The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-24-2005, 05:44 PM   #136
Paper exe
Pwnd

Kirby's Block Ball~GB-Block Ball

Here's your Kirby review freeman. First of all I will like to say that this is my first review that has pictures I toke by my self in it! I will post 4 pictures in this review, so that the Mod Joe cannot say that I ripped off his idea! (Which I did not)
Knowing that each member either support it or said nothing shows that they think the pictures that I toke are fantastic and they don't mind it not being in a high quality one pit. (This is really the best I could do, thought)
Kirby have had a lot of games and this is one of the five Original GB games. It is a block ball game, but still one of the best.
Because of the fact that this genre already died or companies rarely make games in that genre, made this game value go sky rocket!

Unlike other games in the same genre, this game don't have very similar stages neither it is as hard as these other games. Thinking about it, games like this make me thankful that Kirby games are made to be applied to all people. I, like a lot of people don't like this genre and do think that most of the games are too repetitive and fast for us. This game fixes both problems: For one, Kirby (in other word the ball) is slow, so that you can keep track of it and be more applying to people. Second, each level is different. I cannot say that they are perfect, but done the job right. The game control is easy, the trampoline may be small, but you can still manipulate the ball easily.
Another good part about the game is that there are no time limits!

This picture may not be in good quality, but I still think that guy coolness made this picture deserves to be posted!

This game is simply about having to manipulate the ball using a platform to make the ball hit all blocks to destroy them all. It is kind of like pinball, but with more depth and more enjoyable and have more room for improvement and less famous!
This game replaces a silver ball or a fire ball to a pink guy and replaces an Air Ship or a platform to a trampoline!
The goal is to destroy all the blocks in the screen to go to the next level. There are some different kind of blocks like white, gray, metal, small, big, and wide to destroy, some need two hits and some get destroyed just after being hit!
This game unlike other has two trampolines, one is up and the other is down and on some levels there are two extra trampolines, one on the left and the other on the right. Pressing left and right controls the down and up trampolines and Up/down controls the side ways trampolines.
If you press A button all the trampolines will be a little bigger for a second. If you timed the landing right, Kirby will be bigger and faster and can destroy blocks by one hit and also destroy metal blocks. (Don't worry a 6 year old can easily time it right)
Off course there are copy abilities, they are very well though of, but there are only four of them. Just touch the enemy and he will die and you will get his ability. Some enemies don't have any abilities, instead they drop food (Score) or an item. Note that Food and items will disappear after a while if you did not take them fast.
There are hidden stars in parts of the stages, if you found them and then ride them you can chose to play one of the four mini games. They aren't easy that for sure. You can get from 0 to 3 lives there. Note that the lives are only useful in the stage where you got them, because after finishing it the extra lives will be like extra score, which means your lives will still be 4 in the next stage!

This is how Stage 4-3 originally looks! I think this picture that I toke is clear enough. I am very proud of my talent!

In the final part of the stage, you need to kill the enemy then he will drop a star then that star will send you to the boss of the stage. The Boss battle is very fun each one of them is unique and challenging. If your trampoline got hitting in the boss fight it will turn in to a tiny star!
There are 10 in good size stages and in the end of each one of them you have to beat the boss. The game get more challenging and more stuff get introduced in each level like a new item or new copy ability. That made the game has a lot of variety.
You can only see the complete ending after bricking the high score in each stage and that is the only side quest in the game. Being for the GB it is a bliss that it actually has something to do other then finishing the game or getting a high scores that has nothing to do other then having your name on the left!

It is strange when playing this game on GBC, GBA etc the colors looks somewhat right. Note Kirby and the background colors are perfectly right. Most games mostly end up with random colors.

The sprites like what you can see in the pictures looks great and with a lot of details. The animations are good for a GB game. The backgrounds in all stages are plan white, only boss fights have different background. Why not use the different Boss background in each stage? Anything is surly better then nothing.
The sound effect is the same old traditional Kirby sound effect, which is charming and nice. The quality is good.
The Soundtrack is like what expected from any Kirby game. Happy and cheerful music, it fit just right in the game and there are some nice tones and the other music isn?t bad either.
Just to clear something up. The game difficulty is Medium, it isn't easy or hard.

Each time you beat a boss, a start will send you to a dancing stage just so that Kirby and his brothers dances. After finishing dancing, a star will come back to return Kirby to the world map.o_0

Gameplay (7/10)
Graphics (7/10)
Sound (8/10)
Length (7/10)
Kirby's Block Ball (29/40)

Last edited by Paper exe; 11-06-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #137
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Alright Paper, good review! I like the pics, too. How are you taking those pics?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:16 AM   #138
Freeman

Nice review Paper, HOWEVER! If you wish to use images for your reviews I would advice using Photoshop to reduce their size since they keep the try to keep the quality as good as they can, how do you think I resized some of my avs & they still managed to have at least 99% quality?
BTW Paper did you take those pics with a camera?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:50 AM   #139
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The size of Paper's pics are perfectly fine. The file size is very small and they aren't so big in physical size as to be obtrusive.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:06 AM   #140
Paper exe
Pwnd

Freeman, if it not going to change the original look of the picture then I am better off using paint. It dose look clearer then the original picture.

I am not trying to be rude and I apologies if I did, but if I told anyone how I toke it, the charming will go and you will start noticing problems that you wouldn?t originally notice, so I have to keep that to my self.
I appreciate both complements.

Last edited by Paper exe; 10-25-2005 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:21 AM   #141
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
Freeman, if it not going to change the original look of the picture then I am better off using paint. It dose look clearer then the original picture.

I am not trying to be rude and I apologies if I did, but if I told anyone how I toke it, the charming will go and you will start noticing problems that you wouldn?t originally notice, so I have to keep that to my self.
I appreciate both complements.
Suit you bro, cuz they look like you captured those images in a dark room.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #142
Paper exe
Pwnd

If I take a shot of it, the brighter it is the more unclear the picture be, but I will still try to find a way to make it clear and in the same time less dark.
Freeman, do you want me to review more Kirby games or that one was enough?
To anyone, if you have any requests just name it, but I will ignore it if you named dozen of random games like what some members did to an old reviewer and made him retire reviewing.

Last edited by Paper exe; 10-25-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 PM   #143
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Good review Paper! I love......LOVE that game. That was/is one of my favorite GB games. The music is really well done and has some good tunes that I find myself humming them after I've played the game for a while. Have you played Kirby's Pinball for GB? It's also very well done.

Yeah, your pictures look good. I think that will be the best you can do with them.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:23 PM   #144
Paper exe
Pwnd

I own all Kirby games except, Kirby's Pinball, Avalanche, Adventure (I do have the GBA remake, thought) and all three dream land games (One get stolen by a bunch of bully kids the other I missed the third did not release in my country)
Old 10-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #145
Meshugana
Daddy Fat Sacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
If I toke
.....stoner.....
Old 10-25-2005, 02:50 PM   #146
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
The size of Paper's pics are perfectly fine. The file size is very small and they aren't so big in physical size as to be obtrusive.
yeah dont be like me with my "PSP HUGE WIDESCREEN" images.

Good kirby review paper, i always wondered about those oblong kirby games i missed. I love kirby.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:10 PM   #147
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshugana
.....stoner.....

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:37 PM   #148
Paper exe
Pwnd

Daigasso! Band Brothers~NDS-Music

This game was originally a GBA launch title, but it get canceled, I guess, because the lack of X and Y buttons. That game uses Midi music and also has weak graphics that GBA can handle. This game also uses the R and L button creatively. These shoulder buttons where one of GBA features back then.
Nintendo knew that replacing the original soundtrack with American music wouldn't be a good idea and the game will end up bad like Donkey Konga, but if they did not change it, the mainstream will reject it and see that feature as a disadvantage, so Nintendo did not bother releasing this game outside of Japan.
It seems that Nintendo are trying to make this game go on for ever as there main music game. Nintendo first made a downloadable music that can be downloaded by the play Yan and now they released an expansion pack in a GBA cart, instead of making a sequel!

This picture dose really show the gameplay and describe it fully and simply.

Thing is. Both the sound effect and the music are.....one. I don't know what to call it to be honest.
Choose from 1-8 instruments (Depends on the music) then start playing the music that you picked and start making the music. Each button has a different note. It is a matter of timing pressing the buttons that they show on the screen to make the music. It depends on the notes if you have to hold it or not and how long you have to hold it. Yes, that means you really do make the music it is not like other music games, which lets you press buttons that has nothing to do with the song.
After reaching far enough in the game they will add a new element. Holding R or L or both or not holding any one of them then pressing any of the 8 notes buttons will make a different note, for an example if they made a note that has Left and on top of it R, you will have to hold R then press Left, so that it counts that you hit the note. In this way you can perfectly make the music just like the way it was by your self! It isn?t easy, thought and dose need a lot of getting used to and training to master it. Don?t worry, you can turn it on or off, but you have to finish it to unlock something!
The drums instruments plays differently then any other instruments. R and L are used as extra buttons and you don?t need to hold any button to play any notes unlike any other instruments.

No, it is not a map nor a menu or radar. The extra screen is now used for a decoration!!!1! w00t

In the signal player mode, you can choose between about more then 35 music. Each instrument on a song has different difficulty from very easy (1 star) to very hard (5 stars). In the end they will rate your play. The soundtrack is fantastic, there are a lot of great music like Seasons, Melissa, Ready steady go!, Kirby's star Medley etc. it may not be Perfect, but great not the less. There is another mode called record or something like that. In that mode they will choose 3 random music with random instruments and you will only have 100 chances, if you made 100 mistakes the bomb will explode and you will have to repeat it, but with different randomly choosing music and instrument. If you finish it you then can play the instruments that have more stars, keep doing that until you beat the game. Note that if you paused on the record mode you will be forced to quit the game, so be careful, but thankfully that is only on record mode.
The thing which I hate about the game is that when playing on any instrument, the instrument that you are playing will have the loudest sound and that really annoys me when I am playing a song that I like, because it makes it sound noisy.

You can play from 2-8 players with only one game and on top of that you don?t have the need to download the game dozen of times to play a different music. One time is enough. Playing multiplayer, each player chooses an instrument and you all should work as a band to make the music. Instead of the other instrument being played automatically your cousins will be the once that play it. In the end they will rate your play. It is in fact a good idea and very fun. You can also play with unlimited players, but each one of them should own there own Band Brother Game to play it. I couldn?t try that mode, because I am one of the very few people in the whole country that actually own the game!

Some times you need to touch the screen by your hand to make it play some notes automatically. You guess it, it adds nothing to the gameplay.

Finally there is edit mode. There are two ways to make your music, one is the simple and quick way, but being simple and quick is what made it unplayable and unusable. You can only make a song that last about a minute and all the note will be in random instruments and you can only choose 4 types of music like sad, happy, cheerful, angry.
The other is pro edit mode; it may not be the perfect tool, but still works great for making music. Keep in mind that you will have to understand music language to make music!
Some may do find it complicated, but I still could somewhat figure it out by my self with a little help. It still needs a lot of time and I still need to actually think of an original music or at lest think what music should I make from my favorites, so I had a great idea and that to not make one from the beginning and save my self the trouble. You can only save 8 songs anyway and that is very few if you ask me. I think 20 is the lest number and 8 is nothing.

About graphics, like what you saw on the first picture. A wooden/metal background with unclear pictures on both sides and in the middle is black with some white lines that notes are writing on it, each with different colors. The graphics is very weak, but still done the job right knowing that it is just a music game and they had to make it look like that. They still could have done better, but it would still not make that much of a different.

Only a gifted person like me can make such a masterpiece like this! Note the long haired guy on the right!

Gameplay (7/10)
Graphics (5/10)
Sound (8/10)
Length (8/10)
Daigasso! Band Brothers (28/40)

Last edited by Paper exe; 10-30-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:54 PM   #149
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I cannot find the long haired guy on the left.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #150
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

It sucks that this game isn't going to ber released in the USA. I would love, LOVE to play this game with somebody(Joe Redifer) but he would never import it as he is a tight ass with his money.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote