Old 07-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #721
Omnislash005
Yeaaaaaaaaaagh!

Hope he's not stuck on mm7 like i am.
Omnislash005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:20 AM   #722
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Oh, I've beaten them all last weekend. Everytime I would get ready to write up the reviews I'd become preoccupied with something else (usually music). They'll be up this weekend for sure. And I'll make sure that these reviews stand amongst my very best.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:40 PM   #723
gearhound
Versus the World

they better be up by 5p.m. tomorrow or you are fired.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:38 PM   #724
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Five years after Capcom celebrated the Blue Bomber's 10th Anniversary with Mega Man 8, they're celebrating his 15th with an instant replay of the past....

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - GC/PS2 (no X-Box version though--good thinking Capcom. It's not as if the X-Box is suffering with too many forgettable action/FPS titles leading the helm. :annoyed: ) - Rating 6/6
Rock Man ~ Mega World/Mega Man ~ The Wily Wars - Mega Drive - Rating 8

The beloved Mega Man series shall forever be cherished as one of the cornerstones on which action gamers thrived and became a part of gaming as we used to know it: Stylish, unique and presentable gaming goodness that kept you glued to your console. I say "used to" because most of today's action games are unbelievably generic--all show and no go. You'd have thought that five years would've been more than enough time for Capcom to add another installment to the legacy. Too bad for us. What we've been given are crappy installments in the ever-suffering X series and some strange experimentation on the GBA: the Mega Man Battle Network selection of titles. Capcom has all but forsaken the original format where Mega Man thrived and flourished. Damn it Capcom ~ if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
As you can tell, I'm in a testy mood. But I'm not about to let that hinder me from seeing with the clarity that comes with ounces of experience under my belt. Mega Man is and will forever remain a great series, regardless of whatever experimentation lab Capcom might be putting our blue friend through at the present time. There's no better confirmation of this fact than by feeling the masterful touch of what Capcom's developers were at one time capable of. I must stress however that the ports in Anniversary Collection, while great, are not without flaw.
After some stupid FMV CG (which you can skip), you take control of Mega Man, navigating him through different doors, as opposed to simply selecting everything from menus. There's an options section (with two conspicuously absent areas), a secrets section, and of course the actual MM games. It's clear that Capcom is being cheap when they farm out this series to nameless developers who take up what should be Capcom's work of porting these titles. I guess Mega Man doesn't factor into Capcom's list of priorities at the present time....
Think about this: Nintendo creates three Super Mario Bros. games for NES, then they release the 16-bit system SNES. Not only does Nintendo port all of the titles, they improve them graphically and aurally. They even added in The Lost Levels from Japan for US consumption. Bravo. A little later on Capcom decides to do the same with Rock Man, as MM is known in Japan, by not only porting the first three RM titles but remaking them on the Mega Drive, even adding in three new bosses and a new Wily confrontation! Very cool, but even here Capcom makes one slip-up: Whenever you turn Mega Man to make him move forward, there's a slight delay in action. Also, it's harder to 'edge' him onto the corners of platforms; there's not as much leeway as there originally was. Lastly, you'll find that MM cannot fire with as much rapidity as previously. These small issues aside, Rock Man ~ Mega World is a great accomplishment by Capcom. Unfortunately, US gamers never had the opportunity to enjoy this title because neither Capcom nor Sega decided to publish the title in the States. It did make its way onto European store shelves under the name Mega Man ~ The Wily Wars. At any rate, there were of course some smart individuals who purchased the import. It's worth noting that Capcom released another Japanese exclusive title: Rockman ~ Complete Works (PS) which includes all six of the original titles.
There are four major differences between the first six NES installments and the ports on Anniversary Collection (let's just call it MMAC from now on)~

1) You can now use a rapid fire button to blast away at enemies. Very convenient. A definite plus. (Keep in mind that you cannot use rapid fire in 7 and 8).
2) You can select weapons by using the shoulder buttons during gameplay, but you cannot select special things like Rush. That's another plus.
3) Slowdown and flicker have been drastically reduced. Again, a plus.
4) You can now save every Mega Man title to memory and resume later. However, you cannot save Energy Tanks. Why? (BTW, you can also save in Wily Wars.)

One minor enhancement is that you can draw up a blocked map in most MM titles, and this becomes useful in instances like in MM6 when there's multiple routes for you to choose from. And there's a full-screen illustration which greets you while each title loads up.

Now for the negatives. Are you sitting down?

1) The soundtrack is recorded, not generated from the hardware. And this becomes apparent in MM7 & esp. 8 with some tracks losing their original opening sequences (e.g. Aqua Man) and in the haphazard pasting together of the songs' cadences which then do a turnaround infinitely. It sounds harsh and unpleasant, harming the experience. (On a personal note, I prefer the Saturn version of the MM8 soundtrack to the PSone version, yet they opted for the latter nonetheless.)
2) [GC version only] The GC controller is rather lousy for fast paced 2D action titles such as Mega Man. The D-pad is tiny and you have to get accustomed to using the small B button for jumping and the huge A button for shooting (Y for rapid fire). Not only that but you also have to use the Z button on the top-right of the controller in order to call up the weapon inventory. Not aggravated enough? Ok, try this. Sometimes, when MM is mid-air and you press Z it calls up the in-game options screen instead of the weapon inventory. Ok, so it's not a nightmare, but it's still a hassle.
3) The extras are not worth it. You open some crappy remixed songs which can be listened to in the extras section and three picture galleries which cycle through various drawings and such in a predetermined timetable (you cannot simply cycle through the artwork at your own leisure). Furthermore, the 'interview' with Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune turns out to just be some segment on G4 - the TV 4 Games channel and, actually, features little of the man behind the series and mostly features interviews with dolts like Jon Gibson (Game Journalist from I-don't-know-where), Chris Bieniek, Jason Wilson, and Anatole Brown.... all three of which are from some site called Tips & Tricks.... Seriously, who the hell gives a damn about these people? Who are they and what are they doing on my television screen?? Really.... I don't really have too much of a problem with them aside from that Anatole Brown dufus, explaining how Mega Man X was considered so hard that he felt like breaking his SNES controller.... "Shut your mouth, you friggin' weasel! Nobody cares about your sh*t-fit! Go play Enter the Matrix or something."
The entire segment is pretty much worthless. You know things are wrong when the narrator for the show is obviously some super-geek (you can tell by the squeaky high sound frequency he produces which seems to fall somewhere around 9-12KHz--flawless geek, through and through). Game clips often fly by with such amazing speed that you cannot take time to notice how crappy the person being recorded playing them is, and you can tell that it's being done by somebody at G4 playing a copy of MMAC because of the rapid fire. To add insult to what is now permanent personal injury (I'll probably file a lawsuit against them), they chose some horrible techno music to underline the entire segment, effectively creating a double-dosage of audible harm for us all to endure. They go through most of the MM titles with the typical history lesson to ensure that you're bored throughout most of the segment because you already know pretty much everything that's mentioned.
Since when was Mega Man Legends the "most underrated" MM title? That's Chris Beiniek's take on it anyway. Also, I don't know about everybody else but Legends wasn't a MM title which I "picked up on", according to Jason Wilson. Put simply, MM Legends SUCKED and was all Sony's fault ~ They demanded Capcom produce a MM title in 3D. I truly despise Sony. Get this - according to these people I've never even heard of before, Mega Man 8 on PSone got a little something extra which the Saturn version didn't have: a commemorative miniature artbook featuring illustrations from all of the MM titles. I've personally seen this little artifact and can attest that it's nice but far from essential. No... the point is that they failed to bring up that the Saturn version of the actual game, not the packaging, included two hidden bosses: Cut Man from MM1 and Wood Man from MM2, complete with awesome versions of their individual stage themes. Now if you ask me that's far better than having some small artbook, yet they failed to even make mention of this fact. The version included here in MMAC is the PSone version, soundtrack raped and all.
To sum up, I would've taken the remixed soundtracks of MM1-6 and whatever other extras they might've incorporated over the stupid history lesson anyday, anytime (granted that it would be Capcom doing the actual remixing).

Last edited by Icarus4578; 07-11-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 05:38 PM   #725
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Continued~

For what it's worth, MMAC is a decent collection. I've read some reviews and I simply do not understand how people can make MM5 & 6 out to be bad when they're actually quite enjoyable. In fact, they had also said that the two Power Battles are poor, yet they're actually fun. The one rather poor MM title would have to be 7. It feels like a mediocre chore to play through it. It's so boring. :annoyed: The graphics are tame for a SNES title, the controls are average for a MM game and the soundtrack downright blows!

--Mega Man 1 is always a good game, but I couldn't believe how effortless it was beating it now as opposed to back then when it was considered a very tough game. As a matter of fact, all of the MM games here are easily conquered. Cut Man, Guts Man, Ice Man, etc. still stand amongst MM's best encounters. And there are some memorable music tracks. As it is the first installment, everything is basic in contrast with the sequels - Mega Man can run, shoot and climb. That's pretty much it. Of course, he'll acquire boss weaponry. The final stage is a bit short, but that's expected. Still, MM1 is a true classic and is required play for newcomers.
--Mega Man 2 is considered by many the very best in the series, and with good reason---despite the lack of play mechanics, it has (almost) perfectly balanced gameplay coupled with stellar stage design and awesome bosses like Bubble Man, Quick Man and Wood Man.... effectively transforming simplicity into a thing of beauty and worth. The biggest factor for people's decision is inevitably the soundtrack which stands out as the very best of the series, effortlessly. Oh, and don't forget the chickens trick!
--Capcom evolved the play mechanics with Mega Man 3 by introducing sliding to MM's repertoire, as well as introducing Rush and Proto Man. Here we have yet another great installment with great stage designs and cool bosses like Magnet Man, Snake Man and Gemini Man. A respectable challenge and a good soundtrack round out the experience. I observed that while fighting bosses in MM1 & 2 in Rock Man ~ Mega World you can continuously shoot them while the damage is still occurring, just like could naturally be done in MM3. Just a small detail.
--Mega Man 4 came out around the same time as the SNES began to find its legs, so it came and went with little fanfare. That's truly sad as MM4 is another great installment. Instead of Dr. Wily, Dr. Cossack takes the lead as the main antagonist.... or is Wily involved after all? Hmmm, I wonder.... Ring Man, Bright Man and Dust Man are some of the bosses which Mega Man must overcome. Mega Man can now utilize the Mega Buster which is his charged shot. The new item additions are miniscule at best (the Claw and Balloon), but then again so what? As long as the same remarkable gameplay, great stage design and some cool tunes remain intact then all is well, correct? Mega Man 4 is Mega Joy through and through. Who wouldn't want to fight a huge hippo?
--Of all the Mega Man titles, I'd say that Mega Man 5 is the most underrated - certainly not the suck-fest that is Legends. Get real. Here in MM5 we see some of Capcom's best stage design and boss encounters. This time out, you see Proto Man abduct Dr. Light at the game's opening. Hmmm.... Speaking of Proto Man, one oddity I noticed is that in MM5 when you select to go to the mock-up final area they use his original Japanese name, Break Man, but during the opening and ending they call him by his American name, Proto Man. As is par the course, a nice screw up on Capcom's part. Anyway, Gravity Man's stage is just a blast to play because of how gravity keeps shifting so that Mega Man has to proceed through the stage both rightside-up and upside-down. Crystal Man, Napalm Man, Gyro Man, etc. are awesome. The one boss which is kinda weak is Charge Man. He stands alongside bosses like Junk Man (MM7) as being one of the lamest bosses ever in a MM game. Interestingly enough, this is the only MM title that I know of wherein you call Rush and, instead of being sprung up by jumping on him, Rush himself jumps up when MM jumps on top and from there MM can jump off at will. As you proceed through the stages, you'll have to find and ascertain all of the letters + number 5 in order to spell the title so that Beat may be used (though he's not necessary). Some nice music tracks are also readily apparent throughout the trek, along with some cool ideas utilized such as the water craft in Wave Man's stage. Enjoy.
--Mega Man 6 removes the standard Rush functions in favor of Rush giving Mega Man himself transformations ~ Jet and Pow. I actually enjoyed these new transformations because they can lead MM to new routes within the stages. Pretty nifty. Jet allows MM to fly to otherwise unaccessible areas, while Pow can be charged to produce a powerful attack which, aside from dealing big damage to foes, can break through unsturdy blocks lying about. The bosses range from cool (Knight Man, Plant Man, Wind Man) to rather lame (Tomahawk Man, Blizzard Man, Yamato Man). However, the stages and bosses are still well done. You'll see some ideas which will be used later--the springs from Knight Man's stage return in MM7--and I like some of the concepts employed, such as how you'll begin in Centaur Man's stage above water, proceed through the water, and come out underneath the water. One small problem is that this is perhaps the easiest MM title to date, but they're all very easy in my book. There are a few decent songs to be heard and the final stages are pretty cool. A solid effort.
--I don't enjoy Mega Man 7, and I don't know why. It just has a lazy feel to it. The stage designs are mostly instant replays of past ideas, offering little new. And the bosses range from average (Cloud Man) to lame (Junk Man). A forgettable, distant soundtrack with weak sound effects keeps the boredom level high. But aside from Saturday Night Slam Masters (originally an Arcade), Breath of Fire and maybe one or two other games, Capcom did a terrible job exploiting the SNES sound board. I forgot this game almost as soon as I had put it down. Those of you looking for the instantly enjoyable gameplay of previous installments will not find it here.
--Alas, we conclude the natural progression of the series with Mega Man 8--a highlight in the series, but somewhat upsetting in that Capcom chose the inferior PSone version over the Saturn incarnation. Also, the soundtrack is broken and there's no longer a sound test, much less an options screen. Oh, and you can forget about the Bonus Mode too. Mega Man 8 is still very fun to play, but I cannot help but feel that people are being handed a shell of the Saturn version. To the game. The biggest new addition is being able to shop for items and power-ups. It's great to be able to buy things like new charge shots, faster shots, the ability to exit from already completed stages, etc. The game design is, of course, greatness. However, I've already given a full review of this title, so check it out.
--Mega Man ~ The Power Battles 1 & 2 are short but enjoyable arcades in which you square off against random boss battles (yes, you can acquire their powers). It's very, very fun but bittersweet as it forces me to ponder what this collection could've been had Capcom actually put some effort into it. Can you imagine if 1-7 had been reworked to look like these arcade titles? Well, we'll just have to keep wondering because it's apparent that Capcom isn't interested in the original series anymore, or at least for the time being. But.... if and when Capcom decides to actually create a proper sequel, we've just gotta pray that they don't completely ruin the continuity of the series by turn Mega Man 9 into a 3D debacle of epic proportions.

And that about wraps it up. Mega Man Anniversary Collection, while containing some of action gaming's finest highlights, is a disappointing product for purists such as myself who simply cannot find a reasonable explanation as to why it is that not only do we not get reworked versions but inferior versions on 64-bit systems. There's simply no excuse for Capcom's incompetence. I refuse to see why it is that Capcom could find the time to do a great job reworking MM1-3 on a 16-bit console, yet somehow cannot even seem to get the older titles right on 64-bit consoles. This begs the question ~ Are game developers getting lazy? (Remember this little article I wrote awhile back? ;)) As Capcom and others prove constantly, the answer is a resounding "YES." Just what I needed to see: Great older titles ruined due to laziness. It makes me sick to my stomach. Capcom allowed it to happen because they just don't care about us true gamers anymore. So what are we getting for the Blue Bomber's 20th Anniversary? All of the X titles with MM Legends 1 & 2 as hidden titles, all imperfect and broken on 128/256-bit consoles?!? If Capcom keeps up at their current pace, that's probably what is going to happen.

Welcome to the Mega Man Home Page. Enjoy your visit.
Here's Planet Mega Man for your personal pleasure.
Check out The Wily Wars....
....as well as the endings.
Well how 'bout some sprites taken directly from Wily Wars?

Nintendo managed to stick a flawless port of Metroid in with Zero Mission on GBA....

Last edited by Icarus4578; 07-14-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:12 PM   #726
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I wasn't aware that the PS version of MegaMan 8 had different music than the Saturn version. I had both systems, so obviously I elected to play the Saturn version. How is it different?

The second game in any series of Capcom games are usually the best. Examples:

Street Fighter series: Street Fighter 2 by far the most popular and considered the best (though I prefer X-Men vs Street Fighter).

Mega Man series: Mega Man 2 is the best because of the music and graphics. No other Mega Man can compare.

Ghosts N' Goblins series: Ghouls N' Ghosts was the second and best game in this series, easilly beating out the SNES Super Ghoul's N' Ghosts. The SNES version didn't allow you to shoot up and was the slowest moving game ever made (slower than Chessmaster on the Gameboy even!). You can double jump. Big whoop.

Darkstalkers series: Nightwarriors was better, though not technically a sequel.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:15 PM   #727
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Some of the sounds used are different. Although somewhat subtle, it is still apparent nonetheless. I don't recall, but in the MMAC version of MM8 some bosses' voices sound much higher than in the Saturn version.

And nice points all-around about Capcom and sequels. I'd add Onimusha 2 and Resident Evil 2 to that list.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:25 AM   #728
DarknessTearv2
Nooooo!

Most horrible, unthoughtful and biased reviews ever. The funny part is you wasted your time typing all that stuff when it turns out your overall scores are trash regardless.
DarknessTearv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:26 AM   #729
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Whatever you say.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:32 AM   #730
DarknessTearv2
Nooooo!

It's the truth, for instance you gave some games a 0 without considering soundtrack quality, graphics, story, gameplay. You just based it on your personal feelings on the game which is the sign of a weak reviewer. You could do a lot better if you considered what you DID like in the game.

Last edited by DarknessTearv2; 07-11-2004 at 08:37 AM.
DarknessTearv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:42 AM   #731
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Backtrack for a moment ~ "You just based it on your personal feelings on the game which is the sign of a weak reviewer." Hence the title of my section: "My personal ratings". Some games I just despise with a passion and I let everybody know it. You may disagree, but that's a part of it being an opinion. I'm not writing to appease you, believe me. If I give a game a 0, it should be fairly obvious that I don't like the game at all.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:07 AM   #732
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Considering you can get in, go to NetJak.com and check out how they blatantly ripped off the format for my Mega Man Anniversary Collection review.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:57 PM   #733
ninjakirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Considering you can get in, go to NetJak.com and check out how they blatantly ripped off the format for my Mega Man Anniversary Collection review.
This Account Has Been Suspended....
Old 07-15-2004, 04:36 PM   #734
Vert1
Banned

Icarus,tired of bad games?Why not pick Tales of Symphonia up?Although it's gonna take you a long time to beat to review it it's worth your money.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:08 PM   #735
Omnislash005
Yeaaaaaaaaaagh!

Lol According to vert TOS cures everything.You should be a gaming doctor.
Omnislash005 is offline   Reply With Quote