King of Fighters series
Art of Fighting
World Heroes
Viewpoint
Last Blade
Samurai Shodown
Metal Slug
King of Monsters etc etc etc

Most Neo Geo games aren't worth playing, however. They are mostly just "me too" fighting games.
those are just fighters, joe. do you even own a neo geo? there are plenty of action games and shooters for the system that were not brought to other consoles. all of the neo geo games that were ported were never as good anyway.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:45 AM   #782
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Plenty? No. A few? Yeah. Are they worth two shits? Mostly not. Also, last time I checked, Viewpoint and Metal Slug were not fighting games. Fighting games take up at least 80-85% of the Neo Geo game library. And Magician Lord is still the best Neo Geo game, unless you happen to be a KoF whore, and I find the KoF series to be much less than the Street Fighter series. The graphics are bland, characters uninteresting, and the upgrades each year are like upgrades to sports games each year. You don't need a new KoF each year.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:09 AM   #783
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
I've never played Rage of the Dragons, though I've certainly wanted to. I'm presuming you've played it Freeman, so what do you think?
Only at an arcade:
Grafix are like Garou, gameplay is good there is an input for an automatic combo string (Don't remeber this correctly).
The one thing I don't like is the lack of specail moves, I remeber reading in a FAQ that each charachter had only 4 specail moves and 1 Ssuper move, with a weak and strong verion (like DMs and SDMs).
The game is good, but maybe for a little while, I dunno, gotta play more of it to give a final decisoin myself.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:13 AM   #784
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Plenty? No. A few? Yeah. Are they worth two shits? Mostly not. Also, last time I checked, Viewpoint and Metal Slug were not fighting games. Fighting games take up at least 80-85% of the Neo Geo game library. And Magician Lord is still the best Neo Geo game, unless you happen to be a KoF whore, and I find the KoF series to be much less than the Street Fighter series. The graphics are bland, characters uninteresting, and the upgrades each year are like upgrades to sports games each year. You don't need a new KoF each year.
The switch to tagging in 2003 was very good IMO. Plus some of the sprites have been 'improved' a bit like Robert and K' getting new stances.
I find this the best 2D KoF game yet.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:12 AM   #785
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Wow. 2003. When did X-Men vs Street Fighter come out? I think that was the first tagging Street Fighter game. That must have been what, '97 or '98. Also I wish the Neo geo would use a resolution above 320x224. That's the exact same resolution as the Genesis, and even Sonic 2 found a way to up that resolution to 320 x 448 by interlacing. I don't think there are any interlaced Neo Geo games.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:54 AM   #786
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Wow. 2003. When did X-Men vs Street Fighter come out? I think that was the first tagging Street Fighter game. That must have been what, '97 or '98. Also I wish the Neo geo would use a resolution above 320x224. That's the exact same resolution as the Genesis, and even Sonic 2 found a way to up that resolution to 320 x 448 by interlacing. I don't think there are any interlaced Neo Geo games.
I believe it was 1996
Old 08-19-2004, 08:29 AM   #787
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I'm close to the end of Disc 1 in Tales of Destiny II. I'm sorry but I haven't had much time to play games. Once I finish Destiny II and review it get straight to work on Symphonia (GC).
Old 08-23-2004, 11:26 PM   #788
Vert1
Banned

I'm sure you'll like Symphonia as you seemed mighty displeased with RPG's this gen.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:05 AM   #789
Joe Redifer
Olé!

He'll like it just as long as he doesn't factor in the sappy, overlong story.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 AM   #790
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Oh I've already heard some negative things about it. I'll reserve judgement until I've actually experienced it myself. Destiny II has an alright story, though I have spotted some inconsistencies and certain things that make no sense. The gameplay is quite good if a tad sloppy, but I enjoy it. When I got to Disc 2 it reminded me of Phantasy Star.

Since I realize that it's gonna be a bit longer before I put ToD2 down for the count, I'm going to review an X-Box game tommorrow to pass the time. Normally, I would've had ToD2 beat within a few days but I just haven't had the time--it's not because I'm not interested in the game, mind you. Read what other people have said. They agree that ToD2 is a great RPG.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:30 AM   #791
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Oh I've already heard some negative things about it. I'll reserve judgement until I've actually experienced it myself. Destiny II has an alright story, though I have spotted some inconsistencies and certain things that make no sense. The gameplay is quite good if a tad sloppy, but I enjoy it. When I got to Disc 2 it reminded me of Phantasy Star.

Since I realize that it's gonna be a bit longer before I put ToD2 down for the count, I'm going to review an X-Box game tommorrow to pass the time. Normally, I would've had ToD2 beat within a few days but I just haven't had the time--it's not because I'm not interested in the game, mind you. Read what other people have said. They agree that ToD2 is a great RPG.
First where'd you get that duck/rabbit pic?
Second what's taking long with that review?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #792
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I should finish ToD2 by this weekend, which means a review will go up by early next week. The duck/rabbit avatar comes from http://www.naute.com/puzzles/. If you're interested in more similar sites that contain riddles, here ya go~
http://www.brainteasercentral.com/li...3552a8354a31c6
http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~sjmi...s/riddles.html

Last edited by Icarus4578; 08-25-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:50 AM   #793
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

It's a karaoke out there

X-Box Music Mixer - X-Box - Rating 4
Karaoke.... Interactive Media Player.... PC to X-Box Music and Photo Transfer.... Photo Album Viewer.... 2D & 3D Visual Effects.... These things and more are what the X-Box Music Mixer promises. Being a musician first and foremost (composer/arranger/songwriter/guitarist [both electric and classical/spanish], pianist, etc.) I expected to have quite a bit of fun with Microsoft's foray into the realm of audio, yet I can't help but feel underwhelmed at the final product.
I'm not saying that this little program isn't any good. There's a lot to appreciate here: It comes with a free microphone which you can connect to your X-Box controller, and up to two people can sing together provided you have two mics connected to two controllers. Or, you can use your X-Box Communicator headset to sing. How it works should be obvious: Choose a song from either the Music Mixer disc or from your own soundtrack downloaded into your X-Box HD and record your karaoke performance. There's an option you can toggle to shut off vocals on songs, though this won't completely remove the vocals, and will inevitably remove some of the other recorded tracks from the song you're trying to sing over.
I have two gripes with this program. First of all the microphone included is rather unsophisticated as you really have to produce loud pitches (from a distance of about 10-12") in order for it to properly pick up your vocals, and whenever you sing close to the mic it pronounces your breathing too strongly and those unwanted lip noises while accentuating certain phrases. It also apparently has a problem replicating higher frequencies as well as it does mid-range stuff. For example, if you're singing in a higher soprano register it will come out sounding somewhat fuzzed. What gives? It's not just the mic that is the problem but the obviously low bandwidth which it records at, probably around 11MHz which is just pathetic. Seriously, you can sing along to a song, save your performance (with the song, of course), then go back into Replay mode, play the song and press the Start button. This will shut off the actual track you sung over and leave just your vocal performance for you to hear. And this program requires a hefty chunk out of your X-Box HD, so you'd at least expect a little more quality from it, especially seeing as that's the main selling point of this program.
Just to prove that this isn't just bile I'm spewing about low bandwidth, take another higher-quality mic with a quarter-inch jack and stick it in to record your performance. While there will inevitably be lower shelf noise it will definitely not improve the recording quality in any way whatsoever. That, to me, sucks. :thumbdn:
Interestingly enough, you can also stick anything into the connector with a quarter-inch jack; you can hook a guitar or keyboard up to it, for example, and play along to whatever you want. Just be careful that you don't overdo it with the output volume to your X-Box as you don't want to risk ruining it (or whatever sound system you've got your X-Box running into).
(*note* You can adjust the volume, reverb and chorus with whatever you've got hooked to your X-Box controller. Furthermore, there's a built-in equalizer which you can play around with.)
As I said before, there is more to this program than just karaoke. There's the regular music player in which you can listen to whatever tracks you want from the HD or CD, and you can perform all the regular activity you could with the standard X-Box music section. But now you can finally rw/ff any song with the right analog thumbstick--something which should've been incorporated into the X-Box from the very beginning. You can also mess around with a photo album and built-in visualizers, including two 3D ones in which you can watch polygonal people get down and boogie to any song you play. This is all fine and well but doesn't really warrant a purchase; it's just a little something extra for you to mess around with. You can also download content such as JPEG, WMA and MP3 files off your PC and store them into the X-Box HD. The stupid, somewhat strange thing here is that you have to log into www.xbox.com/musicmixer before you can download the music mixer program, install it (along with Windows Media Player 9, for some strange reason....), then transfer the data. Why not include the feature to read CD-R and CD-RW discs with the appropriate files? That's far less cumbersome and time-consuming than having to connect your X-Box to your PC, correct? Apparently, Microsoft has a thing against people doing things the easy way (in private) and instead decided to force you to connect your system to your PC so that MS can try to download all the information from your X-Box, for a little harmless marketing research no doubt, right guys? :annoyed:
After you've exhausted its rather bland karaoke feature--its key selling point--you won't be left with much else. X-Box Music Mixer is a massive letdown. I knew before I had purchase it (for $12 no less) that this program wasn't going to scream quality, but I had at least expected the X-Box to do a better job recording my performances. Maybe to the average consumer this is a rare treat, but to me it is a shallow recording/karaoke program that's a waste of time. Why bother with this stupid thing when I can enjoy the benefits of equipment that's far more professional?

Last edited by Icarus4578; 08-25-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 AM   #794
Nindalf

I want a review of Little Nemo the Dream Master and Bionic Commando!(Both NES) AND BE QUICK ABOUT IT!
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:44 PM   #795
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You heard 'im, Icarus!