The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 07-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #1621
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Shouldn't everybody?

I can't stand playing the Punch-Out!! with Mr. Dream. Mike was probably incriminated by somebody who was jealous of his success in boxing and gaming, somebody who wanted to be in a game of his own. Someone like Ralph Macchio.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #1622
SuperAngelo64
They call me "Derek G. Wop"

Damn Macchio, running around all high and mighty acting like he's 'the best around'. Wonder who gave him that idea
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #1623
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yeah, so the site which I was using to host my images, FilePlanet.us, changed and my images are down. So much for that. :thumbdn:
Old 07-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #1624
Paper exe
Pwnd

Actually I envied your images yesterday night. Sorry Icarus I really didn't mean all this to happen nor did I expected it to happen.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:07 AM   #1625
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

What are you apologizing for? You don't own FilePlanet, do you?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:10 AM   #1626
Paper exe
Pwnd

You don't understand do you!? Ohh well you better off not knowing
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #1627
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

No, I understand perfectly. You were envying my reviews when suddenly they unexpectedly went down (due to FilePlanet, not I) and then your life was devastated.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #1628
Chronos
fuggit

Icarus I just read the first half of your ninja gaiden review. I would have given the game a perfect score, because (thinking objectively because it is one of my favorite games), it really stretches the xbox to the limit, and the only true fault is in the original was that the camera blew. This was fixed in black and was THE MAJOR ISSUE WITH THE ORIGINAL GAME, if you did your research. So why the downplay w/ your score? It just doesn't support the facts. I found the review to lack alot of depth.

Check MM of NGB, where there are literally dozens of hi res enemies on screen (Boss +4, EASY...2 large bosses OS at the same time, marbus +120 cats in MM).

In this game enemies circle you w/ intention to KILL. Look at DMC3 and the lack of creativity that went into normal enemy AI. Even on the harder difficulties I had no problem using trickster to avoid (sometimes one could just spam trickster and get by). Enemies stood motionless waiting for dante to fvck em up. NG departs from this in a huge way that you failed to hit on when you made the comparissons with DMC. Different "feel," cant compare.

If you gave NG a 8 you definetly, without doubt, should have given black a higher score, because they only improved with black, offering tons more content at a cheap price! And you gave this a lower score why? Slip up, IMPO. This was not a simple repackage w/ upgrade of the lunar bro, like you sort of centered your review on.

You never touched on the freeform combo aspect of the game, the guard canceling system, etc. You really missed alot in the both reviews. Central areas of the game as well. Did you even complete both games? Enemy AI was changed, flying swallow abuse was solved by giving enemies counters to it. *in the past newbs were getting thru NG exploiting the FS (flying swallow, y in air near enemy).

I mean, more things will come to me but GD sonny, you just shat on my baby.

How many hours do you have logged in NG and black combined? Based on the review i would guess not many. NGB is an aquired taste I guess.

Also, black is essentially two games in one, with story mode (almost same as original, like you said added lunar, etc, but you failed to hit on the dozens of other MORE SIGNIFICANT changes, such as said ability to self-charge w/no essence).

The second "game within a game" is mission mode, that's 50 GD missions that were not seen in the original game. (battle scenarios). reading your review makes me feel like you played the first couple chapters and started writing graphs.

Although I have to commend you on writing a review for the game at all. Being as deep as it is, it is of no surprise to me that your score is reflective of this attitude.

Your writing stands out as excellent, though please space your paragraphs so that speed readers like myself can quickly scan the screen. I read very quickly if there's paragraphs, however my eyes get lost in the endless reams of text.

It would mean I could read-scan reviews in seconds.

in sum, NGB: ability to charge a UT. Smoke bombs were also added to aid in enemy avoidance and UT charge, changing the ENTIRE SCORING SYSTEM, and what is possible in COMBAT, not story, which is not what NGB is about. This isnt a GD RPG.

I think you see where I am going. As an endgame NGB player with over 800 hours...what the hell?

Oh well that's why ninja gaiden retirement communities exist. (iberianwarrior.com, iberiansninjagaiden.com)

Ninja Gaiden 9/10

Ninja Gaiden Black 9.5/10

Last edited by Chronos; 09-07-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #1629
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Looks like someone gets a big hard on for Ninja Gaiden and doesn't like others who have different opinions than he does.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:47 AM   #1630
Ryan_Robert
Banned

lol, it's Joe Redifer.

Last edited by Ryan_Robert; 09-07-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Ryan_Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #1631
Chronos
fuggit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Looks like someone gets a big hard on for Ninja Gaiden and doesn't like others who have different opinions than he does.
It in no way affects my opinion towards the reviewer, just the review itself.

Hey, if out of all of his reviews I can only comment negatively toward one (NGB), then it's not so bad.

Last edited by Chronos; 09-07-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #1632
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I haven't played NG nor NGB in so long, I don't remember a lot of details, but I'll be as accurate as I can.

I never had much of an issue with the camera in the first NG since I could work around it by mastering how to control the camera as I saw fit. Therefore, when I went into NGB I didn't think much of it since both worked for me. You say my reviews lacked a lot of depth. Well, my purpose wasn't to describe every single aspect of every game -- that's what game manuals and strategy guides are for.

I'm not sure why you're using DMC3 for comparisons. After all, that game sucked hardcore. For myself NGB felt like a repackaging of the original with a few additions and mission mode, making it essentially a revamp. From what I remember, it was NG with all the expansion packs (*note* I never used the expansion packs for NG, so I cannot say with 100% accuracy). Of course I beat both versions.

It's obvious that you're into NG as much as I am into Street Fighter III with hundreds of hours of playtime, and yet I still criticized SFIII for various reasons. Why? As a (former) reviewer I feel it is important to stress what I perceive are genuine flaws with a product. I gave some Zelda games a perfect 10 even though I play SFIII more. SFIII has more replayability. If all I were rating was the funfactor then SFIII would smoke just about everything. Personal preference. Indeed, personal ratings. And yet I have to take everything into consideration. Case in point: NGB. I personally could care less about a few added--you might say "fixed"--gameplay elements or an added mission mode because, really, it's the same game. Some people may love this (yourself, the NG community) but that doesn't mean that I have to. Just because a game is challenging doesn't mean it has tremendous depth.

NGB came out about a year later than the original and supposedly fixed this and that. Is that a good thing? I don't think it is. If you're going to complete a game, make sure it's complete the first go-round. If Team Ninja added all new stages or dramatically altered the game (e.g. Resident Evil for PS > Resident Evil for GC) then it might've been another story. With a fighting game like SFIII a re-release is more forgivable when it incorporates all new characters, stages and backgrounds, because it feels new that way. I could go on and on but I'm hoping you see my point.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #1633
Chronos
fuggit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
I haven't played NG nor NGB in so long, I don't remember a lot of details, but I'll be as accurate as I can.

I never had much of an issue with the camera in the first NG since I could work around it by mastering how to control the camera as I saw fit. Therefore, when I went into NGB I didn't think much of it since both worked for me. You say my reviews lacked a lot of depth. Well, my purpose wasn't to describe every single aspect of every game -- that's what game manuals and strategy guides are for.

I'm not sure why you're using DMC3 for comparisons. After all, that game sucked hardcore. For myself NGB felt like a repackaging of the original with a few additions and mission mode, making it essentially a revamp. From what I remember, it was NG with all the expansion packs (*note* I never used the expansion packs for NG, so I cannot say with 100% accuracy). Of course I beat both versions.

It's obvious that you're into NG as much as I am into Street Fighter III with hundreds of hours of playtime, and yet I still criticized SFIII for various reasons. Why? As a (former) reviewer I feel it is important to stress what I perceive are genuine flaws with a product. I gave some Zelda games a perfect 10 even though I play SFIII more. SFIII has more replayability. If all I were rating was the funfactor then SFIII would smoke just about everything. Personal preference. Indeed, personal ratings. And yet I have to take everything into consideration. Case in point: NGB. I personally could care less about a few added--you might say "fixed"--gameplay elements or an added mission mode because, really, it's the same game. Some people may love this (yourself, the NG community) but that doesn't mean that I have to. Just because a game is challenging doesn't mean it has tremendous depth.

NGB came out about a year later than the original and supposedly fixed this and that. Is that a good thing? I don't think it is. If you're going to complete a game, make sure it's complete the first go-round. If Team Ninja added all new stages or dramatically altered the game (e.g. Resident Evil for PS > Resident Evil for GC) then it might've been another story. With a fighting game like SFIII a re-release is more forgivable when it incorporates all new characters, stages and backgrounds, because it feels new that way. I could go on and on but I'm hoping you see my point.

Thanks for reading.
It's all good.

Paragraphs rock and roll. Honestly my above post seems inflamatory, which is not intended.

@DMC3, you made the comparisson as well, but I was just illustrating how the combat is different.

@NGB not having enough content. For the casual NG player I understand. However this is not why NGB was created. NGB was created simply for NG diehards who would put 100s of hours into it (like me). The casual gamer could/would not finish NG story mode due to the difficulty (even on norm or ninja dog, which was also a new mode of play intro'd with black).

It was a revamp as you said...a significant revamp.

I tend to look at Ng versus black as two different games completely. Personally I preferred the original due to the increased difficulty/time limits of story mode.

@the camera: This was the no. 1 concern/complaint, ie general concensus of what needed an immediate update. NG is a game where Ryu can get juggled to death if you get a bad enemy AI algorythm roll. If the camera is being blocked by say, a wall, in the original there was no way to get out of this blind position short of using right trigger to auto center, which usually resulted in ryu getting mauled in the blind-frames. TN addressed this almost as soon as the game came out via interviews, and gave the first hint of "black" by saying something to the effect of "we will be releasing a flagship version of NG with adtl content in the coming months, in this version the camera issues are already addressed." what they did is allow by clicking in the right stick a way to manually pan the camera angle.

Missions are fun man! 50 new "levels" is not enough new content?

@Game manuals: they can never cover a game in depth, nor are they supposed to. Think SF and the fact that only 3 moves and 1 super are given per char in the game manuals, and guides will only get one so far.

I think your review is positive because it truthfully reflects your opinions, and that's what a good unbiased review is supposed to do. It's not like you slammed either game, anyway.

Oh, and SF 3 is one of my favs also, however my favorite SF game of all time is alpha 3. V-style, ground stomp, HK, repeat! motherfu**ers

Last edited by Chronos; 09-07-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #1634
Dracula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
No, just Photoshop.
-------------------------------------
I dont see any review? I did not see the previous one either? Did they remove your file, or did you move it to somewhere else?
Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #1635
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

Quote:
As a (former) reviewer I feel it is important to stress what I perceive are genuine flaws with a product.
Did I miss the memo?
tpfkanep is offline   Reply With Quote