The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

In need of a new processer?

Recently in games, I've been getting a load of occasional freezing. And this is all games; Battlefield BC2, and Left 4 Dead, so it isn't just on the high end games. Can be running along at 60 frames nice and fine, and then a few second freezing of the game, and then back to normal, and then freeze again. etc.

This is starting to become a more regular occurence, and I'm sure it has something to do with my dual-core Athlon processer? My graphics card is good, RAM good, processer baaad.

Any recommendations on a new processer without spending too much?

I'd rather stick to AMD unless the i5 or i7 processers are beyond awesome. For a price range I was looking at just 100 or so, give or take a bit; I can get myself a decent AMD Phenom quad-core for that price, and a hex-core if about 40 is worth an additional 2 cores.

Need to keep the prices down since I'm out of a job right now.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
TehGambiniz

what kinda gpu and ram do you have exactly?

if your mobo supports a phenom processor i'd go with that and a good after market cooler and overclock the hell out of it

a high clocked quadcore + 4gb of ram + strong gpu means you are maxing out just about everything
TehGambiniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I've got a GTX 460 1GB, and 4GB of RAM.

I'm maxing out everything at playable levels already. It's just recently the processer I think is causing the freezing. Getting a bit unbearable right now.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
TehGambiniz

i have a gtx460 1gb and 4gb of ram as well but they are paired with a q9550 overclocked to 3.3ghz...running everything with ease

you definitely got a cpu bottleneck though i wonder why it is just now causing freezing?

anyway a dual core athlon is not nearly enough for modern games

not sure if your mobo supports a phenom processor?

what kinda mobo do you got?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I'm pretty sure it can. Not entirely sure on the model itself, 180 Intel Maximus motherboard since I deliberately got one with SLI capability for the future. I saved all the pages of my bought parts but this one has been deleted from the site I bought it at so can't look at specs of it. Everything in my computer is reasonably new except for the CPU and RAM, since I did not buy new versions of these when building my current rig, with money constraints.

Always planned on upgrading but never got around to it, since I've never had any problems before, this is the first time the CPU has caused any sorts of problems with games. Even GTA4 with is quite a CPU intensive game ran brilliantly, and still does ignoring the constant freezing.

Last edited by KingOfSentinels; 02-28-2011 at 12:52 PM.
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Alucard

Wait, what makes you think its your cpu. That doesnt sound like a cpu issue. And the intel i760 is probably the best cpu if you're taking price and performance into consideration.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I'm thinking it's the CPU because of the fact everything else in my computer is pretty much new. It won't be my Graphics Card since games run perfectly fine at maxed, simply the occasional freezings. It could only be my processer or RAM effecting the game, and since I have a fair amount of RAM and a very very shitty, old CPU, I'm guessing the problem is due to the latter.

It needs an upgrade regardless, may as well try it out now. Defragged my HDD and using Gamebooster, the problem still continues.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Zack

those games shouldn't be a problem for that cpu though, unless it's overheating..

you should run some stress tests/benchmarks individually on your cpu, ram, and gpu to narrow down the prob. this can also happen if your psu is too weak.

cpu:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

ram:
http://memtest.org/

gpu:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
http://www.3dmark.com/
http://www.evga.com/articles/00530/
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Vegetto
Alive

I have the GTS 250 1 GB with 8 gigs of RAM at the moment with my 4.1 ghz dual core

i'm wanting a new CPU as well, my intel dual core is epic, I have it OC'd at 4.1 GHZ, plays everything at 60-100FPS but since I record my games ALWAYS I get way less fps than that. I'm really wanting a quad, OC that sucker and omg i'd blow through anything even with recording.

problem is the freaking quads for my mobo (socket 775) is frickin 340 dollars http://www.amazon.com/Intel-1333MHz-...=1Q6JWWSNA4UXT and there's absolutely no reason it should still be this high considering it's age, the price has even gone up since a year ago.

I def need a new cpu before BF3 comes out, I know that for sure, maybe i'll freaking just bite the bullet and build a new PC with the latest yummy i7 crap, but I need a freaking job for that to happen.
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Zack

i have the same problem as you vegetta. i'll have to upgrade my ram, cpu, and motherboard when i upgrade, because i'm still on a 775 mobo w/ ddr2 usin win xp. i'm just gonna wait a bit until sandy bridge or whatever drops price before i bother.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
TehGambiniz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
I'm pretty sure it can. Not entirely sure on the model itself, 180 Intel Maximus motherboard since I deliberately got one with SLI capability for the future. I saved all the pages of my bought parts but this one has been deleted from the site I bought it at so can't look at specs of it. Everything in my computer is reasonably new except for the CPU and RAM, since I did not buy new versions of these when building my current rig, with money constraints.

Always planned on upgrading but never got around to it, since I've never had any problems before, this is the first time the CPU has caused any sorts of problems with games. Even GTA4 with is quite a CPU intensive game ran brilliantly, and still does ignoring the constant freezing.
are you running stock cooling?

when i was doing heavy gaming on my q6600 it was heating up so much it burned up the thermal paste and all the games began running poorly also causing random freezing, I bought an after market cooler, reapplied thermal paste and it was good as new...just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Wait, what makes you think its your cpu. That doesnt sound like a cpu issue. And the intel i760 is probably the best cpu if you're taking price and performance into consideration.

an i7 should never be in the discussion for best bang for the buck lol

that's not even considering that he would have to upgrade to new mobo, new ram, and new cpu...he doesn't have a job remember?

anyway find out if you can run a phenom x4 on that mobo cause that would easily be your best bet especially if you throw in a good aftermarket cooler to OC that bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetto View Post

problem is the freaking quads for my mobo (socket 775) is frickin 340 dollars http://www.amazon.com/Intel-1333MHz-...=1Q6JWWSNA4UXT and there's absolutely no reason it should still be this high considering it's age, the price has even gone up since a year ago.

I def need a new cpu before BF3 comes out, I know that for sure, maybe i'll freaking just bite the bullet and build a new PC with the latest yummy i7 crap, but I need a freaking job for that to happen.
yea the lga775 quads are really expensive for various reasons...one they are BEASTLY...OCing machines and large amounts of cache = GREAT for gaming

two...everyone is still on lga775 so they are pretty sought after cpus

i was able to find a q9550 for 190$+ shipping on a forum...insane steal
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
pinoy929
Roll canceller

I've a core i7 and its fire. But it really was meant for overclocking than it is for gaming. I play games quite well on the i7, but my limiting factor is my video card, which is usually the case for most people who PC game.

- Seraph830
pinoy929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
Alucard

The i760, ignoring whether he's working or not since he didnt give even a price range he wanted to buy, is the best cpu to choose if you were planning to spend a specific amount. Its the cheapest of the most powerful cpus that can also be overclocked something fierce. It also out performs all the phenom cpus in the same price range.

I'm still not convinced its the cpu at fault. Check your temperatures for your cpu and video card and tell us what they are when playing games and when not playing. You arent describing this freezing too well... Does the whole pc freeze up or are you referring to lag freezing where it runs fine unless something big happens. Could be a score of things causing your problem. In my mind if it was cpu your pc wouldnt even work properly to begin with. Ram your pc wouldnt even stay at desktop for long. Video card, you'd be getting artifacts on your screen.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehGambiniz
are you running stock cooling?

when i was doing heavy gaming on my q6600 it was heating up so much it burned up the thermal paste and all the games began running poorly also causing random freezing, I bought an after market cooler, reapplied thermal paste and it was good as new...just a thought
That could be it, I'll give it a try, it's just using very basic cooling atm. I installed my old GT 240 card real quick, and still got the occasional freezing, but a lot less frequant than with the 460.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
I'm still not convinced its the cpu at fault. Check your temperatures for your cpu and video card and tell us what they are when playing games and when not playing. You arent describing this freezing too well... Does the whole pc freeze up or are you referring to lag freezing where it runs fine unless something big happens. Could be a score of things causing your problem. In my mind if it was cpu your pc wouldnt even work properly to begin with. Ram your pc wouldnt even stay at desktop for long. Video card, you'd be getting artifacts on your screen.
Well, here's FRAPS recording it. This was quite a while ago, now FRAPS tends to just stop responding whenever I'm recording and the game freezes. Just ran the video real quick through Premiere. The freezing is basically exactly the same on all games. Only if video settings get lowered does it stop; AvP maxed at 1920x1080 freezes a lot, but lower the res to about 1280x720 and the freezing happens a lot less. Only when there's a tonne of activity on screen does it ever freeze.

Freezing a lot when the horde hits.

Last edited by KingOfSentinels; 03-01-2011 at 02:24 AM.
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #15
Alucard

When was the last time you checked your cpu fan to see if it was clogged up with dust?