The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 02-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

SEGA/Sammy troubles

SEGA/Sammy have had a bad nine months at the end of 2007 making a $147 million dollar loss during this period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesutra
Japan based Sega Sammy has announced that it seeks to reduce its workforce by 400 employees, following the release of its nine month results that show losses of 15.8 billion yen ($147.9 million), down from a profit of 49.4 billion yen ($463.1 million) the year prior.

The company's overall sales in the nine month period ending December 31st, including its pachislot and amusement machine business as well as its console and handheld games, have also fallen over 15 percent to $3.12 billion.

"In the consumer business," the company said in a release, "overseas videogame software sales were up compared with the same period in the previous fiscal year with strong sales of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games," but fared worse in Japan.

"Sales volume in Japan and other regions totaled [1.88 million] copies during the first three quarters of the current fiscal year, while sales totaled [6.25 million] copies in the U.S. and [6.25 million] copies in Europe. Overall sales came to [14.7 million] copies," said the company.

The company said cutbacks of 400 employees were necessary "due to Sega failing to respond to changing business environment," and include the closing some 110 unprofitable amusement centers over the past nine months, and "reductions of officers' remuneration and bonuses of managerial-level staffs."

For its full year ending March 31st, the company has lowered its overall sales forecast from $5.06 billion to $4.46 million, and has sharply dropped its profit expectation of $9.38 million to $243.9 million.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
murray
<insert witty motto>

Where's Sharky?

They have got so many great IPs but no idea how to use them properly. Nintendo should buy them.
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Alucard

They should elect me as their president and I'll bring them back to glory. Or Chairman Kaga. He'll do just as good.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Seraph
>:3

I just think alot of decision makers need to be let go. Sega has some good talent, the last few games I played had some really solid moments. One thing Sega almost never screws up is Music.

That said, the last few games I played also had a ton of uneeded extra crap that bogged down the experince. If they would remove all the crap and build upon what makes their games fun, they could maybe make their franchises mean something agian.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
loempiavreter
Belt Scroll Game Supremacy

If there's one thing Sega can't too, it's making the right decision. They have a knack for making a lot bad choices in history.

I had the feeling that Nights was a test, if their old IP's are still working, unfortunately the original Nights was never a good game to begin with. Next old Ip getting a comeback, Golden Axe doesn't look that promising either, but maybe that'll sell well because of topless and sex scenes, well we could hope it does because this seems to be the last chance for the old sega ip's.
loempiavreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
murray
<insert witty motto>

Yeah i read a hands on preview of Golden Axe and they said it was pretty bad
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
justin_credible

Shenmue 3 and Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 or rot Sega rot.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post
I had the feeling that Nights was a test, if their old IP's are still working, unfortunately the original Nights was never a good game to begin with.
Well I really enjoy the core Nights gameplay, the main levels in that game rock. However it dosent excuse filling the game full of all the not-fun-on-foot-missions, Nights-turns-into-a-vehicle-missions or the unskippable cutscenes. It feels like the Sonic Adventure games where for every fun Sonic mission there were 2 Knuckles scavanger hunt missions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post
but maybe that'll sell well because of topless and sex scenes
that better be a joke...
Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Sega/Sammy have the IPs but not the developers. There is Sega the name but not Sega the team. Those people have sense left the company. Management also seems to be a problem. They keep coming up with or approving bad ideas.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
loempiavreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
that better be a joke...
Yeah, noone with the right mind would buy a game for polygon tits and sex.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #11
Seraph

No I meant that there is actually nudity and sex scenes in friggan Golden Axe.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
loempiavreter

Quote:
No I meant that there is actually nudity and sex scenes in friggan Golden Axe.
Oh I didn't remember correctly, no sex scenes.

Quote:
With a heavy focus on riding beasts, it will target a mature public since dismemberments, decapitations and nudity will be present.
The original Golden Axe took inspirations from (Italian) Sword & Sorcery movies, that genre always features topless women. So it was kinda strange there wasn't any in the past GA games.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
Seraph

Its just weird to think that the game I remember as a Kid in my local Pizza Hut would suddenly contain nudity.

Since I dont play those kind of games, is it possible to have nudity in a game and stay under the AO rating?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Yes it is. In fact God of War not only got away with topless women, but it also got away with a sex mini game. The title never went above rated M. and every 9 year old in the country played it with their childish little "oooooh! hehehe! *covers mouth*"
Old 02-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #15
loempiavreter

Quote:
Its just weird to think that the game I remember as a Kid in my local Pizza Hut would suddenly contain nudity.

Since I dont play those kind of games, is it possible to have nudity in a game and stay under the AO rating?
Edit: Reality awnserd it.

Last edited by loempiavreter; 02-09-2008 at 01:34 PM.