The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #736
javi

I thought Columbia Pictures owned the Spiderman movies.
Other Shows Watching: Arrow, The Blacklist, Doctor Who, Fear The Walking Dead, The Flash, Gotham, Into the Badlands, Once Upon a Time, The Walking Dead
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #737
Drunken Savior

Derp, you're right.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #738
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CongoJack View Post
uhh I'm gonna call you out on this one man. Even the characters in Thor were better in the Avengers. As Avengers was the most action packed of all the marvel movies they have made and had very little downtime throughout the film.
Have to disagree with that. There was quite a bit of downtime in the first half of the movie.

Saw it today and have mixed feelings about it. I always feel like Joss Whedon writes for characters rather than plot - RTD did the same thing on Doctor Who, and I just don't like that style of writing. I didn't like Mark Ruffalo as Banner and I thought they did a shit job with Hawkeye. He was a bland nobody in this movie. At least the movie didn't turn into Black Widow the Loki Slayer like I was expecting it to.

The interaction between Thor, Cap and Iron Man was good though, as was Loki.

The Chitaura (spelling?) were also lame. I'm a comics fan and I didn't even know who they were, I had to go look it up. Alternate dimension Skrulls? That's fucking lame. And I kept thinking those giant flying creatures looked like the giant monsters from Demons Souls. Atlus should sue!

Also, Banner turning into the Hulk instantly because "he's always angry" was completely out of character. Lame.

One thing - if I had to make a bet, I bet they turn Agent Coulson into Vision for the next movie.

It wasn't bad, but I knew going in that Whedon's writing was going to bug me, and it did. Not a terrible movie, but not a great one either. I just watched the most recent episode of Avengers EMH with the Guardians of the Galaxy (!) when I got home and that was better.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #739
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

That did annoy me too Banner doing a insta-transformation like that, and the hulk being more "ape-like" seemed odd. Your complaints about the chitauri is valid, I myself thought it served its purpose well, this is the movie-verse not 616, but your entitled to your opinion on that.

However your comment about Black widow the Loki slayer is completely unfounded and almost discredits you imo. I never understand why people don't like Whedon, the guy made a comic movie, however many liberties it took(many), respected the source material, can't say that about other movies that have come out.

You have to remember that the avengers is a character driven comic book, like the x-men, and obviously with Whedon having such a successful run on Astonishing makes him a shoe-in for this movie. Look at his track record. It speaks for itself.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #740
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Banner was able to turn into Hulk whenever he wanted to in the comics, not sure about now, but he's split from Hulk in the comics right now.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #741
Alucard

I agree 100% with everything Einhander said. Had the exact same thoughts on all those points. The only thing that surprised me is Whedon didnt write in his token Whedon character, the snarky smart mouthed character whos usually a computer geek. Theres one in almost every show he's done.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #742
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah in the comics during the intellengcia/red hulk arc, Banner reached a sort of "duande" with his inner demons and was able to consciously control the Hulk as Banner ala Secret Wars, not as Professor Hulk.

unfortunately that is to be short lived due to some prick at marvel who wanted to do yet ANOTHER separation arc. This time Doom performed the brain surgery that split them up, and it was actually the hulk that wanted it done in the first place. Now your saying Kiuju2k, didn't you just say that Banner finally perfected being the Hulk as Banner? To that I say, I don't fuckin know what's going on at Marvel Comics.

Anyway Banner goes insane and tries to recreate the gamma bomb accident, only to go homicidal and try to kill Hulk, with Hulk killing Banner in the same explosion that brought them together. Lame.

Zechin
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #743
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

I seriously want to know who you think could have done a better job on a movie with such a huge collaboration between actors. I don't think it is going to get any better guys. He is a fan of the comics and wrote something in the spirit of that.

What do you want from it? Do you want Nolan to make the movie? Do you want his brother to write the script? You want a "Dark" Avengers. You have got to remember that you can't have a movie of this kind take itself too seriously and at the same time not be X-men movie(crappy). When you make comic movies like those, they try to be something that they aren't and end up sucking balls. Maybe the Nolan Batman movies are the exception to this due to huge blockbuster sales, but honestly as Batman movies they suck.

Zechin
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #744
Einhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiuju2k View Post
However your comment about Black widow the Loki slayer is completely unfounded and almost discredits you imo.
How? He relies on the same schtick over and over again. I was surprised he *didn't* do it again.

Quote:
Look at his track record. It speaks for itself.
I did. That's why I was disappointed he directed this movie. I guess I should at least be glad Brett Ratner (who did X-Men 3) didn't get it, but it's not that much better. Or Zack Snyder. *shudder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I agree 100% with everything Einhander said. Had the exact same thoughts on all those points.
First Darren agrees with me, now Alucard? OMG 2012 *IS* THE APOCALYPSE!

Quote:
What do you want from it? Do you want Nolan to make the movie? Do you want his brother to write the script? You want a "Dark" Avengers.
No, I just want someone who writes a good plot *as well as* good dialogue.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #745
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

I mean certainly there is someone that you have in mind that can do a better job? I frankly do not see anyone who could. What kind of story were you looking for in your Avengers movie seeing as you are an avid comic book reader. Don't worry you won't go over my head or anything , just point out to me the subtle intricacies that you are looking for in your story.

It tickles me that when I read and hear things like this and it's from people who have never picked up a comic book in their life(not saying you). When you gather a team like the Avengers what kind of story would you need to gather a group of heroes against a common enemy?

Don't say X-2. Singer clearly with 20/20 hindsight, was not the man for that job. Remember in comics books the recurring theme you need to remember is villains typically play king of the hill until the hero knocks them off (This was another problem that I saw with Singer's Superman Returns and X movies).

Also I will say Whedon's track record for commercial success. He may not have had Tv shows outside of Buffy and Angel that went on longer than 2 seasons, but he has a great record this year with both The Avengers and Cabin in the woods. I am just starting to think all the Whedon hating comes from Alien fans I swear.

Zechin
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #746
Einhander

Quote:
I mean certainly there is someone that you have in mind that can do a better job? I frankly do not see anyone who could.

Don't say X-2. Singer clearly with 20/20 hindsight, was not the man for that job.
I haven't read comics in a long time but was an avid comics reader growing up. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head, because there are lots of directors who don't necessarily write the screenplays, so it would be a matter of finding the right combination.

Why not say X-2? It was a great movie. So was the first one. And why wasn't he the right man for the job? That's crazy talk!

And yes, Superman Returns was quite terrible.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #747
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

I don't want to troll, but I thought X-2 was horrible and just as bad as 3. X-1, like all first movies, I give the benefit of the doubt. But, as a movie in this specific genre you need to not be afraid of what your movie is, a comic book movie. What they were sourcing was real heavy subject matter within the comics world and to go into it half hearted which I believe he did.

Anyway, you can believe and have your opinions of course, but be prepared to get called out. If you had said this for like Thor or Iron Man 2, then I would have pretty much agreed with you, both movies were ok, but not this one.

Zechin
Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #748
Einhander

Quote:
I don't want to troll, but I thought X-2 was horrible and just as bad as 3. X-1, like all first movies, I give the benefit of the doubt. But, as a movie in this specific genre you need to not be afraid of what your movie is, a comic book movie. What they were sourcing was real heavy subject matter within the comics world and to go into it half hearted which I believe he did.

Anyway, you can believe and have your opinions of course, but be prepared to get called out. If you had said this for like Thor or Iron Man 2, then I would have pretty much agreed with you, both movies were ok, but not this one.
So.....you're calling me me out for my personal tastes, then claiming Whedon is perfect for the job (and that Singer is not) simply based on your own personal tastes.

That's silly, but I come to expect it when Whedon cultists see anything bad said about their leader. They instantly get pissy and froth at the mouth, no matter how reasonable you are.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #749
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Quote:
That's silly, but I come to expect it when Whedon cultists see anything bad said about their leader. They instantly get pissy and froth at the mouth, no matter how reasonable you are.

Uhm, yeah that's pretty much what I do whenever I hear anything bad about Whedon. Because it's never justified, I don't buy the dialogue excuse, but as you said, it is personal taste, and I don't agree with it so naturally I am going to say something.

Zechin
Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #750
Einhander

So why was Singer not perfect for X-Men? And don't say Whedon, clearly with 20/20 hindsight, he is not the man for that job.