spites on the Saturn, I think the game would have run 20 times better than the PS1 version. Also, it's running what basically amounts to PS1 code. So I wouldn't blame Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight on the Saturn, I'd definitely blame ol' shitty-ass Konami.

Also, I wasn't aware Raystorm was even available on the Saturn. Goddamn that game sucked on the PS1 though. I can't believe I actually own it. Grandia worked pretty damn well on the Saturn, being that was the system the game was designed on and all.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:26 AM   #885
gearhound
Versus the World

yes, i am sure the sega saturn version is better, but the PS version is still good. i really liked the music in thunder force 5 as well. i think it is silly to say that the PS version sucks though.