The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Building a pc for $1,927.00 killer PC help

i wonna construct a killer PC for 1,927.00

what are the best componants, and all the componants i will need for a dream PC?

512 ati graphics card
2-400 gb ram
3.6 gighrz processor preferably AMD
high speed mechanical drives
high spec mother board
highly attractive neon case.
17- 19" tft monitor flatpanal.
5.1 dolby digital surround sound and setup
1024 mb ram- 2048 mb ram

yeah i know its messy right now but i need to refine this list to take to the PC fair on sunday,
Is that everything?? or am i missing things?

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Okay, even with pretty much the best stuff, you're at 1000.

What are you gonna spend the other 900 on?

www.pricewatch.com
www.newegg.com
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
ovejon

wow that is a good price to start with
I would go with an sli system just becuase an ati with 512MB isnt out yet.

this is what i would choose at this very moment:
cpu- AMD FX (this baby cost $700+ so I think this is out of the question lol) or 64
mobo - SLI ready mobo so that you can slap in two nvidia video card and run them parrallel to each other
GFX - 2 nvidia geforce 6800 gt 256 MB.
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

First there isnt a 3.6ghz AMD processor that i can name.
You might be thinking of an AMD 64 3600+ which runs much better then a Pentium 4 3.6ghz, but runs around the $500 mark. Make sure u get the 939 spcket, ull see why.
Asus SLI Deluxe Mobo $200
Seeing as there is no "affordable" 512 graphics card (i doubt Ai Has one, but i know one company was selling one fore around $1,200) id recomend 2 times 6600gt for your price range (about $400 total) Though u may opt for 2 times 6800gt (for 512mb) running at about $500 each (PCI Express x 16 mind you) Second, id recomend 2 time 1gb sticks ($320 or so total) so u can run 2 gigs dual channeled.
You are also going to need a 24 socket E-ATX power supply with at least 400 watts (about $100 give or take a few) and a new case of your choice.

Dunno how much that goes over your suggested price (too lazy to add) but thats about as close as i could get to the specs you wanted. BTW, shop at newegg.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:17 AM   #5
Alucard

What Mistatee said. Focus on the board, cpu, ram, and video cards first and ignore the rest for the moment. 2 geforce 6800GT 256mb in SLI on that excellent Asus board and you're set. The 6600 is nice, but would be underpowered for a system of that expense. When you're buying ram you want to make sure the latency is VERY low. Dont just buy it because it says 'low latency'. It'll be like 2.5.2.2 which is standard low. You want to get the super low stuff. I'd give you more info on that but I never bother to remember the figures since the place you buy them will know it and its the one thing I'm comfortable in not bothering to know about.

Grab the AMD 64 3800+, Asus SLI Deluxe board, 2x 6800GT 256mb OR 2x X800XL/XT 256mb, and dual 1gig sticks. Whatever you have left over form that, knock yourself out with. Dont even bother with the 17" TFT screens. Waste of money. And for the love of god, brand means a BIG thing when it comes to monitors and speaker systems.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:18 AM   #6
gearhound
Versus the World

everytime i price a PC i always end up in the $1200 range...
Old 03-18-2005, 02:55 AM   #7
Alucard

You must be going for a total beast then.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:13 AM   #8
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

While were at it........

I'm looking to build a good video-editing PC....but my budget right now is only $600. I suppose that a good video-editing PC is more about sheer bandwidth/space/memory than sheer processing power, so it's kind of a different philosophy on computer-building. Also, I'm definitely not big on PC gaming, so the crazy expensive video cards really don't interest me.

I'm looking for something that has loads of HD space and ram, and no bottlenecks to slow any massive data operations down. HD and Ram is what I want to funnel a lot of the budget into. $600 probably wont get me too far, so I'm looking for a motherboard that can really be upgraded over time. I've been looking into AMD 939 (because it seems to be the next big thing), but AMD has typically been more for games than apps. Can anybody help?

P.S. - My computer is a 450 Mhz relic. I need a new computer already.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #9
Alucard

For $600 forget it. A gaming machine is cheaper then a video editing machine. Ofcourse that statement will only hold up depending on the exact use you will be using. Best I can recommend is a zillion megs of ram for starters. Possibly 3gig. Like I said, I really cant give too much advice without knowing how hardcore you are in this sort of field. Like if its for fun or if its for huge amounts of paying work type thing.

Also if you play console games and you arent interested in PC games, your 450mhz is the reason you arent interested. Like asking a PC user who owns an snes why he doesnt play console games.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:04 PM   #10
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

no, it's not for any sort of paying work, but it's a bit more frequent than "for fun", so I'm not sure if a gaming PC could moonlight as an editing station. i know that $600 isn't much, but it can at least get a good start on the system, the key being that I can expand it over time. I can get 1GB of ram to start with, and then add more GBs later. Let's say $600 is the starting budget.

I guess my real question is if the current line of AMD motherboards with socket 939 and no DDR2 are here to stay for a while or if there are better motherboards coming out soon with newer technologies.

also, the 450 mhz/snes thing could go both ways. Maybe I haven't bothered upgrading because I don't care about PC games these days? I don't really like FPS games, and MMORPGs are pretty demanding to keep up with. So that already removes a good 2/3s of the PC gaming category. And as far as I know, the best RTS is still Starcraft, which my PC runs just fine. Maybe that PC gamer hasn't bothered going past SNES because he didn't care about console games past the 16-bit era (something that's even typical of a few console gamers). I mostly use my PC for internet and music. Now that I'm getting into more heavy-duty apps, I am really feeling the need to upgrade.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #11
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Id recomend Pentium 4 for Vidoe-editing (if u like windows alot)
If not get a Mac.

The new LGA-775 Pentium 4 has MoBos that support DDR2, and id recomend that, and atleast 1gb of it, though 2gb DDR2 for viedo-editing is probally needed. Also, Maxtor for the HDD. Past 250gb i think Maxtor is easily the best. And use SATA not ATA,.

With video-editing you want to focus on Speed, Fast Processor (2.8ghz HT +) fast memory (DDR2 is 3gb/sec) a mobo that supports both (Which is why u would want an LGA775 board.) And alot of Hardrive room. A decent graphics card wouldnt hurt either, id recomen just a simple 9800pro, maybe an ATI All-In-Wonder if ur recording from TV to edit.

The problem is, the parts i listed a for about a $1000-$1300 machine....
Old 03-18-2005, 05:00 PM   #12
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
You must be going for a total beast then.
nah, not really
Old 03-18-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
Alucard

To think FPS and MMORPG make up 2/3 of the PC library is a little silly. Theres more genres ont he PC then the console. Friend of mine who was a total console who never bothered with PCs untill he was finally hassled into upgrading his P.O.S, and now most of the time he's using the PC.

I'd also recommend a P4 for video editing. AMD is king of gaming.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:26 AM   #14
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
What Mistatee said. Focus on the board, cpu, ram, and video cards first and ignore the rest for the moment. 2 geforce 6800GT 256mb in SLI on that excellent Asus board and you're set. The 6600 is nice, but would be underpowered for a system of that expense. When you're buying ram you want to make sure the latency is VERY low. Dont just buy it because it says 'low latency'. It'll be like 2.5.2.2 which is standard low. You want to get the super low stuff. I'd give you more info on that but I never bother to remember the figures since the place you buy them will know it and its the one thing I'm comfortable in not bothering to know about.

Grab the AMD 64 3800+, Asus SLI Deluxe board, 2x 6800GT 256mb OR 2x X800XL/XT 256mb, and dual 1gig sticks. Whatever you have left over form that, knock yourself out with. Dont even bother with the 17" TFT screens. Waste of money. And for the love of god, brand means a BIG thing when it comes to monitors and speaker systems.
so far for some reason this sounds the best so far!

the only thing is that i want it to be a killer gaming/video editing PC, dvd ripping, internet editing no slowdown when youve got 300gb of harddisk and mega memory- but at the fastest possible speeds and bandwidth,

this thing i want to run at least five high-pro editing softwares simultaneously thats gonna demand alot of juice.

i'll be going down to the electronic's mecca at tottenham court road today, i've gotta be decided by tommorow what i want when ive found the parts at the computer fair, and execute operation killer PC next week, i'll then have time to tweak the list- but for now i need to find out what i can get my hands on,

thanks for all the suggestions, i'll be looking out for all the stuff you mentioned plus the mobo's.

whats left i'll blow on peripherals and games.

damn i'm actually getting excited now as ive got a better idea of how to put it together, man this pc gonna be ultimate.

FS2

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:35 AM   #15
manji72

Option 1:

CPU - $152.99 AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor

Mobo - $87.00 CHAINTECH NVIDIA nForce4 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU, Model "VNF4" the video is PCI-E
or
$102.00 SOLTEK "SL-K8TPro-939" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU the video is AGPx8

RAM - 2X$132.50 PQI POWER Series 184-Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200, Model MD441GUOE

Video Card (depends on the mobo your going for) - $374.00 eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "256-A8-N344-AX"
or
$374.00 eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, Dual DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "256-P2-N376-AX"

Option 2 (if you are serious on what your gonna spend):

$749.00 - AMD Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor 939 Pin

$112.00 ABIT "AX8" VIA K8T890 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU with Guru Tech

2X$132.50 PQI POWER Series 184-Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200, Model MD441GUOE

$539.00 Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, TV-Out/Dual DVI, PCI-E, Model "GV-NX68U256D"

Those would be options if it were me. HDD and sound cards were not included so you decide what you want. Those are all newegg prices so.
manji72 is offline   Reply With Quote