The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-21-2007, 12:42 AM   #46
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Spaz. We all pay bills, you're not the only one. But if you cant afford something which will let you play games on at least medium detail for the next 3-4 years then its not worth buying.
Well considering all the DX10 capable cards are way out of my price range.... I can't really wait for that price drop either. Plus I'm building 2 of those PC's, so a mid-range last year video card is excellent. Plus if it's running current games on mid range settings I'd say the card has about another two years minimum of mid range settings life.

Quote:
Save up longer.
You mean between buying a new car, paying my current bills (which include house bills like electric, gas water, rent), and going to school in the fall? Sorry I will not wait another 3 years to play PC games just because the technology will change.

Quote:
A 7300GT wont be more awesome if youhave a 3gig or 4gig cpu. Each video card pretty much locks off and bottle necks itself so it doesnt matter if you have the greatest cpu in the entire world.
Didn't say it would, but having a dual core is nice for the stuff I use my computer more for, like DLing, ripping, burning, video and music conversion, video editing (soon), web server etc. Video games are like the thing I do with my PC least so if I have to lower some settings rather than justify a extra $100 -200 per build so be it.

Quote:
For example $800 can get you a pc that will be suped. If you dont have the money then wait till the end of the year or whenever. If you're gonna do something, do it right. Otherwise buy a 360.
Shit that PC will still outperform the 360. Fucking lag in between blades horse shit. $800 x 2 = $1,600 $450 x 2 = $900 sorry I think I'll keep my current midrange build. If I really need to I can just buy a case and power supply later and mount that board in there.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #47
Alucard

Nono, a dual core cpu is a good move, just saying the 7300GT probably wont benefit much from a high cpu. I dont think it'll be playing games at medium level for the next 2 years. Its struggling to do that at the moment. But considering it costs around $60, the next good card isnt till around $120. So I guess for now $60 is good enough for what you need.

But some of those other parts are just not on. You're gonna have to change them. Starting with the dvdburner. Fuck that lite-on shit. Pioneer and sata. Bout the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129009

Your hdd I do not like. Seagate is better. Extra 40gigs for the same price, and 5year warranty instead of 3 year.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148230

I'll have a better look at that board you chose later when newegg isnt acting like a pregnant cow.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #48
Chronos
fuggit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachalmighty
Delete his posts and ban him from the section!!!!!
that would actually be a smart move, if it was possible. that way noone will have to answer the inevitable newb questions once i start to order parts for my upcoming pc.

thankfully, alot of info is here already.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #49
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
that would actually be a smart move, if it was possible. that way noone will have to answer the inevitable newb questions once i start to order parts for my upcoming pc.

thankfully, alot of info is here already.
The one Im building is good for the money, so you probably wont have to ask any questions. Just dont say that the Xbox3shitty is better then a good ol' fashion PC.

I can pirate on a PC, and avoid microtransactions , so its much much better.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #50
Alucard

Can pirate on a 360 too. My friend does it religiously.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #51
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
yea but to pirate on a 360 requires actually having a pc anyways, so.. pc pwnz joo.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #52
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano Fox
yea but to pirate on a 360 requires actually having a pc anyways, so.. pc pwnz joo.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:11 AM   #53
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

I actually updated the Ditto PC build.... (going to be great for LANing with friends when the g/f isn't using hers.)

Traded the video card and went with a faster core clock.... That way when I overclock it for mine it's worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...2E16814121059R

Then I remembered that SATA drives are cheap recertified so I switched the HD with...

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822136063

I'll save you the trouble looking at the board.... It's Core 2 Duo ready when they drop in price (clock speed) and has USB 2.0 and Gigabit ethernet intergrated, and 4 SATA plugs.

Not sure about that DVD burner you linked it 18x and gotten some bad reviews lately because of the Firmware, and it doesn't seem to handle cheap blank media well.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:40 AM   #54
Alucard

The burner is fine, one of the best burners youll ever get your hands on. That lite-on rubbish will be dead within 7months at most. I also have a little advice on cheap media...it doesnt last long. My friend bought nothing but cheap media. Right now he's going through his dvds to see what still works and what he has to replace. Most funny cause its gigs and gigs worth of tv and anime series he cant use anymore. A good cheap brand is Shintaro. Brilliant price and been using them for like 6 years or so and still can access my old ones.

And you're killing me with the HDD. You went with western digital again. Seagate is better and has 2 years more warranty on it. Its cheaper then that one too.

That video card is no good. You just downgraded yourself. Example FEAR at 1024x768 AA/AF disabled, the 7300GT gets about 40fps. The overclocked 7300GT gets 56. The X1550 gets 32.

Doom3 engine same specs, although I didnt seem to find comparable reviews for this one. On MEDIUM detail the 1550 does 47, compared to HIGH detail on the 7300GT does 72. Obviously the numbers will change depending where you look, but not by too much. In the end I cant seem to find it getting above the 7300GT on any engine. Anyway you get the idea. Go back to 7300GT. It was cheaper too I think.

The reason I was trying to look up info on your board was so I could see what sort of upgradability it had. This one seems fine. Can currently go up to the E6700, but sadly doesnt support the new quad-core cpus. Not sure if that'll change in future firmware upgrades. Theres a chance. Heres the list.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...&cat3_no=#menu

Hopefully that link actually works.

Last edited by Alucard; 06-22-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #55
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

I just got my seagate drive, ram, and psu in the mail in two days after ordering. that was damn fast.

Anyway, I also bought BF2142 so if anyone want to play that game with me im getting pretty good at sniping. 5 kills before dying so far.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #56
Alucard

I think BF2 is more popular. But thats present day without mechs. But vegetto and reality live on that game.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #57
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
I think BF2 is more popular. But thats present day without mechs. But vegetto and reality live on that game.
You play BF2142? I love mechs.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #58
Alucard

Dont play it myself but might grab it at some stage. Too swamped with other games to finish first. Hadly have time for CS:S and aint even touched BF2 in months. Soooon though...sooooooon.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #59
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Dont play it myself but might grab it at some stage. Too swamped with other games to finish first. Hadly have time for CS:S and aint even touched BF2 in months. Soooon though...sooooooon.
Im a noob at it anyway but It would be cool to play with someone I know from forums. I also plan on getting C&C3 and I already have NWN2 and Spellforce 2 for anyone who plays that.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #60
Alucard

lol dont look at me. My pings would die if I played an fps to a different country.