The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
SynchPedro86

Thumbs down I hate to say it, but I think Resident Evil has finally run its course!

I've been a fan of Resident Evil and other survival horror franchises since either 1999 or around the turn of the century. That's almost 20 years that I have stuck by the series. And to a lot of people out there, it's not just a game that people play 'for fun' or because we have 'free time' to do so. No. Perhaps to begin with, that might have been the case, although if you have been a dedicated fan for as long as I (and a lot of other devoted fans out there) have been up until now, you will begin to feel like you are being cheated and like you are being denied a true game that you want to see unfold. Do note, however, that all of this is my opinions.

As the years go by, I find it harder and harder to believe that Capcom knows what they're doing any more, because quite frankly, I don't think they do. I'm going to go out on a limb here and openly say that even if the re-imagining of 2 does well, I feel like they are just doing it for a quick dollar, because the fanboys (I dare say "true fans" here) had, for the longest time, been badgering Capcom to do that. By the looks of things, it's just a fan service game too, that likely won't even be canonical, so I have to question just why the hell they're wasting resources on this, because it looks great, sure, but Claire does not even look right to me. It's just a trick to get people suckered in again. Because they constantly say that the next one will be the best one to date or it will be the scariest, or that they're returning to the roots, but we just got a Silent Hills copy as their method of compensation, due to Konami not even completing that game, so try another one, Capcom.

In all honesty, my beef doesn't even lay with the remake. My frustration lays with their BS decisions and how they disrespected key figures that made this franchise what it is today. People, such as Alyson Court. Fans wanted her to come back for the longest time. All they do now is milk the series in the most horrible way and publish awful side story games made by other people, that are not even connected to the timeline. We had to wait nearly a year to get add-on content because the third party group they hired messed it up. Nobody in their right mind should care about Umbrella Corps, Operation Raccoon City or the rest of the garbage tie-in media or half baked add-on content. Now, I get that companies love to experiment, because the market has changed. But in my view, Resident Evil 4 was the game that pretty much ruined the series, way back in 2005. It ain't a bad game. In fact, when it comes to action games, I'd say it's one of the best in its category. But it just wasn't really even a real Resident Evil game back then, and it still isn't. For starters, this game has an identity crisis. All Capcom did was rip off Call of Duty and other movies, and that's what they've did ever since with each sequel. They just cut and paste the same enemies, but maybe do the race different, but everything else, they recycle over and over again, and they even threw in co-op, so how was the games after that even terrifying in the slightest? Now the newer ones hardly even resemble Resident Evil in general, and I feel like the dude they put in 7: Biohazard for Chris' model was a poor stand-in for Roger, or whatever the guy's name is, who played Chris in Revelations and 5 and 6. The recent chap that Capcom hired looked and sounded nothing like Chris at all, and I feel that with the RE Engine they are working on now, they will likely screw-up other characters' designs at some point down the road. For I mean, they could have gotten a guy to model Chris who had a black beard with big muscles and who somewhat resembled the character so, so much. It ain't hard. Actually, all the seventh game did overall was rip off The Texas Chain Saw Massacre movies and Trancers starring Tim Thomerson. It's true, by the way. The game was also not that memorable, but somehow, people tell me they think it is the best one since the fourth one, and I often feel they act contrary on purpose. It has its moments, yeah, but play the first game or even the first three entries back to back, up to when Raccoon City was blown up, then play that latest entry, and you will clearly be able to see that nothing about the older games is intact any longer. Nothing whatsoever remains and it may as well be an entirely new IP. Yet Capcom will never do that, because copying trends is way safer. Oh, yeah. Like, you're walking around super slowly in a similar house, located in some decrepit land, being chased by an old man with a spiked shovel and you get sludge creatures, bugs and occasionally, you get to battle gators and a John Kramer (from Saw) rip off called Lucas Baker, too. Wow! Like, give me the zombies, dogs and all the original monsters over that cut and paste horror movie nonsense, any day of the week.

It is not just the looks of the characters either. Capcom has no more creativity. Why do I think that way? Well, they obviously just make up dumb stuff to "enhance" the plot (what plot?) and much of it either makes little sense, or it ultimately goes nowhere. The next game that eventually swings around usually has no references to what happened before and once again, the story and whatnot has been lifted (as in nicked) from other franchises. They marketed part 7 as being set blah, blah, blah amount of years after part 6 (although it has zilch to do with the game that Capcom claims it was carrying on from). We didn't even get a proper ending to the downfall of Umbrella, until they did those awful rail shooter Wii games. They just say that such and such has a son or a sister, or yes, even a clone, in order to churn out games that end up disappointing the long term fans. To me, Revelations 2 feels like one of the better recent entries, as the enemies were sort of like zombies that actually moved rather quickly, and the game had an interesting story again, even if the frame rates were a bit wobbly. Then I found out they actually copied The Last of Us. If you don't know why, compare Ellie to Moira Burton. Both girls had to hunt rabbits in the winter, after getting separated from someone. That was no coincidence. Capcom ripped off Naughty Dog, and I'll be honest...I think Naughty Dog actually makes better games than Capcom can now. The old Capcom could not be touched. This new Capcom just sucks. Now all these other developers are starting to outshine them.

Plus, a lot of the things in the early games was put in them due to the input of Shinji Mikami. We have that dude to thank tremendously for a lot of aspects of what the series used to be. Yet all Capcom does is take credit for what was essentially his own creation, back in the 90's. But he isn't at Capcom anymore. He is at Tango Gameworks, and actually, he is doing something right. He made The Evil Within games with Bethesda and that is now my second favorite horror game saga due to Konami unceremoniously ruining Silent Hill so they can anger their ex-employees, and cause the fans to become irate, then give us a gambling machine, like anyone sane ought to care, when that's not a real game. And to make matters worse, they stopped doing AAA titles. For the most part, I believe.

All they actually do is bring back classic characters they KNOW you'll want to see, but then the story is just thrown in there and while you may love it at the time because it has that name glued to the cover, I don't, because I know that 9 times out of 10, it is something external that just goes nowhere. They then wait a few years and do another game that also goes nowhere, but it too copies other games and films. The series has no clear narrative. So if they are going to do that, I say they should be prepared to at least do it right and clean up the story, before chucking in all of this new trash. However, I digress. They have nothing. They just want to remake titles that people are so fond of, as it will attract those big sales. If you truly think about it, what iterations in this franchise are the most beloved out of all of the retro installments? Yep. 2 and also 3: Nemesis, which I'm sure they'll remake next.
SynchPedro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I enjoyed RE7 WAYYYYYYYYYY better than RE6, I hated that game. I didn't even finish it.

The problem with Resident Evil is the mystery of the games are done. We know everything and anything they add just feels cheap.

Hopefully Call of Cthulhu is a good horror game.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Nem
Smash bro!

Hopefully RE2R is the reboot the series needs. It looks great.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
Hopefully RE2R is the reboot the series needs. It looks great.
It really does. The REngine continues to look amazing and Capcom's recent trend of announcing RE games and then having it come out within a year is fantastic. I'm beyond hyped. I honestly didn't expect it to be as far along as it was during E3. I expected some vertical slice video of the game with an ambiguous "SEASON-YEAR" release date, at most.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

RE7 was a bad knockoff of a bad Rob Zombie movie. Can't wait for RE2.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #6
SynchPedro86

Thumbs down

I know this guy on YouTube who lives in America. His name is Nemesis. It is "Nemesis" but with a hyphen after his name. Likely, he created his ID that way so he could bypass Google's registration process, since you have to put something in the surname section when you are signing up.

Anyway, this guy currently has over 3K subscribers, but he used to upload mostly anime videos onto his channel when he first started out. Perhaps that's why he has as many followers as he does. In fact, I did a Google search for another nickname he uses and I saw that he has a Crunchyroll profile as well. He is notorious for being accused of spouting utter garbage about the survival horror genre and bashing Capcom in particular. About 2 years ago, he began uploading a lot of Resident Evil opinions videos. You know? These are basically just his own thoughts on how he doesn't like the fact that Shinji Mikami and other key personnel connected to the franchise, were (in his eyes, at least) being mistreated by Capcom. Which you'd think is fine, because that's how he feels and it shouldn't matter if he wants to express himself in that way. Maybe not everything he said is truthful. We're only human, sure, but a lot of what he said was reasonably well-worded and so I appreciate that he doesn't act like one of the sheep. Right?

Well, other YouTubers (namely, a few clowns known as Renegade Operative and BioDevil_Dom) think that it's okay to make reaction videos dissecting this man's words, with the guy they are slagging off all the while trying to put on a brave face and boast of how he doesn't care if nobody agrees with him. Yet that seems highly unlikely, giving that he incessantly claims not to care about Capcom at all, yet somehow he has gotten around to recording like 9527 videos in a year to drive home the point that Capcom sucks. Also known as being a contradicting twit. That's obviously an exaggerated amount of videos, but there must be at least 50 similar videos on his profile by now, that consist of this infamous YouTube personality badmouthing Capcom.

Personally, I didn't dislike the guy to begin with. I think he has a touch of autism like I do, so I was glad I found out about his videos and it's sad that he decided to then side with his two biggest haters, merely because I said controversial remarks about his country. Since then, these two idiots have been making videos about me too, trying to make me out to be the biggest horse's ass in the entire online Resident Evil community and that I'm evidently more "toxic" than Nemesis is because of how I behaved, and also due to what I confessed to having done to people I met years ago.

They constantly bring up the fact that I've got an Encyclopedia Dramatica entry, which really only came about due to similar abuse I endured on a lot of ridiculous fan forums throughout the years. That, plus I openly admitted to a lot of personal issues that were better off not being broadcast on the Internet to begin with. Regardless though, one of them recently made a video mocking the fact I admitted I've been in some films and he said I probably just do acting to get women to notice me, because real talk: I look like an inbred monkey, and his mate was also making fun of me for recording a video where I had a stray mouse in my bathroom. Again, so what? They also bash anyone who responds in my defense, such as this guy who calls himself Deacon. It's sad how I defended this Nemesis chap over the past several months and he does that in return, while overlooking the fact that this all started because of his content. They shared some links with Nemesis to paint a bad picture of my overall persona, then the guy I defended suddenly starts acting like it was all a game with those guys and that everything is cool now. These people are well and truly sad if they rely on drama videos to gain an audience. One of them clearly hasn't done his homework either, because he said there hasn't been a Dino Crisis game in close to a decade, yet the last one was actually put out back in 2003. Also, if you ignore all that pathetic pish for a minute, it's this kind of pointless harassment that I've had to put up with online since I was a teenager, but what is sad is that this nonsense all originally began when I was like 17 and I'm 32 now.

SynchPedro86 is offline   Reply With Quote