The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 07-12-2019, 02:09 AM   #1
Rubeus

TurboGrafx-16 Mini / PC-Engine Mini Launches In March With 50-ish Games

This is the only Mini system with both Japaneses and English games, wonder if games like Snatcher will have English option?

Quote:
TurboGrafx-16 Mini Launches In March With 50-ish Games

You’ll be able to complete the trifecta of tiny 16-bit throwback systems on March 19, 2020, when Konami releases the TurboGrafx-16 Mini. It’ll include Dracula X, Bonk’s Revenge, Gradius and many more games, including many Japanese exclusives.

Konami said today that it will sell the device exclusively through Amazon, with preorders opening up on Monday, July 15 during the online retailer’s “Prime Day” promotion. The U.S. will get the TurboGrafx-shaped device shown above, while Japan will get a version modeled after the PC Engine and Europe’s model will be styled after the CoreGrafx revision. No price has been announced for the U.S. model, but the Japanese one will cost 10,500 yen or around $100.

Click for full size

The game library will be almost identical across all three systems, including 24 American versions of games and 26 Japanese versions. There is a little bit of overlap between the two—for example, both the U.S. and Japanese versions of the action RPG Neutopia are included. That means it’s not quite 50 games total, but it’s still a rich lineup, which even includes CD-ROM games and some games from the Japanese SuperGrafx system.

It’s an interesting mix for sure, even including some untranslated, text-heavy games like Snatcher. Working Designs’ first two games Parasol Stars and Cadash are on the list, too, and so is the extremely rare shmup Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire.

Here’s the whole lineup for the TurboGrafx Mini:

American games:
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness (Nectaris)
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

Japanese PC Engine games:
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

https://kotaku.com/turbografx-16-min...mes-1836300247

Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 02:43 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
So, I don't have to import if I want all the games? both region versions have all the same games? Color me surprised.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Hagane
Unlucky dog

I'm actually surprised that konami took a right choice for a change.

Not at all satisfied with that line up, there could have been far better choices but as usual is not possible to please everyone.

I'm interested.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
Rubeus

Although I don't understand why they make the TG16 Mini so big? It's almost twice the size of the SNES Mini.

Also, is this multitap just a regular USB hub?

Old 07-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I wish they would make these things work with the original physical media.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:55 AM   #6
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Will Snatcher be in English? The answer is likely no, unless they still have the text from the Sega CD translation and dumped that in there, but even that seems like it would be too much work for them. I doubt even Rondo will be in English and that has been fully translated by Konami themselves. We'll see, I guess.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:14 AM   #7
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMaphisto View Post
I wish they would make these things work with the original physical media.
Would be nice, but I know for the SNES classic, a 3rd party did make a pin connector port so it can play original SNES games on it. Not sure how great it works tho.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #8
Rubeus

Turbografx-16 Mini / PC Engine Mini Might Have More Than 50 Games

If that's case then it would be the mini console with the most games packed in, I would definitely get one.

Valis Trilogy, Monster Land, Monster Lair, Exile, Legend of heroes, Cosmic Fantasy series, Son Son and even Street Fighter 1 would be nice addition.

Quote:
The Turbografx-16 Mini, PC Engine Mini, And PC Engine CoreGrafx Might Have More Than 50 Games

News on the games lineup of the TurboGrafx-16 mini, PC Engine mini, and PC Engine CoreGrafx mini released this week, but Japanese fans haven’t been too happy, as the PC Engine mini is missing games like the Tengai Makyou series, and more. However, it seems that there might be more on the way, just unannounced. [Thanks, Gosokkyu!]

According to Japanese user Satoshin, who went to a PC Engine mini demo event this week (evidence here), the producer for the mini console was present at the event, and so he gave feedback that the PC Engine mini in its current state. He argued that currently the PC Engine mini is not much more than a Konami archive of games previously released as Virtual Console or digital releases, as well as whether it was intentional that there were no Namco games included in the lineups as well. The producer answered that there is “a very good chance” that there will be more than the 50 announced titles.

Apart from this, there are some other hints that have popped up, such as how the official press release states that 50 titles are announced without stating that it is ‘50 titles total (全50本), and the fact that most of the fan-requested titles have yet to be announced at all. Red Entertainment has also tweeted about the mini console, commenting that Bonk and Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire have been announced, and more importantly, to look forward to future updates. Red Entertainment are the IP holders for the Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden series.

While nothing is outright confirmed until it’s announced, we have seen prior mini consoles do this tactic in the past, such as the SNES Mini with 20+1 games (Star Fox 2), and the upcoming Genesis Mini was announced to have 40 games before announcing 2 extra games with Tetris and Darius. It wouldn’t be surprising to see the same thing happen here.

TurboGrafx-16 mini, PC Engine mini, and PC Engine CoreGrafx mini release on March 19, 2020, exclusively through Amazon Japan for 10,500 yen each. Pre-orders go live on July 15, 2019 at 12:00am JST.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/07/1...than-50-games/

Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 AM   #9
Hagane
Unlucky dog

And no namco games?

Disappointing...

But yeah it would be awesome if it happens.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #10
spider-prime

Be cool if I didn't have to hack the system to get the best exclusive games or games that play the best on it.

Now, lets wonder what the next classic/mini console will be next.

Nintendo will probably do N64 or Gameboy next. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the remodeled SNES/NES systems with different games on them.

I would love a sega Saturn classic. Only sega system I never owned.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #11
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
Be cool if I didn't have to hack the system to get the best exclusive games or games that play the best on it.

Now, lets wonder what the next classic/mini console will be next.

Nintendo will probably do N64 or Gameboy next. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the remodeled SNES/NES systems with different games on them.

I would love a sega Saturn classic. Only sega system I never owned.
Sega saturn with virtua cop games was probably my best gaming memories from my youth up there with ff7 and a few others. I have my old sega saturn sitting in a display case right now with virtua cop 2 in the disc drive. I almost want to get an old crt tv just to see if it still works or not.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #12
Rubeus

There maybe no mini consoles for 32-bit systems, games with 3D graphics don't age well, they generally look horrible comparing to 2D games. The games on PS1 were good examples.