The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
SuperAngelo64
They call me "Derek G. Wop"

TERA; hit-boxes and dodging? In my MMO?

http://www.tera-online.com/main.php

My dream MMO is finally being developed.

The game features the Phantasy Star 3D games action (combos and movement) + Monster Hunter dodging and know how (hitting enemies in certain places, knocking them down, looking for 'tells') + Eastern RPG atmosphere (aesthetics, music, style).

There is no tab-targeting
Everything is done in real time.
Melee classes play like an Action game and Ranged/Magic classes play like a 3rd person shooter, complete with optional crosshair reticle. The game uses hitboxes and collision.

There are no Evasion or Accuracy stats
If you miss, you miss. One thing I hated about PSO and PSU is that if you hit an enemy and point blank you still had a chance to 'miss'. No more of that shit. Characters with higher 'speed' stats literally move faster. So while a dual-wielding warrior can jump and dodge around, a Berserker wielding a huge axe will hulk around, relying on weapon blocks.

Collision If you get between an enemy and an ally, they'll have to find a way around you. You can't just walk through players and NPCs. Tanking classes can literally 'hold back' foes. Classes like the Lancer can charge a huge boss to push them back.

Completely Open World.
No Zoning, the world is completely seamless.

No Factions
The game uses a 'political' system, where you essentially create your 'own' factions. There are PvP raids, Battlegrounds, etc.

Any Class, Any Race
No Race restrictions on classes. 6 races, and 8 classes.

Controller compatibility
This probably only interests me, but it's a big draw for me. They've stated that the game will be completely compatible with joypads at launch, and is actually suggested for melee classes.

This game went into closed beta in 2009 and isn't being released until Q1 2011, so right now, it's just being spread by word-of-mouth.

And now for some videos. Note that all videos are of low level characters, seeing as the closed beta only goes up to level 20.

Warrior (partnered with Priest)

Sorcerer

Berserker soloing boss

GDC Demo. Some guy explaining stuff about the game.

SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

The game looks fun but it is a shady korean developer wich usually means bad news in terms of continued and timely support to the game content.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
SuperAngelo64

Bluehole (developer) is made up of ex Lineage II developers and En Masse (publisher, localization) has ex-members of Blizzard, and some other big names.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Alucard

Its all good ideas but I dont see it working too well. Star Trek Online for example has a dodge roll to avoid flying grenades etc. Half the time I roll I still get delayed hit. Ping will always be a massive factor in MMO's once you start adding in hit boxes and rolling. I wouldnt get your hopes up too high over it.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #5
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAngelo64 View Post
Tanking classes can literally 'hold back' foes. Classes like the Lancer can charge a huge boss to push them back.
I know I bring up Dark Age of Camelot often, but it is the only mmorpg I've ever played that expanded on what a tank ought to provide for group/realm members. You weren't just a meat shield with a large HP pool and abilities that mitigated melee/ranged damage against friendly targets. For instance, shield-wearing tanks could also block incoming melee/ranged attacks directed at others. I don't recall any other game where the tank had such a diverse utility as in DAoC.

Regarding TERA, I followed it a few months ago. But after all the asian MMOs I've played, and quickly abandoned, I don't have hope for any future releases at all because of the ridiculous content and prerequisites included in past games.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
SuperAngelo64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Its all good ideas but I dont see it working too well. Star Trek Online for example has a dodge roll to avoid flying grenades etc. Half the time I roll I still get delayed hit. Ping will always be a massive factor in MMO's once you start adding in hit boxes and rolling. I wouldnt get your hopes up too high over it.

Star Trek Online is alot different and is actually, while they won't admit it, an afterthought of the Cryptic Engine. I've had a TON of experience alpha and beta testing the Cryptic 2.0 Engine and all of it's flaws, and as a huge Cryptic fanboy for several years I finally left them in the dust.

TERA, however, looks really promising. Many people who've leaked closed beta info says the hit box and collision works perfectly fine unless you are experiencing some horrid shit client-side or running on a weak connection.

I'm getting my hopes up for this one. It's not like there's anything to lose.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
Paper exe
Pwnd

you'll lose your interest and hours of potential entertainment. Listen to Alucard. He put lot of thoughts in to his comments. You may not always see the wisdom behind it but it is there not the less.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
Alucard

This is why paper is MVP to me. He's awesome.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
SuperAngelo64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe View Post
you'll lose your interest and hours of potential entertainment. Listen to Alucard. He put lot of thoughts in to his comments. You may not always see the wisdom behind it but it is there not the less.
I think I'll bite my tongue with this one.

I'll also take it with a pinch of salt since you think all MMOs are a waste of time. You've certainly moved down a few pegs on my 'awesome list'. I'm sure you'll make it up somehow.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
SuperAngelo64

I got into the Focus Group testing.

This game is making me jizz my pants.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

I don't like Korean MMO's so I think I'll avoid this. Only thing I will ever touch from a Korean developer is Guild Wars 2.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachalmighty View Post
I don't like Korean MMO's so I think I'll avoid this. Only thing I will ever touch from a Korean developer is Guild Wars 2.
Firstly, Guild Wars is developed by Arena.Net who are located in Kirkland WA (super close to Seattle/Redmond) and published by NCSoft who is based in Korea, Huge difference.

Secondly, this game reminds me of Risk Your life, a Korean MMO I beta tested that had the same style of gameplay and worked pretty well. Until you tried to PvP, and everything lagged to hell.... In 1v1s. Though this looks to be a bit more stable.

Also keep in mind Alucard, that Japan has been Playing Monster Hunter Frontier for the last 3 years, so it could be possible, but might require extreme instancing which Terra is currently advertising that they don't need that.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
Alucard

I dont trust the japanese when it comes to gaming. They play games solely on franchise strength alone.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Chronos
fuggit

After taking a chance with Aion I'm done with this style of mmo.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee View Post
Firstly, Guild Wars is developed by Arena.Net who are located in Kirkland WA (super close to Seattle/Redmond) and published by NCSoft who is based in Korea, Huge difference.

Secondly, this game reminds me of Risk Your life, a Korean MMO I beta tested that had the same style of gameplay and worked pretty well. Until you tried to PvP, and everything lagged to hell.... In 1v1s. Though this looks to be a bit more stable.

Also keep in mind Alucard, that Japan has been Playing Monster Hunter Frontier for the last 3 years, so it could be possible, but might require extreme instancing which Terra is currently advertising that they don't need that.
Well I mean Korean STYLE MMO