The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #1
Rubeus

There's a rumor going around that Halo Infinite's multiplayer will be free-to-play

Click for full size

Quote:
There's a rumor going around that Halo Infinite's multiplayer will be free-to-play

A new approach for a classic series

The packaged Halo experience has largely always been the same. Buy one $60 game, get both the campaign and multiplayer components. It's very standard. But, as distribution models change for competing shooters, rumors have it that Microsoft is toying with the idea of switching its approach to Halo.

"Toying" is the operative word here because news of this shakeup comes via a toyshop leak. As reported by The Verge, Irish retailer Smyths Toys Superstores updated its Halo Infinite product page with a description that included the phrase "groundbreaking free-to-play multiplayer experience."

That page has since been deleted, but it's supported by an Xbox leaker, Klobrille, who has a track record of accurately reporting on Halo details:

Apart from the free-to-play claims, Klobrille adds that Halo Infinite will have a battle pass, new customization options, and that the Arena multiplayer playlist is trying to hit 120 frames per second on Xbox Series X.

Recently, 343 Industries head Chris Lee mentioned that Halo Infinite is a platform for the next 10 years of Halo. Going free-to-play with multiplayer would certainly raise Halo's profile and serve as a substantial base for that platform. If Microsoft drops Xbox Live Gold (which is a theory that's picking up steam as of late) and makes Halo Infinite's multiplayer truly free-to-play, we'd have our "oh shit, Halo's back" moment that we haven't really seen since the franchise's early(ish) days.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/...y-599179.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

Yeah, we've heard the rumors, but lets see reality.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:00 AM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
it's real, they just said so today, f2p and the new rumor is no more xbox live paid membership also. I think it's probably true for that too cause MS needs something over Sony and Nintendo now, since both copied them with online memberships.

I think MS sees that people will just pay for gamepass anyways, so they don't need to charge for online anymore.
If mulitplayer paid services die, I will be VERY happy, it's honestly a stupid thing that I stopped paying for. I don't play any game online through consoles unless it's online is free to play. fuck their shit!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
Nem
Smash bro!

Yeah, i know it makes sense, but i want it to be confirmed before we jump to conclusions. Cause otherwise we are just giving them free positive buzz they don't deserve. I want them to deserve it and then go shame Sony and Nintendo to follow suit, which would be great for all gamers.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
Yeah, i know it makes sense, but i want it to be confirmed before we jump to conclusions. Cause otherwise we are just giving them free positive buzz they don't deserve. I want them to deserve it and then go shame Sony and Nintendo to follow suit, which would be great for all gamers.
Conversely if the rumors say that there will be free online play and that turns out to be false that would massively hurt them also because rumors for people like us who follow the industry gets filtered down to the much larger casual and semi casual player base as fact. So it ends up looking like MS did something shifty.

At least we have confirmation on the free Halo MP though. That's pretty cool.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I'm almost done with consoles anyways. At least microsoft knows that there are guys like me who want to play their games but not their console, so they release them on PC now. Even Sony started that. It's like they want to kill off consoles cause of how expensive they're getting.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #7
Nem
Smash bro!

No such thing. They make a lot of money from them throughout most of their lifetime.
It's just a money thing. PC has grown cause of Steam and there's a lot of money to be had. Microsoft embraced it cause they weren't selling enough Xbox's and cause it runs on their OS.
Sony is just making extra bucks on it after the games become old and no one cares anymore.

Like, i wouldn't expect Horizon 2 to hit PC until at least 2 years after it releases on ps5. But, so far it looks like an exception that Horizon 1 came to PC. We are yet to see anything Naughty dog, santa monica or poliphony coming out on PC.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #8
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
Yeah, we've heard the rumors, but lets see reality.
Here I am.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
Here I am.
We're getting somewhere!