The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-28-2004, 11:32 PM   #526
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I was never able to beat Shining the Holy Ark. I got quite far and then I got quite stuck. It was great while it lasted, though. Motoi Sakuraba (El Viento, Granada, Baten Kaitos, Shining Force series, Star Ocean series, Earnest Evans, Sol Feace, etc) did a great job on the soundtrack, and the arranged CD of this game is even better! We're talking 8 minute tracks (some longer) and it is rockin'!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:55 PM   #527
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

How come I never heard about that soundtrack?! Damn it....
Old 02-29-2004, 04:28 AM   #528
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It's awesome. Only 10 tracks I believe. Vic do you still have that CD? I have it on MiniDisc.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:27 PM   #529
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Yes I still have the CD. It's awesome. I love the synth work. great stuff.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:59 PM   #530
Magnus
The world's stopping but we keep going

Thanks to Icarus for letting me post this review.

Game: Terranigma
Developer: Quintet
Publisher: Enix
Year: 1996 (Europe/PAL)
System: SNES
Score: 9
Personal Score: 10

Ahhh?Terranigma. From the moment that the opening theme played I was hooked. Released in 1995 in Japan and 1996 in PAL territories, Terranigma is possibly the best Action RPG on the SNES. And for people about to mention Zelda that?s an ADVENTURE game ? NOT an RPG. In Terranigma you play as Ark, a mischievous boy who manages to get into trouble quite easily. After being sent to apologize to the weavers for letting chickens into their weaving house yesterday you return and find your friends surrounding the forbidden door. Once you break the door, open Pandora?s Box and release Yomi your adventure begins.

Terranigma relies heavily on towers at the start of the game, thrusting you into five of them before your adventure really takes place. After using the towers to revive the world above, off you go and begin your real adventure?More dungeons and the like, in fact another 4 long areas to slog through. While that sounds really negative and depressing, the areas are relatively easy to progress in and the game really does pick up once you finish these areas since the last area revives humans. Overall the game does a fantastic job at pacing itself. While it starts out fairly slowly, a difference to a game like Chrono Trigger, it soon picks up steam so fast that it can seem like a real ride to keep up with the story ? which twists and turns at a cracking pace.

The graphics are very nice, with some beautiful animation for Ark and his cohorts. The backgrounds may look relatively plain compared to other games released this late into the SNES' lifespan but that?s more than made up for by the characters, which exude a high level of detail. Quintet added some nice touches as well. Instead of the whole ?flat world? approach taken by most developers working with mode 7, Quintet has included filters that stretch a sky over top and stretches the ground at the bottom. While initially annoying it just makes the world feel more rounded when you get used to it.

The sound is a bit of a mixed bag. The main theme conveys a real adventurous element which sets the game up and generally the music is moving and driving and of a high quality. However some of the dungeon music is repetitive to hear in dungeon after dungeon and some pieces just don?t fit in well. Overall though, I rate it very highly.

As mentioned with the story it twists and turns so fast that it can be hard to keep up with it all. The game just starts with you reviving Earth and then the fauna and flora. Soon you must help humans while learning about your destiny and the light and dark. Needless to say it gets quickly complicated when humans are involved.

The game boasts a decent length, about 20 hours though there are a lot of side quests so that figure can be bolstered towards 30 hours. The side quests are usually a lot of fun to do and some can be tricky to find. The best side quest in the game is easily building up the towns. Depending on your actions towns can be expanded and offer better services to your character. One town when built up even allows Ark to buy his own flat. While some towns are easy to build up others can be very difficult to do. Usually the best method is by trade but you need to know what to trade and who to give it to. The game can also be very cruel with the town building, allowing you only a certain time frame to build the towns up in.

The game throws a nice amount of friends for you including the obnoxious Meilin, Royd and Fyda, Perel and another who I wont spoil for you. There are also a great amount of NPC?s for you to interact with including Columbus, Bell, Rich, Wright and so on.

The combat in the game is pleasant and easy with a good amount of moves Ark can perform. The enemies generally aren?t too hard though the boss battles can be a real pain to fight. Especially the final battle where you will spend more time healing and blocking rather than attacking. The Magic system in the game dosent receive the same praise however. You need to collect MagiRock to use spells in the game and while you will amass a good amount in the end, at the start you wont generally have enough to get through. The magic is also generally useless in the game, allowing only a few spells and chances are that you wont use them anyway.

Terranigma is a great game and recommended to all RPG fans. While it does have flaws such as certain cities like Neo Tokio fully developed while such things as electricity hasn?t been invented yet and the painful and tedious boss battles, the game far outshines those few insignificant flaws. I havent been able to cover everything in this review though I will say the following:
The graphics are great, the music is great and most of all the game is great. If you enjoyed Soul Blazer or Illusion of Gaia it is almost a sin not to play this. Persoanlly I hold this as the best RPG on the SNES and my favourite game. Highly recommended.

http://www.terraearth.com/
Information and just about everything for Terranigma and its brothers Illusion of Gaia and Soul Blazer.

Last edited by Magnus; 03-12-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:17 AM   #531
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Nice job. :cool guy:
Old 03-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #532
Magnus
The world's stopping but we keep going

Thanks. It was harder than I thought it would be though, I must be getting rusty at writing nowadays.

What reviews do you have coming up Icarus?
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #533
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Icarus, did you review Rygar for the PS2 yet?
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:46 PM   #534
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Yeah Terranigma was good. Never came out here so I played the rom.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:07 AM   #535
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Magnus, Ninja Gaiden shall be my next review.

AtariX, I reviewed Rygar (PS2) on Page #1.

Juste, that's just because they're retarded.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-18-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:34 AM   #536
gearhound1
Banned

better give that bad boy a 9 or 10!!
Quote:
Originally posted by AtariX
Icarus, did you review Rygar for the PS2 yet?
he did, but his review is quite lame (no offense). i love rygar. i think maybe i should review it it certainly deserves much more than a 4

Last edited by gearhound1; 03-10-2004 at 04:48 AM.
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:25 AM   #537
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

A Rating - 4 is all that Rygar (PS2) is getting from me. It's short, has about 7 enemies total, and wasn't much to my liking. It sure did look great though.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:42 PM   #538
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Fulfill your destiny

Ninja Gaiden - X-Box - Rating 8
It's about damn time! I've been waiting fervidly for a sequel to one of my favorite 8-bit series and my wanting has finally come to fruition. The hype and hoopla surrounding Ninja Gaiden for X-Box has been nothing short of spectacular. Indeed, the original, held in high esteem, had done for the NES what no game previous to it could ever hope to do: provided the gamer with a cinematic approach unlike anything seen before while maintaining a sensibility and style all its own in the action genre that few other games could ever hope to clash with. And so the demands of the die-hard fans of the series held a justifiable belief in Tecmo (notably Team NINJA) to get the job done the right way. Tecmo did no less than call it "The greatest action game ever made.".... That's a lotta hype to live up to. Did they succeed?
Ninja Gaiden is not the same game as was the previous installments, but also not an entirely different game. Then again, who wants the series to stagnate in the "same game" syndrome synonymous with many other series' sequels anyway? (And how many more words can I find that start with the letter 's'?) While I wouldn't go so far as to aggrandize this sequel to the status of "revolutionary", nor "original", I will say that it takes some of the best elements from many other sources of obvious inspiration, besides the actual series that it is in its thusness of course. For example, one can easily trace resemblances to other titles such as Shinobi on PS2 (the way Ryu runs on walls), Zelda series (the explorative/puzzle aspects), Devil May Cry (Ryu fights very similarly to Dante), and even Resident Evil (the way clues are left around in notes and on dead bodies). Or maybe it's unfair to critique NG in this way. After all, how many games out there are derivative in some form or another, whether intentionally or unintentionally, of some other title? I'll just kill this off by saying that everything NG delivers it delivers with astonishing results.
The Dragon Sword and the Dark Dragon Blade, both legendary weapons, are the centerpiece on which the story unfolds. So what about the Demon Statues from the previous games? They don't figure into the story here that much, at least not on the surface. Evil forces are at work, aspiring to take the Dark Dragon Blade into their facility. However, the Hayabusa Ninja Clan safeguards this very sword. It's only a short matter of time before their village is attacked and the sword is taken....
That sums up the basic story at the beginning. Many other developments occur throughout the entirety of the quest and different agendas and frictions transpire between many of the characters, many of which are new to the series such as Rachel who is searching for someone important, and Ayane, better known from the Dead or Alive series as Kasumi's half-sister, who is a part of the Hayabusa clan and aids Ryu in his journey. There are many new villains that will be encountered as well, such as Doku, Alma, and The Dark Disciple. The gamer is immersed into the world of NG by means of in-game cinemas and FMV as well, both of which look excellent.
The game is played from a third-person perspective throughout the entirety of the game, except for when aiming with the bow & arrows (which can also be zoomed in twice with the R trigger). Let me describe a bit about how this plays. Ryu can do all the usual feats which most every character in a 3D environment can do such as walk, run, jump, fight, and investigate certain things. Jumping is a vital skill throughout the game so master it early. You'll have to learn how to jump towards a wall at an angle in order to run on it, so to speak, for about a second. And then you'll have to learn how to do multiple wall runs/jumps in a row. This tactic is used more to its fullest after about halfway through the game. However, good players will come to realize its advantages early on. Also, Ryu can run up and jump off walls in order to reach higher areas (Flying Bird Flip), grab ledges and move along them from side to side/climb up, roll, defend, counterattack (after you've found the proper scroll), and much more. There's also Ki energy which Ryu uses for Ninpo magic attacks.
The combat in this game is second-to-none. It's some of the absolute best you'll ever find in an action game anywhere. Ryu begins the game with the Dragon Sword and unlimited shurikens (which are used to stall your enemies, more or less), but as he makes his way through the game will acquire a slew of other melee weaponry including Nunchaku, Vigoorian Flail (a stronger version of nunchaku with hooked blades attached), Dabilahro (a massive sword), War Hammer (self-explanatory), a Spear Gun for underwater combat, and even a Wooden Sword which, when fully powered up, becomes one of the best weapons in the game, plus more. Here's the coolest part: every single weapon has its own moves list which can be accessed from the inventory screen, and most weapons can be leveled-up at Muramasa's shop (he's a very notable blacksmith with extensive knowledge of weaponry), some weapons being capable of three or more levels. When you level-up a particular weapon it increases not only the damage it can dish out but also the moves/combos available, increasing the depth of the combative nature of the game drastically. Controlling Ryu is almost as comprehensive as controlling several characters in Soul Calibur. Then there's projectile weaponry such as the Windmill Shuriken which acts like a boomerang (remember this? ;)), an assortment of different types of arrows that can be used with your bow, and others. Furthermore, Ryu can equip accessories which give him different attributes such as add defense, attack-up, and even gradual health recovery. You can only equip one accessory at any particular time. There's also items to be found/bought such as Elixir of Spiritual Life which gives back lost energy and Lives of the Thousand Gods which expands the limit of his life bar. At 16 Chapters you can expect this game to take you quite a bit of time to beat your first time through. There's much exploration to be done, and you'll have to backtrack at times, but Tecmo keeps things fresh by constantly adding a new perspective. How? By changing the enemies various times (and believe me, this makes a world of a difference). As this game is massive you'll find maps to practically every area, one of which happens to consist of TEN LEVELS! There's a lot more but I'd rather discuss the combat.
When you fight you use X and Y to do different attacks and different combos can be performed by pressing buttons and/or combinations in different orders. Of course there's jumping and running attacks, plus Ryu can use essence which is left behind when enemies are defeated for many purposes. Yellow essence acts as the currency of the game, blue essence restores health, and red essence will refill Ryu's Ki gauge. There's also another use for essence: when you hold down Y Ryu begins to charge his weapon and this will absorb whatever essence may be hovering about. When charged, if you release the Y button Ryu will do a far more powerful attack/combo which will deal often devastating damage. In order to truly be effective in combat you have to learn how to properly evade and guard against different attacks (guarding is performed by holding down the L trigger). Enemies start off reasonably challenging and only proceed to get harder and harder. But, and I attach added stress to but, the idea is to hone your gaming skills faster than the computer. If you can't keep up then expect more trouble than you've bargained for -- Ninja Gaiden is tough the first time through. Enemies are widely varied and consist of everything from various types of ninjas, samurai, and soldiers, to huge wasp-like creatures and massive insects, zombies that use massive axes, flails, and bow & arrows (!:yikes:!), and even dragons!! You'll get the works here, that's for certain. And the bosses are among the very best ever seen, and there's a TON of them! Many of them are very hard to defeat too! Needless to say, you should save often.
The graphics are superior to the FMV in most 32-bit games. No, I'm not exaggerating. That's the truth and you have no choice but to accept it as fact. There's so many locations and high-quality textures on everything that the entire game is a visual feast the likes of which you've never seen previously on your X-Box. Marble pillars look like marble pillars, stone looks just like stone, and steel looks just as cold as it really is. Given all the (very) evident graphical prowess of Team NINJA I'm just curious why in a certain part in the game when there's a puddle on the ground you cannot see Ryu's reflection in it, and yet when you make it a bit farther you'll come across a mirror and Ryu's reflection is now present. Intentional, or just overlooked? I'm betting it's intentional, judging from.... well, I cannot disclose that information. Sorry.
I do have a few issues with the game, but nothing major. For one thing, the camera is a hassle for the first few hours. Some of the views are very restricting and often times either Ryu or the screen itself obscures important elements which the gamer must be able to perceive clearly in order to be as effective in combat as possible. Sometimes I had to rely on sound over visual, and sometimes I had no real choice in getting hit because I had no idea that an enemy was waiting just off the side of the screen and in the process of pulling off an attack. Please understand, I do have legitimate reason to be a bit disappointed in this feature of the game, especially given the massive amount of development time (delays, delays, delays) this game consumed. In order to 'fix' the camera you have to press the R trigger to adjust the view into whichever direction Ryu is facing. However, if his back is up against a wall the camera will most often rise above him which can lead to even more confusion. This doesn't happen much to me anymore because I've gotten this knowledge down pat and I strongly suggest you do as well. Also, after I beat the game on Hard I didn't get to keep all the stuff I earned, but I cannot really transform a personal wish into some inherent fault with the game just because Tecmo didn't design the game completely to my specifications. That would be like me complaining about the same thing in a Zelda or Castlevania, and that's not the right thing to do. What I can say is that I was somewhat disappointed in the disingenuous ending, but at least I opened up a Theater Gallery + a new (stupid) costume I'll never use. What is cool is that all three of the original NES NG titles are present in the game, but they're hidden.
The soundtrack sets the tone very admirably, sounding as if it were what you'd expect to hear in a movie based off the series. Once you've beaten the game you can access the sound test. The song 'Annoyances' is, well, fitting for the appropriate situations in which it is utilized such as when fighting the samurai soldiers on the horses. Then there's songs like 'An Easy Enemy' which has sections that made me want scream out "MORTAL KOMBAT!" due to its resemblance to the music in that motion picture. 'Sudden Threat' sounds like Ridge Racer music gone awry, and 'Stand In The Way' begins with some cool percussion which quickly builds into something more sinister (It was used to the best effect during the fight with the huge Electric Worm mid-bosses). The voices can be set to either English or Japanese, and you can turn on/off subtitles. I opted for the Japanese voices and it sounded just great to me. Sound effects are strong throughout.
Simply put - if you own an X-Box then you'll own this game. And if you don't own an X-Box this game presents a compelling argument for you to do so. It does for the X-Box what DMC does for the PS2, and is superior to DMC in most every way imaginable. Dante is still a cooler character though. Certainly, if you're a wuss gamer then you shouldn't bother because this game is going to treat you worse than even the original installments did, considering you even played any of them (I'm working on the assumption that whomever it is that's reading my review is not a newbie loser that doesn't know your Kid Niki from your Ninja Kid). If you are relatively new to gaming and don't know the difference yet between 'instant gratification' and 'sheer difficulty' I recommend you go play this game and, in the process, make your first big step away from being a casual consumer and becoming a gamer with some level of actual skill.
I'll leave one point off for the sequel which I expect to be even better, and one point off for some annoying camera problems. The rest of the game smokes. Do yourself a favor and go buy it.

BTW, I'd like to bring up something I feel is important. When a certain reviewer in the same field as I am decides to give top-quality software such as NG something like a C- any true gamer should know that this person is tainted the color blue (as in Sony blue) and should not be taken as legitimate. This is a huge problem with many reviewers out there who claim to "call it down the middle" and yet harbor massive favortism towards Sony or whomever (most always Sony) that prevents them from reviewing a game on another platform in a clear and open-minded manner. What I'm saying is that this particular reviewer is a cancer in the gaming press and his opinions should never be seriously considered when deciding which game you'd like to purchase on your X-Box or GC. Had NG come out on PS2 instead of X-Box I guaran-tee you he would've pulled an about-face and probably would've called it the greatest action game ever made, or at least as good as DMC, which would mean the same thing to him anyway because both would be on a Sony platform and, therefore by default, be the best action games ever made.

Just getting that off of my chest. There. I feel relieved now. I know -- I should play some more Ninja Gaiden. :cool guy:

Here are some sites dedicated to our friendly ninja hero Ryu.
This is the Ninja Gaiden Homepage. That's what it says anyway ~ http://www.classicgaming.com/ninjagaiden/
Direct from X-Box.com comes Ninja Gaiden screens and info ~ http://www.xbox.com/en-us/ninjagaiden/default.htm
Naturally, I have to include Neotaku which covers everything Tecmo ~ http://www.neotaku.com/

Last edited by Icarus4578; 11-08-2004 at 04:04 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:44 PM   #539
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Or what if the reviewer just doesn't like the game? Not every person sees every game the same way. When people complain that they can't believe that games like Zelda get a horribly low score like 99 out of 100, I just laugh at their stupidity (the people complaining, not the reviewers). I think it's great to have many diversified reviewers out there. Am I to believe that you are painted green (as in Xbox green) just because you love this game so much? After all, it is an Xbox exclusive and those seem to get more praise from Xbox owners... just to give them something to gloat about. Am I right? Yes and no. But regardless, not everyone MUST like this game as much as you do. Thinking that it deserves better than a C- from everybody is not only retarded, but it is biased as well. Different people, different opinions. Live with it.

Also, real reviewers don't attack other reviewers. Why not? They don't need to.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:12 PM   #540
gearhound1
Banned

i am certainly not biased. so what if it's on the XBOX? team ninja wanted NG to be amazing, so they put it on the most powerful system. NG is an amzing game, and anybody with half a brain should realize its greatness. NG screams quality. for the most part, if you do not like NG, then you do not like action games or games for the most part. maybe it is because you do not know how to handle the camera. the game received stellar reviews for a reason.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
Am I to believe that you are painted green (as in Xbox green) just because you love this game so much? After all, it is an Xbox exclusive and those seem to get more praise from Xbox owners... just to give them something to gloat about. Am I right? Yes and no.
the people who gloat about a game, the ones who only have an xbox, are morons. praising or bashing a game just because it is on a specific system is so pathetic. after playing NG, i read the review from gaming age again and realized how full of it he is. give me a break. his review is a joke.

Last edited by gearhound1; 03-10-2004 at 11:23 PM.
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote