The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
1337haxxor
Banned
 
1337haxxor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: When In Halifax, Visit The Pavillion
Posts: 1,118
Square Soft and Nintendo?

i've been out of the loop for a long time but since Super Mario RPG which pwns Square did nothing for Nintendo untill Chrystal Chronicals and then Finaly Fantisey Tactics adavance which also kicks alot of ass.


why did this happen and are they going to be making Nintendo games again? because that would own. was it because the N64 was just to good for game developers to come within 200 feet?

if nintendo got in a knife fight with Square who would win?
1337haxxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman
 
Dr. Bombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Nexus Between Jersey and NYC
Posts: 9,197
The same Squaresoft deals are still in effect. As of last year, you needed 1 GCN game to publish 3 GBA games. Square is more interested in porting remakes on the GBA, in order to milk the system for whatever it needs. With the DS, we can expect to see ports of FF5-6, and perhaps 7-9, unless the PSP is wildly successful and the PSP gets the ports of 7-9.
__________________
~There's a Door Here, But It Will Not Break~
~There's a Stone There, But It Won't Remain~
~Up There's a Heaven Now, But It Will Not Wait~
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
Magnus
The world's stopping but we keep going
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337haxxor
Why did this happen?
Roughly from what I remeber, what happened with them falling out was that Nintendo stuck with cartridges instead of moving to CD's when every other company was. Square and Nintendo fought on the issue and Square decided to develop on other platforms. Now, Square expected Nintendo to get pissed off about this and change to CD for the N64. Nintendo though, using thier "Dream Team" ideal merely shrugged them off, saying they weren't needed. This pissed Square who in turn talked to Enix and convinced them to stop developing for the N64. Now, as is known Dragon Quest is the biggest RPG franchise in Japan and Square had basically just robbed Nintendo of Dragon Quest VII. That pissed Yamauchi off no end, who said why he was in charge of Nintendo, Square would never develop on a Nintendo platform again. From then on things degraded even worse.

Come around the Gamecube launch however there were rumors of Square developing on Gamecube, perhaps even a Final Fantasy title. When speaking in a meeting or conference however, Yamauchi mentioned the relative failure of Final Fantasy XI (it wasn't doing too hot at that stage) as a prime reason why online games weren't needed. Square got upset about it and defended Final Fantasy XI, and the talks between them broke down. Once the GBA became a success Square naturally wanted to get in on the action. They approached Nintendo, but Nintendo demanded a Final Fantasy title for the Gamecube before they could have a licence. Using the Q-Fund, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was developed and Square got thier licence. Now everything seems to be going good between them again.
Quote:
And are they going to be making Nintendo games again?
They are currently developing on Nintendo platforms, there are a few upcoming GBA titles and they currently have four or five DS titles in development. For Gamecube, there are constant rumors of new titles but nothing has come about.
Quote:
If Nintendo got in a knife fight with Square who would win?
Whoever's better at it.

Last edited by Magnus; 09-25-2004 at 02:02 PM.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!
 
Messanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Apopka
Posts: 1,471
Magnus pretty much summed it up here, Nintendo has Square's support now, but they don't have much. The ds is gonna change that somewhat, it actually would have been interesting to see a real FF game for the gcn instead of the not so great FF:CC.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...
 
Escaflowne2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Thetford, Norfolk, England
Posts: 17,461
Wasn't there the thing with Secret Of Mana aswell that Squaresoft requested a bigger cart and Nintendo refused so alot had to be cut hence why it's glitches and crashes often but when Enix asked for the latest DQ they were allowed. Or is that aload of BS heard that a few times before aswell....
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
Sk8_or_DIE
PUMP IT
 
Sk8_or_DIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337haxxor

if nintendo got in a knife fight with Square who would win?
They would stab each other to a bloody death while sony would watch and laugh like the stuck up pricks they are.
__________________
Fly Play-thing fly... ur not ready... SEGA
Sk8_or_DIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 03:12 AM   #7
Mishi
Registered User
 
Mishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 320
uh? i always thought it was because square wanted to put all those nice FMV's and cartridges just couldnt do the job. ;)
__________________
><V
Mishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 03:22 AM   #8
Vert1
Banned
 
Vert1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: by my computer
Posts: 3,365
and those FMV's are why Square is a sham of a company now.That's right Playstation messed up everything.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 04:02 AM   #9
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!
 
Messanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Apopka
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1
and those FMV's are why Square is a sham of a company now.That's right Playstation messed up everything.

Yeah the the playstation took your beloved third parties from Nintendo and ran Sega out of the console business. It's not Sony or Square's fault that people wanted to use the cd media to make bigger and better games.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:51 AM   #10
TheHardware
The Moment..
 
TheHardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bronx Samurai
Posts: 3,683
yeah ..dont give the company what it wants....lets force it to use our medium..and like it......thats the nitendo way .../big smile
__________________
There is one place that you have not looked and it is there, only there that you shall find the master.
TheHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:50 AM   #11
Vicviper
Hello handsome!
 
Vicviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1
and those FMV's are why Square is a sham of a company now.That's right Playstation messed up everything.
What if Nintendo released a disc based system instead of cartridge base and Square stayed with Nintendo and released games with beautiful FMV on the N64? Would you still be saying the same things?
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #12
littlepest429
How very Kafkaesque.
 
littlepest429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Iowa.
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHardware
yeah ..dont give the company what it wants....lets force it to use our medium..and like it......thats the nitendo way .../big smile
It's still Nintendo's choice. Even if every developer in history said "OMG GIMME CDS", Nintendo could still go with cartridges, since it's their console, and their choice.
littlepest429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:24 PM   #13
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...
 
Escaflowne2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Thetford, Norfolk, England
Posts: 17,461
Yes it there's choice and that's why alot of developers/publishers left because they made the wrong choice and the N64 paid the price.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:29 PM   #14
bemanisuperstar
Banned
 
bemanisuperstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In HP Lovecraft's world
Posts: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
Roughly from what I remeber, what happened with them falling out was that Nintendo stuck with cartridges instead of moving to CD's when every other company was. Square and Nintendo fought on the issue and Square decided to develop on other platforms. Now, Square expected Nintendo to get pissed off about this and change to CD for the N64. Nintendo though, using thier "Dream Team" ideal merely shrugged them off, saying they weren't needed. This pissed Square who in turn talked to Enix and convinced them to stop developing for the N64. Now, as is known Dragon Quest is the biggest RPG franchise in Japan and Square had basically just robbed Nintendo of Dragon Quest VII. That pissed Yamauchi off no end, who said why he was in charge of Nintendo, Square would never develop on a Nintendo platform again. From then on things degraded even worse.

Come around the Gamecube launch however there were rumors of Square developing on Gamecube, perhaps even a Final Fantasy title. When speaking in a meeting or conference however, Yamauchi mentioned the relative failure of Final Fantasy XI (it wasn't doing too hot at that stage) as a prime reason why online games weren't needed. Square got upset about it and defended Final Fantasy XI, and the talks between them broke down. Once the GBA became a success Square naturally wanted to get in on the action. They approached Nintendo, but Nintendo demanded a Final Fantasy title for the Gamecube before they could have a licence. Using the Q-Fund, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was developed and Square got thier licence. Now everything seems to be going good between them again.


They are currently developing on Nintendo platforms, there are a few upcoming GBA titles and they currently have four or five DS titles in development. For Gamecube, there are constant rumors of new titles but nothing has come about.

Whoever's better at it.
I haven Nintendo bashed for a while but after experencing Gamecube suckage first hand last night and being annoyed by a Game I preiveously said was good I'm due for some N Bashing (Vert 1 you may stop reading now)

Yamiuchi is such an egotistical Ass hole
Just an observation. He doesn't ask the fans what they want he tells them what they want.

and Square didn't reach their peak until they were on Sony Platforms.
bemanisuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #15
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...
 
Escaflowne2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Thetford, Norfolk, England
Posts: 17,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemanisuperstar

and Square didn't reach their peak until they were on Sony Platforms.
Actually some of there best games were on the Snes aswell as the PsOne but there you go.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.