The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-11-2004, 01:35 AM   #541
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Joe, you're missing the point. There's a difference between when somebody reviews a game and when somebody is out to attack a certain platform. You said "Am I to believe that you are painted green (as in Xbox green) just because you love this game so much?" No, because I make it perfectly clear that the game has a few faults which I point out, and I definitely don't allow favortism of one company to factor into what could be considered a conscious and deliberate attack against another particular company just because I may not favor the platform on which their game is on. And, actually, whether or not it's an X-Box exclusive doesn't factor into my review in any way. Note a game such as Soul Calibur II. "Real reviewers don't attack other reviewers." Wrong. I'll give you an example. Back when Yoshi's Island came out one magazine gave it a 76. That's correct - a 76. So in an issue of Gamefan Magazine a reviewer (I believe it was Takuhi) commented on this trajedy and made an attack on the other reviewer, and he clearly had a point in doing so. The fact is, saying a game like Yoshi's Island only deserves a 76 is basically like saying "I am a reviewer that lacks integrity and good standards. Please don't take anything I have to say seriously." A review should show a personal opinion, yes, obviously, but it should also display a standard that's somewhat consistent with whatever else the reviewer has done in a similar manner. I've given DMC an 8 and NG an 8 as well -- because I believe that both represent the highest quality of what 3D action gaming has had to offer thus far. That's consistent with what I've have to say, but also it's fair material to the reader/game developer in that I hold no offense towards X or Y company. Therefore, when people read my reviews they don't take it as the gospel truth but I hope they know that my views on what is quality and what is crap don't magically transform just because a particular game appears on this or that platform. Otherwise, I'd call my section "My contrived reviews".

Consistency and balance are two essential elements which every respectable reviewer holds true to. This reviewer clearly has abolished Ninja Gaiden for biased purposes, and that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 05-10-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:11 AM   #542
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well what I got from reading your gripe was that he was bashing Ninja Gaiden just because it was on the Xbox, and that no sane person in the world would dare say Ninja Gaiden is a bad game. I'm saying to you that different people have different opinions. I love ninja games, but Ninja Gheyden is only lukewark for me so far. It is good to have different views on the same game from different people.

If you feel the need to attack other reviewers, then I think that is kind of weak. Let YOUR reviews speak for themselves. Let readers know why you like or dislike a certain feature or game. The readers will then determine which reviewers suck.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:24 AM   #543
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yes, but in case you've forgotten I'm a gamer before I am a reviewer, and I voice my opinions on a myriad of other topics too. When I feel there has been a grave injustice then should I not be allowed to voice my views just like everybody else? As you noticed, I kept my comments in a seperate paragraph from the rest of the review. That was intentional -- it doesn't have to do with the game so much as it does with the idiocy I personally perceived from another reviewer.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:35 AM   #544
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yes, but you said and I quote (using Magic Box's awesome quote feature):
Quote:
When a certain reviewer in the same field as I am...
Basically you are referring to a collegue. Those comments may be in a seperate paragraph, but they should probably be in a seperate thread.

Personal question though: Do you hope to one day be a paid reviewer for a game magazine or website?
Old 03-11-2004, 01:02 PM   #545
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Joe Redifer ~ "Those comments may be in a seperate paragraph, but they should probably be in a seperate thread."

This is my personal thread. What better way to associate any personal comments than by stating them here? (Same goes for in game magazines.)

~ "Personal question though: Do you hope to one day be a paid reviewer for a game magazine or website?"

No, not at all. And you have to think: who in this day and age would try to hire me to review games? Just think of what I would do to their identity. For example, supposed I had to review something by Square (a big name title) that I don't like. I'd demolish it in my review. Meanwhile, look at how everybody else praises them. Can you even imagine what would happen in just that one instance? They (Square) would pull all advertisements from the mag and they'd get some fan mail (I'd probably get a cult following) while most of it would be hate mail against me. What do you think the editor(s) would think about that? Not that I personally give a damn about any controversy, especially over something like video games, but you can imagine what would happen pretty easily.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-11-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:26 AM   #546
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Who let the clowns out?

Mr. Do! - ColecoVision - Rating 4
When I want to play something I usually head for the usual suspects. Sega and Nintendo products come to mind immediately. But every once in awhile I like to kick back with some old classics. And since I'm in a groovy mood I decided on the ColecoVision.

Cue rabid cheers from the retro crowd.

Thank you. Thank you. This little title, Mr. Do!, doesn't do too much special admittedly. You walk around collecting cherries and either dropping apples on enemies or attacking with his powerball which bounces around until Mr. Do! either recovers it or it hits an enemy in which case you get it back anyway.
Mr. Do! is a clown, you see, and what is it that clowns like to do best? ....Correct: scare little children, but I digress. When Mr.Do! isn't busy working for an insane asylum or starring in some particularly kinky X-rated thriller he can usually be found chilling at his ranch. Yeah, that's right. Everybody knows that clowns are some damn good farmers.
The object of the game is simple: collect all the cherries on the screen and stay alive. And if you win you get treated to a music video by Kris Kross. Oh wait, this isn't a Sega CD game. Hell no! This is ColecoVision, "WHERE THE BIG BOYS PLAY".
(Quote copyrighted by WCW.)
The game is divided into scenes (basically stages) and they're all pretty similar to one another. I mean take a look at this screenshot from the game and you'll get the entire picture.

Click here to see thousands of naked chicks!!! ~ http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/coleco/mrdoCV.html

Well, not really, you sicko! Anyway, the game bears more than a passive resemblance to Dig Dug! (Who doesn't remember that game?) So if you've ever wondered what it would be like to be a clown for a day collecting cherries while staying alive by avoiding Badguys and Blue Chompers (the clown's natural predator) then go pick up a copy for some quick fun. Just be sure to leave the door open a crack with the hall light on before you go to bed.

Page dedicated to Mr. Do! ~ http://www.mrdo.com/mrdo/
For those tough spots when you can't quite figure out how to perform those difficult tasks, like 'collect the cherries', this FAQ guide has got you covered ~ http://www.mrdo.com/mrdo/mrdofaq.txt
Am I the only person who finds this disturbing? (Warning: must be 18 or older to view.) ~ http://www.venus.dti.ne.jp/~kimiz/PI...oft/Mr.Do!.JPG
Check out screens of Neo- Mr. Do! as well as other Neo Geo softs here ~ http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/screenshots/n-o.html

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-12-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:04 PM   #547
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

--Update--

Phew! Just updated my section with tons of new links and lots of proofreading and added content to the first 8 or 9 pages of reviews. Lots of work.

My metacarpals hurt.....
Old 03-17-2004, 05:19 AM   #548
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I'll be on vacation for awhile. I need to take a break from all the gaming for awhile. When I return (and I shall) my first review will be Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast).
Old 03-17-2004, 03:18 PM   #549
NEO-GEO
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Icarus4578
I'll be on vacation for awhile. I need to take a break from all the gaming for awhile. When I return (and I shall) my first review will be Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast).
I love that game.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:01 PM   #550
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I hated that game.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:10 PM   #551
gearhound1
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NEO-GEO
I love that game.
yep, me too.
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:01 AM   #552
Smirnof-X

Icarus...you are a genious (im not, thats why ive just miss-spelled it). Ive read a few of your reviews...The level of passion and enthusiasm in your reviews reminds me of GameFan - the best Game mag ever made. Seriously man, your writing is on a different plane that any of the mags out there, like serious gamefan level. If your not working for a mag now, you should seriously persue it...

Even though i disagree on some things (like FFX and Halo) its still entertaining as hell, and refreshing to hear oppinions that arent simply echo's of other peoples...

Best reviews I've read for 4 years man (year gamefan went out) honest to god. keep up the good work.
Smirnof-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:19 AM   #553
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Joe, why do you hate SoA? Please elaborate.

Smirnof-X, thanks for the compliments. I too love Gamefan Magazine, even if I felt some bias in the reviews. So what? They had the best damn magazine ever. Nevertheless, when Gamefan died the passion went out of game journalism. So I began this thread to personally apply myself to the task that has been forlorn and forgotten -- 100% passionate dedication to gaming. It's a shame what has happened over the course of the past 5 or so years in the industry, so I hope I stir the crowds a little. I also hope that I've attracted a hardcore fanbase, no matter how small or large, because when I can sit here subjectively analyzing different aspects of games and gaming as an entity (like with other members such as Joe Redifer, Gearhound, etc.) then I feel it is worth the effort.

If I ran a game magazine it would have a very similar feel to the old Gamefan. Yes... that would be sweet.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:12 PM   #554
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Perhaps "hate" is too strong a word. It should also be noted that I have been displeased with RPGs in general since the beginning of the 32 bit days. They require too much investment of my time (ie: I can't play them casually). There is always the rare exception. With Skies of Arcadia, the battles were WAY TOO FREQUENT. Just trying to get from point A to point B was extremely annoying. Gaaarr! The story was that of a typical RPG and offered nothing new or unique, except you have ships that sail in the air. The music is boring as well. There are like 5 decent tunes in the entire soundtrack (yes, I actually have the soundtrack) and even those 5 tunes are nothing special. The graphics are average as well. People love the hell out of this game, I think, because it was one of the few Dreamcast RPGs.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:00 PM   #555
jeremy_aerts

You are wrong joe, people don't love the game just because it is one of the few dreamcast rpgs. It was the best dreamcast game ever!!! I LOVE that game! And the graphics for the dreamcast are anything BUT average! no fmv either! The whold world of skies was unique i.e. floating continents.

If you thought the music was boring then *why* did you buy the sound track? Although i do agree that battles are too frequent, wasn't that fixed with the gamecube port? And i have been begging to know when skies 2 comes out???