The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

HP laptops have a lot of problems. Some are perfect, like all brands can get, whereas a line of them have a quite well-known problem with over-heating, and can lead to them not lasting long at all. I used to work at a computer store and we did repairs, and we got HP and Acer laptops in all the time with problems, they were the most common. All depends on the model though, as I said in the original post.

Also found:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/l...-win-hp-fails/
Old 06-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Drunken Savior

Those charts are from 2009. While I'm not saying the trend hasn't necessarily continued, I'd hesitate to make decisions based exclusively on that.

However, having said that. I think we can both agree that looking at Toshiba's might be in Einhander's best interest first. Not to discount Asus, but I haven't had any real first hand experiences playing with their machines for an extended period of time. Except for netbooks, which I found to be very nice.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Here's another one then from 2011, basically echoing exactly the same thing the 2009 one did. For 'Any Significant Problems', and 'Satisfaction with Reliability' HP is pegged below average compared to other brands, and average for the rest. Asus, on the other hand, is above average on both of those things.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24441...ooks_rule.html

Asus really is a great manufacturer, I always buy Asus brand graphics cards and motherboards. Their laptops are built brilliantly and they're always well-priced too, I posted one of theirs on Newegg further up. Can always rely on Asus for quality.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
Drunken Savior

That's a consumer opinion poll. Hardly a scientific process. Your 2009 link was done by a 3rd party warranty (Squaretrade). Not trying to say HPs are good, but those links are far from solid evidence. In fact, since they cup Apple's balls, it should give people like you and I pause for thought.

Lulz, I can say, from first hand experience that Apple's are just horrible. I don't know why they rate them so high. The hardware might be solid, but their batteries are horrible and expensive (My replacement is just over a year old and it's already telling me it needs to be replaced) and their power adapters are just horrible. Horrible to the point that there is currently a class action lawsuit that Apple lost and is having to currently pay off those who bought replacements. I've gone through 4 of them since 2007. The cockblocked me when I confronted them by bringing 3 broken power adapters into their store, asking for a new one because I thought it was fair of them to compensate a customer for a forth after buying two replacements.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
Alucard

Its not just about brands, its about the model of the brand. Just think up what specs you'd like the laptop to have, do a search on a computer store site like newegg or whatever on all with those specific specs, like cpu speed , screen size, or video card, then look up reviews for each one you're interested in or post the models here. You cant just blindly buy a brand.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #21
Drunken Savior

Exactly. Like I said earlier, do your homework. Read useful reviews, learn how to pick out legitimate problems and follow trends.

Virtually all my hardware searches begin at newegg. Select the features you want, find machines within your price range, check reviews. Then expand past newegg and find more reviews, look for trends on other forums such as tom's hardware (though that's more for desktops than laptops).

tl;dr We can give you suggestions, but you need to look up some information on your own.

Here's some features and other things to consider:

Gaming - Not all games require a dedicated graphics card in the machine. There are plenty of fun games you can play with an integrated graphics card such as Bastion or even Portal 2 (Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher). Some of those games are better suited for shorter (~30m) spans of gaming at, say, an airport while waiting for a flight.

Dedicated number pad - I like these since I do a lot of numerical work. However if you don't use the number pad on your home PC often, then I wouldn't bother.

USB inputs - How many do you need? Think of what accessories you might want to use that would require them (charging a phone, external mouse, thumbdrive or other storage, controller....). Also USB 3.0 is becoming more and more commonplace. I have a 6 slots on my tower and I love them. HOWEVER, what you plug into them must be USB 3.0 complaint or there will be no benefits over USB 2.0.

Screen - I fucking hate glossy screens. I guess they provide richer colors, but the glare just pisses me off. The trade off for less vibrant colors and no glare is worth it to me. Is it to you? Also, make sure the screen is at least 1280p. Most are, but some aren't...and their price ranges are attractive...avoid the siren's call to be a cheapass. A problem is that sometimes this isn't explicitly said in tech specs, so do a search for 'glossy' or 'matte' in reviews to see if a user mentions it.

Weight - Derp, carrying a brick around sucks.

Heat - Machines with bad ventilation are just asking for trouble.

HDMI output - It's nice to just plug a laptop into a HDMI display, such as a TV. I do this a lot to watch movies or Skype with a group.

BluRay v Superdrive - BluRay drives are getting cheaper. If you have a machine that can do HDMI out AND has a bluray drive, then you'll have a portable BluRay machine. This isn't as much of a price upgrade as you might think. But be warned, all legal Windows BluRay playing softare (e.g. Power DVD) are horrible. I don't know if VLC will gain the ability to play Bluray movies soon but I think that's due to the DRM contained within BluRay discs themselves.

Upgradability - What is the maximum you can upgrade the RAM to? Can you swap out the HDD for something larger?

Replacements - See how much it costs to replace things like the battery or power adapter. (Fuck you, Apple)

Nub vs Trackpad - Some people prefer the nub still and want to have the option to use it instead of the trackpad.

Avoid Hype - Don't overpay for a laptop because it has, for instance, Beats by Dre or something stupid like that.

Bloatware - Virtually all laptops come with software the brand installed on it after they installed Windows. It sucks. Worth checking out.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:

Last edited by Drunken Savior; 06-08-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Apple users rate them so high because they have to defend why they paid x3 for something inferior. My friend had one and funnily enough had the exact problem you had before it basically blew up. Pointed him to an Asus laptop and it's still working 2 years on as far as I know.

I have 3 laptops. One Acer which had horrible HDD corruption after barely 2 years, I had to disable all partitions bar a 64GB one on both the disks to get it working and install an OS on that; a Samsung netbook which is working perfectly after a year and my Asus which is starting to show signs of ageing with it's old, crappy graphics chip, it has the gaming capabilities of my toaster, but is still chugging along happily after 4 years and doesn't have any signs of breaking.

But again, it all just depends on the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Its not just about brands, its about the model of the brand.
Which was right what I said at the start.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #23
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post

But again, it all just depends on the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Its not just about brands, its about the model of the brand.
Typo?

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #24
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Oops. Yup, I meant model.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
That's a consumer opinion poll. Hardly a scientific process. Your 2009 link was done by a 3rd party warranty (Squaretrade). Not trying to say HPs are good, but those links are far from solid evidence. In fact, since they cup Apple's balls, it should give people like you and I pause for thought.

Lulz, I can say, from first hand experience that Apple's are just horrible. I don't know why they rate them so high. The hardware might be solid, but their batteries are horrible and expensive (My replacement is just over a year old and it's already telling me it needs to be replaced) and their power adapters are just horrible. Horrible to the point that there is currently a class action lawsuit that Apple lost and is having to currently pay off those who bought replacements. I've gone through 4 of them since 2007. The cockblocked me when I confronted them by bringing 3 broken power adapters into their store, asking for a new one because I thought it was fair of them to compensate a customer for a forth after buying two replacements.
I think the issue with battery power has always been a problem. Especially in regards to the Macbook Pro series. I wonder how the new Macbook Pros that just came out are. Probably same old.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
Drunken Savior

Heh, well aren't those sealed now? So any problems with the battery requires a lovely trip to a 'genius bar' and then they take your laptop away to do a repair offsite to be done by people who get paid to do what you could normally do with a nickel and 1 minute of your time.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 06-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #27
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
SHUT UP IM SMARTER!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #28
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
tl;dr We can give you suggestions, but you need to look up some information on your own.

Here's some features and other things to consider:
This is a really good breakdown, actually.

I've heard things about HP's overheating which is what's making me slightly wary of them.

And I hadn't even considered USB ports.

Right now I'm semi pre-occupied with packing/finding a job so I'll be sitting down in July to decide.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Also

Quote:
Einhander, I would do that. Then google the model number and ass the word 'forum' to see what some other people are saying.
You said ass. Hehehehehehehe

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #29
Drunken Savior

huhuhuhuhuhuh

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 06-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #30
progmetal
!

Shut up Beavies!

I've had a great Fujitsu Siemens laptop for almost 10 years. It refuses to die, but is slow as heck now obviously. Can surely recommend those. My new Acer is pretty crappy compared to how awesome the Fujitsu laptop were.

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote