The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-17-2004, 12:22 AM   #16
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

YAY my computer is fixed!! Its weird, I guess my processor was a barton core, which I didnt even know it was. I was sure it wasnt when I bought it. So all they had to do was set some stuff on the motherboard to recoginze it, and then flash the bios and upgrade it. It only cost $85 too, less than I had expected. And I was talking to the computer guy about Hard drives, and he said that Maxtor has a 70% failure rate and that Seagate is even worse!! He says Western Digital and IBM are the best. Remember Seska you said Seagate was good. But this guy cant be wrong, cuz he weighs like 700 pounds. All he does is sit around doing computer stuff which means he must know better of course. And my hard drive is a Maxtor so I hope its part of the 30% ratio! Oh well my computer is fixed now and I can have fun now!!!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 04:13 AM   #17
Alucard

Do some research on the net and you'll see that he is speaking ****. Western Digital are by far one of the worst. IBM is excellent. Seagate is excellent. Its like the guy who told this other friend of mine that Soltek motherboards are the worst on the market. Pretty funny considering they win award after award.

Just because he works in a store doesn't make him an expert. Do the research on the net and then buy things. Dont listen to what they say.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:53 AM   #18
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Actually, he is kind of an expert. He doesnt work in a store, him and his brother own a repair shop. They also build custom computers. But your right, I should research it myself. But without doing the research, for some reason it just seems easier to listen to the guy who works on computer for a living than some guys who run a forum. No offense, really, I appreciate all the help you guys have given me. My thought is, that maybe in the past Maxtor had a large failure rate or something, and since hes been in the buisness for so long thats all he remebers about them and has just lost trust in them. But I dont care, Ive had a 40 Gb Maxtor for over a year and it still works fine.

Last edited by SpaceManSpiff; 02-19-2004 at 04:00 AM.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:35 AM   #19
Alucard

I never said Maxtor was a bad brand. Western Digital is. Anyone who recommends this brand has issues. Of all the HDDs I've owned and my friends have owned, all I ever saw was the WD ones dying. When my WD died, Western Digital wouldn't admit till about 2-3months later that that actual model was defective. Alot of pissed off people out there.

All the well respected sites on the net that people go to for info such as Sharkys and Toms Hardware, all of them give Seagate and Soltek very high awards. So I'd rather listen to them. I also have friends who are techs and they also wont go near Western Digital.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:34 AM   #20
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alucard
I never said Maxtor was a bad brand. Western Digital is.
I never said you did. I agreed with you.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:47 AM   #21
Gamer CJ
US Marine

hey spiffy, i wanna donat 3 dollors to your game fund, i was gona rent a movie with it, but i remembered you were taking an offering and just went home and played chess with myself.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:19 AM   #22
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamer CJ
hey spiffy, i wanna donat 3 dollors to your game fund, i was gona rent a movie with it, but i remembered you were taking an offering and just went home and played chess with myself.
Thats a verbal contract. You now have to pay me. I will send you the address to send it to once I get enough in the fund.