The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 07-08-2005, 04:56 AM   #106
mxpx
Metroid jolt

talking of the ds's potential when are these games comingout that respond to your voce alone, like if you said go forward it would!

The ds's needs these games to come out quick. :cool guy:
Old 07-08-2005, 06:39 AM   #107
Paper exe
Pwnd

I hope not, because it will be very embarrassing and it will not hear me correctly like Mario Party 6 and you cannot play the Japan version in that way etc. etc.
In short it will have a lot of problems.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #108
Paper exe
Pwnd

Haunting Ground~PS2-Exploring

I own so many PS2 games, the last time I count them they were about 60 games, they are catching up with GBA, therefore I will review this game, which I beat it just now.
I did go to GameFAQ three times, but they all don't count. The first time was because I miss understood what the hint said, because English is not my first Language and I read it fast. The second time, I knew how, only that I thought the thing was already broken, so it was Capcom problem, because they did not give that thing enough details. The third time, I knew how and I did try it a lot of times, but it didn?t work, then when I read the guide, it turned out that I was right, so I tried it until it worked and beat the last boss, maybe it was some kind of bug, which again the developer get the blame, therefore I can say and it is true that I beat the game with out any help.

You play as a Girl with her dog in a huge castle, trying to escape from it by getting the key, which is hidden in the castle. Why not burn the wooden gate and run away, instead of getting the key? This just makes no sense, especially because of the fact that there are a lot of candles in the castle. why not use one?

You just have to search for hints and clues and solve puzzles to go further in to the game, but meanwhile there is some one chasing you and search for you, trying to kill you. When he/she finds you, you most ran away and hide from him/her, or He/she will kill you. Don't worry the enemy sometimes stand for no reason and do nothing, so that you have the chance to run away. The enemy will chase you until you hide from him/her, so you better hide in a hidden place, they can be found anywhere, like under the bed or in side of something etc. if you use it too much the enemy will find you. This will force you to hide in different places, which is a good thing and also means that I rarely use it. I mostly hide by going behind something and then crunch, in that way you can see what the enemy doing and where he/she went.

You can attack the enemy if you kicked him, which can also be used to open some door quickly and solve some puzzles and break weird jars to get items. I only start using items when I was fighting the final boss. Well, the only reason I used them was because it was the last boss and all of these will be gone after I beat him. To top it all, I only used recovery items.
I forgot to use attacks items. They can be used to stun enemies.

In every stage there is only one enemy that chasing you and he/she don't die, just get stunned. In the end of every stage you will fight him/her. You most think of a way to kill him in that time. There are also some enemies that die just after touching Fiona, they just higher the Panic meter, so that the enemy can catch you easer and then kill you.
Note that kicking the enemy is a bad idea and kind of useless and mean less. You most hit the enemy a lot of times to stun him and if you did try to do that you will be long time died, even with the dog help, so hiding is the best way. The enemy will not die no mater how many hit you hit him, so why make a risk?

There is stamina and panic, both Stamina and Panic, aren't shown in the game screen. Meaning you cannot see any of these meters, you just know if Fiona is normal.
Stamina reduces slowly, if you run and/or kicked, and greatly if you back step (I never try it) and/or tackle (I did also never try it). When the stamina get very low, Fiona cannot do any thing that reduce stamina and she will get very slow, but if you stand stall, she will recover slowly and if you are hiding, she will recover quickly. Really, it doesn?t take too long, even if you are not in a hidden area.
Panic happened when the enemy made a loud voice and/or hit her, then Fiona get scared and the Panic meter will get higher, when this happen the view will not be clear enough, and if it reaches very high, she will get insane and run very fast by her self and she would be hard to control and if she hit the wall, she will fall down and become defenseless, you most press all the buttons to make her stand faster, if the enemy hit you when she is like that, she will die. Panic meter dose also recover slowly by time and quickly if you are hiding.

The movement is not bad like RE. She moves normally, you can use either the analog or D pad to move, but the analog stick is more comfortable in my opinion. (I pointed out this, because there is a weird member here that says, he only buy a PS2 game if it let you choose either D pad or analog stick for movement.)
You can run by holding X and move, but if the enemy is close to you, he will know your location.

Finally, the Dog control. You can praise and scold the Dog, depend on his actions, if he did something good praise him, if he refuses to obey you then scold him. You can let him site for some amount of time, but he will move after some seconds. You can also call him and let him search for items. This is not a good think, because if you want to get all the items in the game, you most let the dog search every area in the game, at lest two times in a small room and a lot of times in a big one. A lot of the area that items hidden in them that needs the dog to find them after commanding him are not suspicious, which make it harder for you to search for them and take a lot of time.
The Dog can also bit an enemy to stun him and give you a chance to run a way, but if the dog vitality is zero, he will faint (Never happened to me)
The Dog vitality decreases after every hit from an enemy. Duh
You can use an item to recover it (Never used any)
The dog does annoy me from time to time by not obeying me, or when he gets lost. At lest he is cute.
I think there is a bug in the game. When I order him to go in side a small hole, he search for items instead (same button) that really annoy me, because you cannot tell if the dog can really go in side it or it was just the bug. Sometimes you need to go in front of it and then crouch to make the dog go inside.
If you are in an area the Dog cannot reach you, he will start barking very loud and the enemy will know your place and find you, so don?t let him alone or the dog will get his revenge.
If you are wondering. You use the right Analog stick to make Dog commands.

There are a lot of rooms to explore, but you cannot examine everything, only few stuff and it is a shame. One of the good features about the game is that there are only loading when you start the game or when a cut scan happen and they are very short especially the cut scan one, meaning you can go from an area to the other with out any loading, if there is loading other then the once that I mentioned, then I did not notice it, so it is still a good thing.
The hints that they give you are very helpful and ruin a lot of puzzle, they should have make harder and better hints, at lest there are some good once that toke me time to figure it out.

There are a lot of unlockables and there are some cut scan that you can discover, which you can beat the game with out even seeing them, and there are some secret unlockable modes as will, and 4 types of ending, which give it a high reply value. I am now in the second walk through and it is still as scary as the first time if not more, because of that obvious unlockable mode that we all know what it is, and how to unlock it.

In my opinion it is scarier then RE, because of the fact that you can only run and the enemy cannot die, and he/she suddenly appear when you are not expecting it.

The music fit the game and gives the game a scary atmosphere, but they could have done better on some of the music like the ending and on the title screen and even when the enemy finds you. The musics are no way good and they are also unoriginal, most of them are taking from something with little changes. I know it is hard to believe, but it is from the same company that made the NES Rockman games.
I don?t have anything against the sound effect, in fact I think it is pretty good and done the job right.
The voices are good, I only hated any male that has Bill in his name voice, they just feel out of place.

The game look pretty good in my eyes, compare to other PS2 games. It dose have very good animation and a lot of details and you can even see the shadows of every object in the game. The game is dark and has realistic graphics.
You have no control over the camera, but it is still in a good and far place to hide the graphics problems. In some cut scan, they make the camera close to the object and boy the dog model dose have a lot of problems and the wall and floors are very ugly as well, but this is not notable during game play, because the camera have it distends to make them look good or at lest expectable.

Gameplay (6/10)
Graphices (7/10)
Sound (7/10)
Length (7/10)
Haunting Ground (27/40)

Here my score from the first time walk through.
Ending A: Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Time 12:59:28 (meaning, I beat it on only 12 hours )
Dog Level A
Panic 7
Item 68%
Critical Hewie (Dog name) Injuries 0
Enemies Defeated 2
Type Top Breeder (So much for a top breeder that has dozen of dog food, that he didn?t give his dog any one of them)

Last edited by Paper exe; 09-26-2005 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:09 AM   #109
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
The enemy will chase you until you hide from him/her, so you better hide in a hiding place...
Can I use this as my sig? Thanks, babe.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:13 AM   #110
Paper exe
Pwnd

....................................OMG. :yikes:
"fixed"

Yes Icarus, use it as much as you want.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #111
Paper exe
Pwnd

Good of Wars~PS2-Advanture

I think you knew that I was going to review this game, right Sinful Sam?
The thing that I hated about this game was the naked woman and the insults to God, which somewhat ruin the game experience for me. Don?t worry, I call it good of wars, so no insult in my reviews or in any of my posts.
I kind of hate the idea that enemies are taking from other people ideas, but they did redesign them to be more original. They also used little kind of enemies; they just reuse the same kind of enemies but with a little difference, more powerful and with more moves.
This game do lack boss battles, thought, there are very few, which is a disappointment.
One thing was in my mind in the game and it was that they made Hedas (AKA devil) as something that sinful to say, really the one that told those Greeks this was obvious who.
What with the Olumpus thing? That was also meant to be something to get money from people of some sort. Thanks God this religion died.

It is an Adventure game, which let you make all kind of adventurers stuff, like swing from vines to another and climb and walk on a narrow areas and swimming and riding a ladder with out someone holding it etc.
This game has some exploring as well. You can find hidden Eyes and Fathers. Get six eyes and your health will increase by one meter and get six Fathers to increase the magic meter one level. Keep in mind that you cannot return to most areas that you visited, so if you missed something it is gone.
You can beat the game with out them, but they are still needed to make the game easier.
At the beginning, you will mostly find these eyes, but then you will get mostly fathers, which is a good thing, because at the beginning, health is needed a lot more then magic.

There are some few puzzles in the game, they didn't toke me time to finish them, but I still don?t think that they are that easy or bad.
And some platforming, well I didn?t face any real challenges in the platforming part.
Fighting enemies is what you will mostly do in the game. Like what I said there aren't any boss, just few of them, which makes the first level misleading and give the player a wrong idea about the game.
Unlike a lot of games (Dynasty Warriors) it is not all about pressing a button or two. Enemies, actually has some different moves and can hit you well you are hitting them (Depends on the situation and how many HP left etc) Also, when you knock an enemy out, he don't just stand and wait for you to hit him he actually counter attack, which force you to go away from the enemy and not repeatedly press the buttons until he dies.
Enemies get stronger and learn more moves and there design changes a little pit when you go further in to the game, which doesn?t make the player get board fighting the same enemies in the game over and over again. At first they are hard, but after you fight them a lot, they wouldn't be as hard and you will get shocked how those easy enemies could ever do so much damage to you back then.

The hero, has a lot of moves and can learn more by powering him up, using the red stuff (AKA Experience points), which you can get them by finding a hidden chest that has them and by killing enemies and by doing combos. Your weapon can hit a lot of enemies at once, which make the game pretty fun to play, but still isn't easy, because you have to use your moves and find, which move works the best to those enemies. There are only two weapons. The weak and long rang one and the strong, but close rank. Changing between both is very annoying, because you have to press both L1 and R1 and that means, you may do a different move instead.
The other thing that annoyed me about the game was that when I guard then I want to quickly attack and run, I do another slow move instead, which is very annoying, because I get attacked a lot if this happened. They could at lest let the guard and light attack button, make a quick light attack move or something, I don't want to be defenseless in the middle of a battle.

Most of the attacks need some time to be performed that means you will be defenseless in that time and cannot doge or guard against enemies attacks.
Dodging can be perfumed by the right analog stick. I think it is a very good idea and let you doge easer, but keep in mind that there are only left, right, down and up, you cannot doge on any different direction. (The hero just moves on that direction and goes far away from the enemy)
Note that you cannot control how far away he will go, he will just go very far and that's all. It is not like this is such a problem. Your attacks can reach very far and the hero is fast, so no problem there.

Magic, like most games is useless, I rarely use it. They also finish very quickly and you can hardly fight an enemy that drops blue stuff (Stuff that restores magic a little pit)
Changing magic is by pressing any direction of the D-pad, each direction has a magic. Yes that means there are only 4, but it is not like they would make such a difference or it is a bad thing.
Finally, the basic stuff like double jumping and holding and throwing enemies. You can only hold and throw some few enemies, but you wouldn't see any if you are far in the game. Those strong enemies can only be hold when there HP get low, but sometimes it needs you to press the buttons that will appear on the screen and sometimes you most make a half and full circles, using the left Analog stick (I know, it dose need time to get used to it) and some needs you to rapidly press Circle button. I think this one is lame and dose hurt my hand. If you did any of these stuff some type of enemies will give you green stuff (Stuff that recover HP a little pit) and some give blue stuff and some give you both.
You can make heavy and/or light attacks, no need to explain the difference, because it is just obvious.
The game is also fast.
overall, the battle system is pretty good and not repeative like a lot of other games.

There is a mode, which you can unlock awesome stuff like seeing deleted levels and tell you a lot of things about what Good of War supposed to be etc.
This game is kind of short, because I beat it in normal with level 100 in only 11 hours and half. At lest that add to the replay value. (Note that the max level is 20)
This game did piss me off from time to time, but I still think that I can beat very hard, but I may fail, so I better off not knowing. I am ok as long as I think that I can do it.

The sound effect and music are high quality. I noticed that there are somethings with no sound effects, thought.
I guess they forgot about them. It is not like they will make much a difference.
The music are clear and all, but unoriginal and aren?t good at all. But dose fit the game. The music fit more for a movie then a game.
The music just goes against gaming rules. I am still asking for good music now and for ever, even if most of them don?t care anymore.

This game done a great job with Graphics, pretty good animation and a lot of details and good effects and good looking 3D realistic game, what can you ask more then that?
in a far away area in the game, I saw a blue weird dot in the background, I think it was some kind of a mistake.

Oops, I forgot about the rage of good, which makes you very strong for some seconds (Never used it )
It regain slowly if you hit enemies.

Gameplay (8/10)
Graphics (9/10)
Sound (7/10)
Length (7/10)
Good of Wars (31/40)

Last edited by Paper exe; 09-06-2005 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:48 PM   #112
George Foreman

Hay Paper, you should try Good Mode. I got my butt kicked so much I almost cried. In the Challenge of the Goods the Anubis's can kill you in a couple combos.
George Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:03 AM   #113
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

Good Good!
tpfkanep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #114
Freeman

Paper it's God of War there's no need to suck it up & say 'Good of Wars'. Wars are NOT good!
...plus check ur grammer man I'm havin' a hard time readin' it X_X.
BTW refresh my memory what fighting games have u reviewed?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:01 AM   #115
Paper exe
Pwnd

Good of Wars is just a name. There are a lot of games that has mean less names like Good of Wars.
Freeman you should understand that you shouldn't say such a thing even if it was just a name. I may sound joking, but that doesn?t mean that I would ever name it in that name.

Fighting reviews are coming sooner or later.

Quote:
plus check ur grammer man I'm havin' a hard time readin' it X_X.
Really?
Some say my grammars are a lot better then before.

Freeman, I think you are mad today or something, maybe because I didn't give it as high as you wanted. I do give a lot of games low. this game is the second highest game that I reviewed.
I am a huge Megaman fan, which affect my Wily Wars review a lot.
This game dose have problems and I can back up my score for it, but you should still keep in mind that my opinion dose effect my reviews and we all have different opinions.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:42 AM   #116
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
Freeman, I think you are mad today or something, maybe because I didn't give it as high as you wanted. I do give a lot of games low. this game is the second highest game that I reviewed.
I am a huge Megaman fan, which affect my Wily Wars review a lot.
This game dose have problems and I can back up my score for it, but you should still keep in mind that my opinion dose effect my reviews and we all have different opinions.
No I wasn't mad it's just that I expect a good clear writing when I read reviews that's all . The score ain't got nothin' to do with it, unless of course u were to be reviewing SNK games....
Old 08-01-2005, 10:10 AM   #117
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Paper can u review Lunar 1 and 2, i am trying to decide if i should play them both agan for the 10th time... It would also put you in a good mood for new Lunar DS!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #118
Paper exe
Pwnd

I don?t own Lunar 1 or 2.
I cannot believe that I missed these two great games. If they just release it in my country.
I blame all the shops in my country for refusing to release it even after the 100 times that I order it.

I know. you all feel sorry for little old me.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #119
Nem
Smash bro!

Cant you just import copies from some US online shop? Theres also a less "legal" way to do it by downloading it from the internet and burning your own copy. Since the game wasnt released outside US and japan its not like it matters for the publishers. I have this terrible preconception that something bad happens to you in your country if someone discovers you did that though
By the way Paper, fix the header of your "God of War" review you wrote "Good of Wars".

OMG! Mistatee your sig is soooo true

Last edited by Nem; 08-01-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:34 AM   #120
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Cant you just import copies from some US online shop? Theres also a less "legal" way to do it by downloading it from the internet and burning your own copy. Since the game wasnt released outside US and japan its not like it matters for the publishers.
Doing this have 50% of my money being stolen. That would be a huge risk. Overall I still cannot do it, maybe in the future but I cannot now. I did already explaned why in a lot of times.

Quote:
By the way Paper, fix the header of your "God of War" review you wrote "Good of Wars".
No, no, no, the maker and everyone in the world actually made a typo and called it that name, it is actually Good of War.