The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #91
Northeastmonk

What was the difference in between versions? I know both HR and Indigo Prophecy have nudity.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #92
Alucard

Quite a bit removed. And my Australian version is untouched. Go figure lol

Quote:
The title of Fahrenheit was changed to Indigo Prophecy in the United States and Canada. The change was made to avoid confusion with the film Fahrenheit 9/11.[6] To avoid an Adults Only (18+) rating, which would have had the game stripped from store shelves, most of the scenes depicting sex (one of which is interactive) and other adult content were removed from the North American versions. An exception is the final sex scene between Carla and Lucas, which was not completely cut from the game, but was shortened by removing the most graphic shots. Though one shot in the edited version is from an angle that should display Carla's nipples, the nipples were removed from her model skin in the edited version.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #93
Northeastmonk

Mafia II – PS3

Mafia II is a very good game. The entire plot is excellent. It is also perfect for those wanting a good mobster story.

Story: You play as Vito Scaletta, an Italian man who grows up in a poor immigrant family trying to make it big after returning from the war. Running dirty jobs for those willing to pay big bucks while at the same time keeping tabs on what is really happening in Empire City. You never know what happens next. I felt a bit attached to some of the characters while others seem like they are just there to keep the gaming moving forward. Which is very good in Mafia II because it has a very giving plot, plus there is a large sense of belonging in the game. After each mission you feel as though you have earned whatever happens next. There are hardly any missions requiring collective gamer work. Meaning most missions revolve around driving (a lot of driving in Mafia II) and getting the job done. The load of content to each cut scene makes the 5-7 minute drive worth while. Clothing stores, gas stations (vehicles need gas after a while), and overall scenario make up the large part of the game outside the main game. I did not seem to find any side missions whatsoever. Which made the game feel short in my opinion.

Gameplay: The basic GTA layout and a simple combat system. You aren’t cycling a whole lot of varieties of weapons here. I went through the entire game without purchasing a single weapon. Combat is fun because the large amounts of bullets tend to destroy the surrounding environments. But overall AI and lack of innovation to combat isn’t there either. Missions and story builds add different elements of gameplay. All which collaborate inside the plot very well. Nothing too large to complain about here outside of the large amounts of driving required for each mission.

Graphics: Excellent. The atmosphere and environment of Empire City looks amazing and character models have some amazing quality to them. There have been some complaints about how fake and weird the females look. Like more work was done on the men rather then the women. Overall everything looks fantastic.

Sound: The sounds, character dialogue, and music are on par with everything in that era.

Score: 9 out of 10

Overall: There are a few minor things I thought kept Mafia II from getting a perfect score. The sense of life inside the game was excellent, but overall appeal toward combat and the world seemed empty once missions were completed.

There are collectable Playboy play mate pictures which are found all over game. These are real naked pictures of women, they are vintage and all. It was just shocking to see them in a video game.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #94
Northeastmonk

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – PS3

The best 3D Castlevania game for those used to the typical format of DMC and NG. The worst parts of this game are specific, mainly no secondary weapon outside what you need to make through the game and no real big Castle, which isn’t bad with this type of game.

Story: The game is about Gabriel, a member of the Brotherhood out to stop the colliding threat of evil. The story is set with many unique changes. Basically your wife is dead and you’re up against knowing who the Lord of Shadows really is. You’re given a huge cliffhanger at the end of the game which any fan of Castlevania should see.

Gameplay: You have two basic attacks, one vertical and the other horizontal. Moves are bought while levels can be played in many different ways in order to level up, gather items, or finish meeting certain criteria. The combat is good. Combos and special magic goes great together, plus a few touches on assist in combat works very well. I really enjoyed dodging attacks and lashing back with deadly combos. QTEs for very epic boss battles are great, some speak to me as being a tad like Shadow of the Colossus, which is fantastic. Puzzles are fun with the game offering help if you’re willing to sacrifice the prize.

Graphics: Amazingly good detail on what’s shown. Even though GOW3 had plenty more detail in ways of creatures and combat, LoS stands pretty high with its selection. The dense atmospheric landscapes stand out with a lot of life and fear.

Sound: Great voice acting and the music is good.

Score: 8.5 out of 10

Summary: A very good ending with excellent combat but it leaves me wondering if it stays true to the Castlevania timeline. I thought very highly of this game with its presentation and combat. I do feel LoS did the combat and creatures way better then Dante’s Inferno. Which is noted because of the lost of interest in past 3D Castlevania games.

Vanquish – PS3

Story: Sam Gideon is a man with a prototype ASR suit from DARPA. Basically a colony/satellite has been taken over by a Russian terrorist. The terrorist a specific place and leaves Sam and his fellow assigned marines against the man behind this attack and his plans to destroy the US. Very basic but good storyline which tears at you the moment you realize it and literally needs a sequel necessarily to complete the games plot.

Gameplay: The ASR suit can boost at real fast speeds and at many intervals of moves can slow down time and allow Sam the ability to fly through the air sending enemies flying. Weapons are great once you get them upgraded by using them over and over. With fast paced gun battles and the ability to move around the combat zone anyway you like is very rewarding. Boss battles are very fun and while the game starts off a tad repetitive, you’re simply reminded that Sam isn’t holding a sword. Gun combat comes at taking cover and knowing how to move past objects in slow motion or at full throttle. Basically using all that’s given to you is enough to consider buying this game. I guess the reason to pass on this game would have been the lack of enjoyment in what it offers to you from the start. I put it down a few times on the count that the story and combat situations were never matching up. But once I got to that previously mentioned learning curve I began to sink into this game like any other great action game. Another thing to point out is repetitive enemies you encounter. Though there are “Elite” versions, you’re basically fighting the same type of enemies until you reach the epic boss battles.

Graphics: Platinum Studios does it right when it comes to the combat arena. You’re given a beautiful open scenario and it is up to you to enjoy it. Combat grounds get full of gunfight and action.

Sound: Great. Somehow felt the music was being played way too over the dialogue, but the characters felt welcomed most of the time. I felt that some of the dialogue that takes place within the ASR suit felt long and drawn out, like “I want to skip this and find something to fight” sort of problem.

Score: 8.5 out of 10

It is hard to compare how much fun I had once I learned the controls in Vanquish, but the balance of power and overall “boss” potential came just at the right times it should of. Vanquish is a pretty difficult game with lots of fun to be had after the game ends, but if you’re interested and are not sure getting into Vanquish right away then I recommend picking up Bayonetta. I’ve really enjoyed both action games from Platinum Studios.

Halo: Reach – XBOX360

I remember buying Halo Combat Evolved after selling the vast majority of my game collection (which included a week old brand new GC) just to buy an Xbox console and Halo: CE. But after loving and hating the series for years, who knew I’d rekindle my relationship with the XBOX again after watching Reach’s trailer at the VGAs. Halo Reach is a game I enjoyed a lot but like always left me screaming for something new. But the end (who knows, really?) does come at a good price.

Story: Basically what everyone says is true, a prequel with lots of life to it. You play as Noble 6 a Spartan out of many who are on Reach until the original Halo storyline begins. Everything in the story felt perfectly adjusted, no more H2’s endless landscapes or H3’s journey through the woods. The entire time you feel like a Spartan sent to stop whatever is happening on Reach. I guess it was such a large build from Halo 1 to now until the lore just would not stick with me as much its similar concept does in other games. Nonetheless this series has made a name for itself doing whatever with whoever it wishes.
Halo Reach has a story that fits with its premise, you feel the sadness, triumph, and pressure as with previous versions of the game. So don’t feel left out unless you’re looking for a long campaign, which HR does not seem to carry with it.

Gameplay: Same basic style but more polish. The old life system is back from Combat Evolved with a charge meter and numerous upgrades to reuse and have lots of fun with. The set of weapons in Reach impressed me a lot, but not the shotgun (which seems rather useless unlike its predecessors). I don’t do too much multiplayer anymore, but I did get a chance to try it on Live. All the matches felt the same, but polished. If you’re looking for multiplayer news then trust that its fun and Firefight mode is really nice with the medal system attached to it.

Graphics: Awesome environments with just the right amount of Halo lure to them.

Sound: Great, no more repetitive anthems to adjust your TVs volume to. On a pale white horse was great back in the day, this is well more soothing if you ask me.

Score: 10 out of 10, a strong perfect score for one who left the series before becoming an addict. I do want to say thank you to Bungie for making Halo.

Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light – NDS

I could not get into this game at all. The story seems okay, but combat and character design leave me either wanting to throw something or get my money back. The game is basically a journey of a boy becoming a man. But the combat feels off balance and does not offer the same experience as with traditional turned based watered down FF RPG, if any truly exist. You’re attacks are very simple and easy to use, but instead of MP there is an Action Point Battle System. Where you are forced to charge up points for various attacks at the same time having your Psyche (same ability from DQ) automatically cast on you. The difficulty is there, but overall appeal and likeness is far from what I enjoy. I do not recommend this game at all.
Score: NA
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #95
CongoJack
me fail english thats unpossible

Nice reviews as always. One thing I noted in comparing the two action titles, Vanquish and LoS, LoS did something every other action game doesn't do. Not reuse the same enemy models the entire time. Having to not fight the same 6 enemies for an entire action game made me enjoy LoS a good bit more than Vanquish, even though Vanquish had the better combat system.
CongoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #96
Northeastmonk

Call of Duty: BLACK OPS – XBOX360

Pros
A main character driven war game
Handful of weapons to chose from
Multiple locations offers variety over course of the game's linear path.

Cons
Another war game
Some parts feel just like fillers
No real replay value
Not once did I find the knives or RC car from the trailers in the campaign.

Story: A really good storyline and also psychologically disturbing at the same time. The main character was a great addition, which along with it added different elements of war to each scenario. You play as a man named Mason, who is being questioned by a group of people who want answers about a series of numbers that you were brainwashed into memorizing. You’re basically reliving Mason’s past through historical events like the Cuba Missile Crisis, the Vietnam War, and some added scenarios around the world. The game has a very good twist at the end that makes the whole experience shocking to say the least.

Gameplay: The game plays like previous CODs but with all the new elements added to make the game feel fresh and exciting. The arsenal of weapons is huge and the story’s action sequences feel right at home with the newly aging genre. Honestly; some of the vehicles are hard to control, but the theme of realism might play to this mechanic.

Graphics: Great, nothing lacking here. The Pentagon looks fantastic! Too bad you can’t roam the grounds.

Sound: Everything is in the manner it should be, having JFK there was cool.

Score: 9.5 out of 10
Old 12-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #97
Northeastmonk

Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood – XBOX360

Pros
The campaign adds more to the main AC storyline
Rome is large and heavily detailed
The Brotherhood aspect works great
Some new objectives during free roaming.

Cons
Ezio’s story may feel a bit much after AC2
Content feels like DLC at times
Same mechanics and side offerings seem old and redundant
The fighting engine does not feel totally upgraded.

Story: Ezio travels from his luscious mansion hideout from Assassin’s Creed 2 to Rome. The story picks up right where you left Ezio in AC2 with a man after Ezio and his friends. The plot is set around keeping a very powerful secret away from the hands of a madman and the Templars. This involves Ezio and the brotherhood of Assassin’s keeping the peace within their world. There are a very few twist to the story, but the conclusion adds detail that should not be missed if you are looking forward to AC3. Missions are mainly about Ezio gathering his band of Assassin’s while Desmond tries to find new information into Ezio’s life. There is quite a big of gameplay with Desmond in Brotherhood then the past titles. It makes you feel that he truly is a descendent and not a guy viewing these memories. But these areas seem rather repetitive and poorly put together. There are also a few times where the story made little progress and events occurring seemed pointless or confusing.

Gameplay: Everything seems to have stayed the same from Assassin’s Creed 2. New finishing moves and a crossbow were a few things that stood out. All the additions that stood out in AC2 are there, but they are not as exciting in Brotherhood (upgrades, weapons, uniform colors, but hidden puzzles don’t seem to be in the mix,). I only upgraded a few times to progress through the story. This made me feel like it could have been part of AC2.
There are now sections cut off for Ezio to take control of. You basically have to kill a section’s leader and ignite the tower within that region. This is a lot of fun. The Brotherhood aspect is also very cool. You can recruit men and women to join your ranks, this is basically a call button that helps you out if you need to make a silent kill where you cannot quite seem to access. There is a lot of running around and you rarely feel like you are traveling away from Rome, but as if you’re just crossing a river bed to another part of Rome.

Graphics: Amazing detail to Rome. You can feel the economy changes with the addition of banks and a new architect feature that allows you to restore and build buildings. The only things I felt were missing were the theatrical events happening throughout the game. (EX: fireworks during the party in AC2). Events seem scripted without fine detail. And again the amount of detail in Desmond’s portion of the game feels great, but his environments get very repetitive.

Sound: Great vocals. I really enjoy the dialogue in the AC2 compilation.

Score: 8 out of 10

Summary: Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood is good, but it’s so much of the same thing. The setting and the added content to this complex storyline are worth picking it up sometime before AC3 comes out. But don’t be surprised if you feel a bit overwhelmed with going through another 15 hour adventure with Ezio because it feels a bit under par AC2. However; they do add a few things that make it worth checking out. The Brotherhood storyline is not the most breathtaking thing out on the market, but it does help you feel closer to what’s going to happen next.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #98
Northeastmonk

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn – Nintendo DS

Pros
An enjoyable 25-30 hour long JRPG
Great representation
Motion storybooks inform players on previous entries in the series.

Cons
Way too easy
No obvious side-quest system, only hidden secrets found within the world.
Conversations over minor things last longer then they should.
The plot

The third installment in the Golden Sun series, or Golden Sun DS for those like me who got into the series way past it’s prime is remarkably one of the easiest JRPG’s I have ever played. To be completely honest to someone who does not understand what mainstream reviews are saying; if you can defeat any mid-game or status effecting boss from a Final Fantasy entry then you have basically conquered the amount of difficulty that Golden Sun: Dark Dawn has to offer. Considering how easy it is, the game does offer a lot exploration on the world map.

Story: You play as the children from the previous Golden Sun games. You’re quest begins by sheer accident and continues down the same repetitive path until you reach the somewhat basic concept of what is found in JRPGS. The main plot feels better represented by titles in the past (ex: Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, FFVI). Much of the original Golden Sun storyline is used to guide you through Dark Dawn. Basically you’re small quest leads you to fighting against a traditional group of villains after a secret that’s been buried away for many years.

Gameplay: Dijinns are back and are used as powerful weapons to equip characters with even more abilities. You also can use their abilities to conjure summons found within the game. Along the way you also use powers to move objects and go through each area and puzzles with new and innovative ways to solve. There is a lot of great environmental pacing found throughout the world. But boss battles were incredibly easy, considering how easy it was to recover a downed party member. My party eventually had to grind because I kept wanting to press on instead of power leveling, so I took about 30 minutes and grinded around 10 levels. This sounds like I am ranting, but honestly the game made it so easy to grind towards the end, until the last series of events seemed disappointing and rather silly compared to say the sheer amount of content and difficulty that was featured in the earlier released DragonQuest IX. And I cannot see new players truly happy with this content, considering how much it grabs onto the previous titles for structure. But there is an encyclopedia and guides in game for those who want to understand everything. Here’s hoping the next entry does a better job.

Graphics: Great quality here, but not as much glamour that was in DQ9 (which feels a lot larger in size, when comparing the two). The summon attacks look great. But you can skip through each one if you get sick of them.

Sound: The annoying quirky squeak during conversations does get old, but there is an option to turn them off and speed up the seemingly endless amount of chatter. Like the titles before, there is a ton of dialogue.

Overall: If you enjoyed the GBA titles, then pick this up sometime before they release another. I honestly felt they could of done a better job on this. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is a lot of fun, but the lack of an engrossing plot and the lack of difficulty took more of a toll then I had imagined.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #99
GrantXP

Good to see someone else that actually updates the reviews section of this forum. AC: B and COD: BO are 2 titles that I want to pick up cheaply in the future when I have played more of the games I have. Although you say no replay value. I tend to play it on hardcore then veteran. I'm guessing you either went straight for vet or just couldnt be bothered with it...
Grant's latest reviews - Click Here Latest Review: Bioshock (Xbox 360)
GrantXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #100
Alucard

I only played the first Golden Sun. Never played the second since they didnt looklike they would release the third. I need to find a chance to play 2 again. Not like I'll remember anything that happened in the first except some vague memories of caves and a ship at the very end. Story? NO IDEA!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #101
Northeastmonk

Dead Space 2 – PS3

Pros
Great action sequences add a new level of gameplay
Satisfying campaign (Dead Space 3?)
More sense of terror in zero gravity
No more subway-level transport

Cons
Story is about the same, but with a lot more flavor
They took some good updates out for some clever, but junky new ones

I was drawn into Dead Space 2 the moment I put it in, so much that I played for eight hours straight and got to finish it sometime there after (Normal Mode). I enjoyed the original Dead Space because you were trapped in space and you were the only person witnessing these somewhat catastrophic anomalies taking place. Dead Space 2 takes the same mechanics, but updates them quite a bit in the sequel.

Story: Isaac Clark is forced to live and dwell on the events that took place in the original. Basically the same problems are happening because you have no idea what is going on with the new series of events (the necromorphs and the marker). I enjoyed how the story builds on a lot of action sequences and how well the dramatic character development is. You feel that there is another helping hand, but you’re still stuck doing everything important and by yourself. Isaac is a lot more open and prompt to what’s going on. Which adds to every detail within the game.

Gameplay: Dead Space 2 throws you in huge environments (no need for maps!). There are ways to utilize being in zero gravity. You no longer thrust horizontally and vertically. You can use the jet packs on your boots. This was one of my favorite new features added to Dead Space 2. The weapons on the other hand did not seem that useful. I only bought one other weapon because you’re constantly dieing. It’s very hard if you run and gun because it can leave you at a dead end. However; there seems to be less boss battles and more gigantic obstacles to overcome in Dead Space 2, which basically equals each other out.
There also seemed be less suit options available, the few changes made were mainly to weapons and the gameplay mechanics. Which isn’t bad considering it’s not a new IP and it has a completely new environment to explore. In terms of size, it makes the original look rather small. Whatever backtracking you do in Dead Space 2, the game does pretty well. Or at least it doesn’t keep you there for long. This is one of the very few games I’ve seen pull it off. But that’s if are a fan of Dead Space.

Graphics: Great graphics, superb sense of detail. This adds so much to the shock and awe factor. I believe the art stylist from The Matrix series helped with the original, but I’m not too sure on the sequel. Everything looks great.

Sound:
Great.

Overall: You get to shoot body parts off of mutated humans and get to explore a larger area then before. But don’t get too thrilled if you aren’t a fan of the series. Because its not there to hold your hand if you’re looking for a story to build from scratch or a sudden change of appeal.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #102
Nem
Smash bro!

I read some of your reviews. Just wanted to say about Nier, that Nier replicant aint a sequal to Nier. Its the PS3 version of the game wich only got released in Japan. The only difference it had was that the main character was younger and Yonah was his sister instead of daughter.

Sadly the chances the game will get a sequal are quite slim since Cavia has been shut down, but you never know...

I do agree with the points on your review. The weapon upgrade system wasnt great and was way too grindy. The fishing and farming mini-games were there just so u could get 100% complete (since some side-quests require it) and a couple of achievements. The other point to it was to get easy money so u could upgrade your weapons but it wasnt really necessary
Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #103
Northeastmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
I read some of your reviews. Just wanted to say about Nier, that Nier replicant aint a sequal to Nier. Its the PS3 version of the game wich only got released in Japan. The only difference it had was that the main character was younger and Yonah was his sister instead of daughter.

Sadly the chances the game will get a sequal are quite slim since Cavia has been shut down, but you never know...

I do agree with the points on your review. The weapon upgrade system wasnt great and was way too grindy. The fishing and farming mini-games were there just so u could get 100% complete (since some side-quests require it) and a couple of achievements. The other point to it was to get easy money so u could upgrade your weapons but it wasnt really necessary
Yeah, when I got my copy of XIII, an advertisement showed a younger FATHER for replicant, so I assumed it was a totally different game.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #104
Northeastmonk

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West – XBOX360

Pros
Great cinematics
Level design is grreat as well

Cons
Not enough moves for Monkey
Ending is strange

Team Ninja’s prior title Heavenly Sword seemed to lack in terms of satisfying combat mechanics, but in Enslaved you are offered a better feel to combat, but with less moves to work with.

Story: You play as Monkey, a man left in slavery who begins to work with a woman named Trip to help her get back home. She has control over Monkey with a headband that allows her to control him, or she can kill him. You encounter obstacles that either add to the story or mix with the plot. The plot does add its fare share or twist, but only one real big one. The story has its faults, but the amount of things going on (plane crashes, operating machinery, boss battles/chases, and targets to shoot at) that make it very enjoyable.

Gameplay: Monkey’s bow staff is used to fight these mechanical creatures. There are only a handful of moves, maybe two different actual combos and a few special attacks. But you are very limited in this part. However; you do have a lot of fun with his weapon and it also shoots two different types of projectiles. The game is combat heavy with a lot of climbing and obstacle jumping. It does have great level design and boss battles/locations are easy to sit back and enjoy.

Graphics: Very nice. There is a mixture of machine versus forest look to everything. It almost reminds me a lot of the machine junk yard from Champions of Norath. The cutscenes/graphics have great quality to them. You feel like are watching a movie only because the characters work well together and look great at the same time.

Sound: Great, everyone has plenty of character to them as well as a decent soundtrack.

Overall: There just wasn’t enough to the combat system to say this was one of the better action games. It does not come close to half the games to come out prior to its release. You get very bored with the combat after a while, which is better once you mix all his selected abilities in any awkward manner. Enslaved is great to watch because the plot is fast and easy to enjoy. Climbing is also a lot of fun, but it seems to get repetitive with the same type of structural patterns to follow. My advice would be to rent it or buy it used.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #105
Northeastmonk

KillZone 3 - PlayStation 3

Pros
Great graphics
Right amount of difficulty needed to any FPS
Jet packs are a lot of fun to use

Cons
Story will have to be told in the next installment
Few new enemies

I enjoyed the first two and the third installment brings a lot of great things like various combat situations and amazing visual appeal

Story: You're fighting the Helghast again, but this time you're up against their military commander. The different environments are great to play through, though the closed in atmosphere is the most enjoying. There is a ton of full scale combat, so the story is told while progressing from where the combat goes. And I wasn't too impressed with the ending to KZ3, it makes me feel a bit left out (comparing it to KZ2). There is more added to the gameplay, everythings cut and pasted right, but the sheer amount of time spent chasing one scene to the next seems like it does not add up to a completed game. Like I'm going to have to get the 4th installment to know what happens next.

Gameplay: Great gameplay and controls. Switching to alternative controls made zooming a lot more easier then pressing R3. The same mechanics are back with the addition of jet packs. Which are great to use. Vast portions of the game feels uncontrollable for various war zone scenarios, but that doesn't stop any intense combat zones from making their appearance.

Graphics: Top notch on scaled battles. This probably tops Resistance 2 in terms of scale.

Sound: Great.

Overall: The gameplay is great and the addition of Helghast assassins are great. But overall I couldn't help but feel any reason to play through it again. I'd say rent this one or get it used down the road.