The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
UniGamer
The Fanboy Bully

EA Sucks
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Alucard

I was playing this today. **** me but this game is AWESOME. The amount of freedom you have is so cool, and the graphics are lush. Seriously, top fucking class game. Get your hands on it if you dont have it yet. Only other game that impressed me this much was Dark Messiah demo.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
da missinlink
MIA It would seem

I think Alucard found his new love, at least for the moment.
da missinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
Drew

96% from PC GAMER. Highest score ever for an RTS. Same old Relic, brilliant game and a brilliant developer.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #5
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
I was playing this today. **** me but this game is AWESOME. The amount of freedom you have is so cool, and the graphics are lush. Seriously, top fucking class game. Get your hands on it if you dont have it yet. Only other game that impressed me this much was Dark Messiah demo.
In what way? Teh pretty graphics? I have pretty high standards when it comes to tactical depth in squad based games, and nothing real-time has come even close.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
Alucard

Sure the graphics are lush. Destructable terrain and objects, being able to zoom all the way into the units and out. The water even changes colour if theres a huge explosion that lights up the sky. When I saw that I was floored snce it looked REALLY cinematic. The tops of parachuttes have a gorgeous lighting effect from the sun. Theres detail EVERYWHERE.

As for control and depth, its amazing. Theres about 3 types of cover. None, light, and heavy. Your troops automatically know what to do when they get into combat. You control 5 men in each 'squad'. Clicking on 1 highlights the entire squad, so its easy to control multiple squads. If they run near something as they get into battle, they instantly go for cover or crouch or lie down. They flank the enemy automatically, they fire automatically, you can tell them which way to face, you can upgrade them as they get more experience, you can do a crapload of stuff. The game is blindingly brilliant.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:00 AM   #7
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Im thinking bout getting it
Not quite sure if I have the funds ATM though
Old 09-16-2006, 04:10 AM   #8
Alucard

ACQUIRE it through internet means or wait a little. But the game is worthy of it. I rarely froth over a game.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
Decado

Quote:
Sure the graphics are lush. Destructable terrain and objects, being able to zoom all the way into the units and out. The water even changes colour if theres a huge explosion that lights up the sky. When I saw that I was floored snce it looked REALLY cinematic. The tops of parachuttes have a gorgeous lighting effect from the sun. Theres detail EVERYWHERE.

As for control and depth, its amazing. Theres about 3 types of cover. None, light, and heavy. Your troops automatically know what to do when they get into combat. You control 5 men in each 'squad'. Clicking on 1 highlights the entire squad, so its easy to control multiple squads. If they run near something as they get into battle, they instantly go for cover or crouch or lie down. They flank the enemy automatically, they fire automatically, you can tell them which way to face, you can upgrade them as they get more experience, you can do a crapload of stuff. The game is blindingly brilliant.
In short, the game plays itself. How exciting.

It's the RTS for Dungeon Siege fans. I guess it's better than actually having to play that crap.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
Alucard

Considering you aint even touched it to see how it plays, your comment is once again flame bait towards anything WW2/RTS related. The game is tricky and requires quite a bit of skill and tactics savvy thinking. The troops just arent super stupid and dont requier you to click behind walls and hope they dont rush headfirst into a god damn tank.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
Decado

Quote:
The game is tricky and requires quite a bit of skill and tactics savvy thinking.
Good. When I get a new system I'll try the demo.

And yes, I was bugging you. I'm definately going to give a go, RTS or no. I'll probably even try Faces of War. Two RTS WWII games. Shock.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
Alucard

I'm still unsure about Faces of War, but I got my eye on it.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
Decado

In all honesty, a game with destructable terrain and an "M" rating from a decent developer is guaranteed to get at least a little attention from me.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:32 AM   #14
Drew

VIDEO: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...pany+of+heroes
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:39 AM   #15
Alucard

Pity the quality of that clip is so bad. But yeah, frantic game. I love airstrikes.