The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-13-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
Alucard

Thief: Deadly Shadows <-- OMG ghey!!

Theres a new preview up at gamespot that talks about the game. Theres some cool little points about stealing from any house and any person and whatnot. But I'm just gonna post up the two things that annoyed me about this new game. Ok, maybe 3...

The game has 2 view modes. Third person and first person. We all know why theres a third person mode for... All I can say is this new view is a bit of a cheating option. Aside from looking around, you can easily keep track of a certain radius viewline around you so noone can sneak up on you. Plus its a way big cheating option to look around corners without being seen. With first person view you were forced to only be aware of one direction, not knowing if someone was coming up behind you or just walking past a little ways back on patrol. If you looked around the corner, you were spotted. You had to make sure you were in the shadows if you planned on looking where you weren't familiar with. The third person view pretty much takes alot of atmosphere and skill from the game. You can argue with me, but if you played Thief you'd understand.

Quote:
Skilled players can weave in and out of the path of an enemy's sword while also attacking with a dagger or firing point-blank arrows. However, if you need to make a hasty retreat, you can also toss a smoke bomb into a guard's path and then run while he's blinded, or you can wound him badly enough to make him pause or flee. It will actually be possible to complete Thief: Deadly Shadows by killing off every single enemy, though it certainly won't be easy.

Fortunately if you do get spotted by the guards, you'll have other options besides just running in the opposite direction or hiding and waiting until they lose your trail. According to Spector, being stuck with just these two options "just isn't fun." Garrett also has plenty of other tricks up his sleeve, such as the ability to flatten himself against walls to better hide himself from view or being able to simply scale walls when the defenses around the front door are too tight.
Oh thank you mister Spector for making Garrett suddenly a fucking lethal machine. He's a thief. The point of being a thief is to be stealthy and avoid detection. When you were spotted your only choice was to run and hope to get far enough infront of him to hide in some shadows and hope to god the UBER guard lost you. Now I am so happy to know that I can deck everyone in the game without fear. I am now GOD!

You can see why they did this. Most likely because of the console version. Anyone with half a brain will know the game is too slow paced for console gamers and they would get bored after a while. In the old games there were levels where the requirement was NOT to kill anyone, and to get inside the large building and back out without being spotted. Well I'm sure that would be just a tad too hard for them. The atmosphere will not be the same knowing I can take out anyone. Retards.

Last thing is the game engine. They CLAIM its an 'enhanced' version of the Deus Ex 2 engine. From the screenshots, judging the character models, I see no 'enhanced' **** at all. They look just as plain. Though to be fair thats the least of my worries. Its why they're doing this that annoys me. Console specs. I also love how they say they know what went right and wrong with DX2 and hope to make this game better by learning from that. Yet everytime I see Spector open his mouth he's always saying DX2 came out exactly as they wanted it and he can't understand why the hardcore fns are disappointed.

You're a n00b Spector. Go away. You're spoiling games instead of making them creative. You and your entire Eidos console mentality.

Um...below is the link that has some extra details about the game. Also it looks like the game wont be out till second half of this year. Quite a few delays there eg mister Spector? CONCENTRATE ON ONE FUCKING PLATFORM YOU FUCKING SPINELESS SELLOUT!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/...w_6089325.html
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 10:23 AM   #2
Seska

Well, from reading those details it seems to me that the extra options Garrettt now has available have little to do with fighting or decking enemies. More like confusing them (with smoke bombs) while they chase you, or scaling walls/flattening up against them. These seem perfectly fine and in character with Garretts Thief persona - I'd be pissed if they had given him martial arts kicks and punches to take on enemies.

However what disturbs me is the comment that you can finish the game killing every single guard. I mean, WTF? In previous games, the higher the difficulty levels were, the stricter were the goals to complete stages TOTALLY undetected or without killing a single person. Sounds to me like Mr Spector wants to make a Splinter Cell clone.

DX2 was an utter failure and Im damn glad it never even made the top ten lists. If Thief 3: Retarded Shadows is anywhere as unpolished as DX2 was, I hope it fails in jsut the same ways. If DX hardcore fans were so unforgiving with DX2, brace yourself With Thief 3, Ion Storm, because it may just be the Daikatana Eidos is waiting for to boot your sorry asses into the street.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:26 AM   #3
Alucard

I was more refering to the later part where Spector says you now have another option instead of running, and that being combat. In the old games if you tried to fight a guard you had a very good chance of losing. No wits something he can pull off normally? No. Not too pleased.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:31 AM   #4
Seska

WEll the way I saw that is that in previous Thief games the only options were to run and run, or hide in some shadows. Him saying now you can toss a smoke bomb, flatten against a wall or scale it, seem like the "other options" he mentioned. Im sure it wouldnt be combat, I mean, no one would bother with scaling walls or hiding if you can take out every guard you meet.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
Dead Account 01

I try and ignore the game's existance. Ion Storm are clearly quite happy to f@ck up their titles by multiplatforming them.

Xbox = the worst thing ever for the PC gaming industry.
Dead Account 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:33 PM   #6
Alucard

You can say that again.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #7
jeremy_aerts

ahhhh, thief 3 and dues ex 2 are meant ONLY for the PC!!! why!?!?!?!? why must they make them "simpler" for retarded console players
Old 02-14-2004, 09:17 AM   #8
Cobi*
renegade

^ hey don't say that about console gamers...

It wouldn't be so bad if they made a distinction between the PC and console versions of the game. As in they made a "full" version for the PC and a "lite" version for consoles... it's too bad they don't see it that way (or do and can't afford to do it) =\
Cobi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:03 AM   #9
Seska

To be honest, its not the console gamers that are retarded, its the developers that are by not taking a rist and believing that some console gamers DO have an attention span longer than 5 minutes.

Looking Glass Studios will be spinning in its grave - they knew how to take risks and make the games the way they truly wanted - not the way the market wanted. And every time they did, the market loved the games and they opened new genres.

Ion Storm is doing only what the market wants, selling out, pimping out LGS titles and screwing over the fans again and again. The fanbase is harsh and Ion Storm isnt going to get away unscathed.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:03 PM   #10
jeremy_aerts

Looking Glass was one of my fav companies of all time, i miss them...why do companies like that and black isle have to go away and companies like acclaim stay???